General Dance Discussion > Drills to learn step timing patterns

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by ticolora, Nov 16, 2016.

1. ticolora

ticolora Member

Country western at my place are being taught in 3 different step timing patterns:
    QQS, QQSS, and QQSQQSSS

(side question: are these called triple step, two step, and double two step?)

What are the drills to get these patterns into my bones?

1. Should I practice one after the other back to back? or practice one for a week, and then the other for a week and so on?

2. Should I practice to the same song, so I don't get stuck with a particular pattern for a particular song? (I understand there are tempo constraints, but that's aside).

3. Should I practice in place, or walk the pattern on the floor? (I found doing so makes it very hard to do anything but a basic, because I learn to follow pattern on the floor - you through a turn in there and lose my timing)

4. I was told it is better to practice with feets off the ground, so you disassociate feeling of step from the pattern...something like that.

Any particular drills I should do?

Bonus question: is there a precise term for "step timing pattern", i.e.

Triple step is a <term> that follows QQSQQS pattern on 1 & 2 3 & 4

2. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Are you talking about one dance or different ones?

A triple step is when you have three steps within two beats of music. Counted "1&2," "3&4," etc.

As for drills, I would work on one dance, one basic, one timing for a few minutes. Do it over and over, counting out loud, then in your head, until you feel comfortable. Then, assuming you're talking about one dance, do another pattern the same way, etc. Then go back to the first one and see if you can still do it. Then try putting them together and see if you can alternate between the two.

If you're talking about different dances, I would practice one for a little while, then switch and do the other one. It's good for you to develop a couple of dances at the same time/rate, in my opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean by statement #4.

3. ticolora

ticolora Member

#4. "Feets off the ground" meaning sitting in a lazy chair as opposite to standing on my feets.

4. twnkltoz

If it works for you, go for it. We all learn in different ways, so if something works for you, go for it. Especially if it means you can get in a little extra practice while at work, etc.

Also, I am a crazy visualizer. When I'm learning a routine or new dance, etc., I visualize myself doing it over and over and over. I'll play the music in the car and dance in my head. Dance in my head when I lie down to sleep at night. Dance in my head when I'm waiting in the doctor's office. Etc... It helps a LOT.

5. ticolora

ticolora Member

So I know what to look for, is there a point where I don't have to keep 1&2 3&4 5 6 count in my head? I mean after a lot of practice.

6. twnkltoz

If you can reliably do the pattern without counting, you'll probably just stop naturally.

7. Partner Dancer

Partner Dancer Well-Known Member

If you need a protracted description of CW2S and related stuff,
    just search Wikipedia...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country-western_two-step

but this is more likely to confuse than help. One should notice that
    almost any combinations of QQ and S are legitimate.

I consider "QQSS" as the basic timing and all else as alternate
    timing, with "QQS" as the quick basic timing. A novice leader
    (who has no experience counting) should/can lead only "QQSS"
    patterns for a good 6+ months, while developing the other
    partnering skills. Likewise, an experienced leader should/can
    lead only "QQSS" patterns while dancing with a novice follower
    (who has no experience counting), while acclimating the
    follower to other partnering skills.

Dance timing "changes" as one gets more advanced in dancing
    anyway, so obsessing about pattern timings early on is often
    unnecessarily stressful.

Here is a previous thread on the issue...

http://www.dance-forums.com/threads/overthinking-the-two-step.41253/

I stand by my old posts (#17, #41) reqarding how "QQSS" is better
    interpreted as QQQ-S- (or 123-5-).