*dusting off cobwebs*

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Mitra, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Mitra

Mitra New Member

My oh my, its been ages since I was last on these boards ^^ *whips out a broom, chases away the dust bunnies*

For those who remember me, I'm the 20something from MN that had gone through Fred Astaire training and became an instructor for a short while before retiring that path to go back to college.

Then life happens *rolls eyes*

Good to know I at least still have this old account. Anyways, I did go back to college, but only for a while before running into a.....problem, I guess you could call it. Regardless, I can't afford to college right now and finish my degree off, so I am forced to work full time until I can afford it again.

And despite time, I still ramble ^^ Why am I back? Why not? Ever since leaving FADS, I kept dancing, but for pleasure again, mostly doing Cumbia and Salsa with a good friend of mine. But now, strapped down for cash extremely so, I do not have the luxury to go to dances anymore. However, I've had some luck. I actually now have a very serious dance partner. Turns out this gentleman that was friends with one of my room mates used to teach at FADS too. What luck! We tried a night of dancing just for random fun to get the rusty gears working again, and since then we've been inseparable. I have found a renewed love in dance. We actually have fun when we dance, despite mistakes and inexperience from the lack of practice, who would have thunkit ^^

My luck with dance doesn't stop there either. I was actually asked by the local community organization to be the instructor for a ballroom class. The organizers had gone to FADS and other places, but prices were steep to hire an instructor, to the point where the coimmunity ed class would cost 40-50$ a person. Too much in my mind for a basics class. So I agreed to teach, and in February I will begin the nerve wrecking journey of becoming an instructor again. I already have the jitters. Need to get new dance shoes too since mine are already 2 years old and barely holding together, lol.

But anyways, its great to be back here and I hope the old members I remember are still around ^^ Hopefully I will be jumping into more topics soon!

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Good for you, Mitra - and welcome back. Life works in funny ways sometimes. Maybe you'll earn enough to help out with your tuition somewhere down the road. What, in particular, will you be teaching?

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

welcome back

4. Mitra

Mitra New Member

Hello hello mamboqueen ^^ Quite mysterious indeed.

Its actually going to be 3 separate courses: Beginner Ballroom, Intermediate Ballroom Focus on Swing and Latin, and Prom Prep. Needless to say, I am going to thoroughly enjoy the prom prep one ^^ Its the other two I am worried about.

5. mamboqueen

Prom prep?!!?? Have we got a job for you! *LOL* I don't know if you recall from your first participation here, but we get quite a few inquiries from teens going to the prom and not having any clue how to dance (in fact, there are probably a few threads already as we had some who thought about it early enough to actually do something about it). And out of curiosity, what exactly do you teach in prom dance prep?

Edit: I just looked and there are 2 such threads at the bottom of this (General Dance) page! Feel free to chime in!

6. Mitra

Mitra New Member

Oh my, yes, I remember those posts.

"Teach me everything about dancing in 1 week!"

>> Right....Let me just go over here and get my magic wand. lol

Its going to be a rough syllabus to teach the kids, mostly because I won't know how quick they will learn. However, I know that I am at least going to go over Waltz (not my choice), Foxtrot (gonna be hard to get them enthused), Tango, and Swing. I have to only because the ad for the course says that already >< If these kids are fast learners though, I want to get them into Salsa and Merengue instead, since I know they are more likely to use that. If I'm really lucky, maybe even Cha Cha. We'll see.

7. mamboqueen

Good luck with it, Mitra.

8. Mitra

Mitra New Member

Thank you mamboqueen ^^ Above all, I guess I'm just nervous because I want this to be fun for my students. I want them to enjoy dancing as I enjoy it, stir up the passion in them. I just hope I get one person at least a little inspired ^^

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Ditto, and glad to hear that things are working out so well!

10. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hi Mitra...welcome back to DF. Prom prep? OMG, can I tell you how many posts we get on grinding? Aaargh....good luck to you on that one.

11. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

mitra

Suggestion ( having taught loads of kids ) call the f/t , " slow dancing ", it goes over better .( p.s. use sinatra type music and updated things rather than stict b/room stuff )

12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I'll second that. I'm guessing from your description that you are teaching social dance rather than competition, so the focus should eb what will work on that dance floor.

13. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Hi! I wasn't on DF when you were here, but welcome back anyway!

Might I put in a suggestion for night club 2 step/night club sway? It's a nice and easy dance, and a good substitute for hug-n-sway for slow dances.

Just a thought.

14. Peaches

Even better than sinatra (which I don't see going over so well with high school kids), see if you can find pop music that will fit with what you want to teach. Maybe talk to some local dj's who do proms/home comings. If you can teach the kids to dance to their own music, they'll be that much more interested.

15. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

pchs

Agree with " own " music-- just think that doing slow dance to M and M might be a tad difficult --- :D :D :D

16. Peaches

You never know what you can dance to until yo start looking.

My teacher was floored when I pulled out the iPod and decided to use The Beatles, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, and ELP for ballroom lessons. what can I say, when I'm super frustrated by everything else in the lesson, it makes me a bit happy to be getting frustrated to music that I love and that interests me.

Kinda' funny what's out there. There's a ton of current stuff that works for latin/rhythm, not to mention for "club dances."

17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

LOL.

Eminem.

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

how absolutely delightful... :)

after what sounds like a run of bad luck, it sounds like things are changing for you. :) wishing you all the best, and that your dancing (& your prosperity) only continue to evolve!

19. FTL

FTL New Member

Just wanna share my experience....keep it simple, fast, and modern!!! No need to teach slow dance, they'll find their way.

20. Mitra

Mitra New Member

Yes, I definately agree that I will have to fight a bit to keep their interest. I'm a little peeved that they didn't check with me first about what dances should be placed on the advertisement, because a waltz at prom? Doubt it. I might just have to nick that dance out of our lessons by accident ^^

I do agree especially about using music they will connect with more. Although I appreciate Sinatra for his Foxtrot songs, I doubt the youth will agree, lol. My brother thankfully transfered his entire music library to me, which is about 7 thousand songs strong now, so I'm sure I can find something a bit more "hip" that they will enjoy dancing to.