Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS 3 - Week 1 - East Coast {SPOILERS}

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by mamboqueen, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Beto

Beto Active Member

I watched it a few minutes ago on Tucker's blog site. I disagree, he did seem at peace with being kicked out so early. Plus he's thick-skinned since debating with people is what he does for fun so I think he took the criticism (and his dismissal) pretty well. Granted, he did give Bruno a hard time about that Elton John video that he appeared in back in 1983 but I think it was all in good fun. :D

2. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I was wondering if ever really taken the time to study about Simon Cowell's life. I don't know if you realize how many artists Simon has the rights to. He's actually why American Idol exists, or was brought to the table I should say. I'm sure that you know this, but still... Simon is like the King of the music industry. Seriously... watch a show about him when he airs, and you'll see why American Idol has the music artists they do. He's a really interesting man espcially after starting from nothing. ;)

3. kayak

kayak Active Member

So the idea is that Disney, masters of probably 1/3 of the entertainment universe, doesn't own the rights to 11 really cool songs?

4. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well now that you put it that way..... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ;)

Sorry, I couldn't resist lol.:p

5. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Lots of guys start teaching during their first lesson! Of course, they aren't getting paid for it and their partners tend to not appreciate it.:D

6. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

At our studio from what I know, these people are more like assistants until they pass all of their tests. They even have to go and watch competitions, and sometimes compete before they can teach (if they have the money and the time, but most of them except for one that I can think of has been to at least one competition before they were hired on). But they can't be a full time instructor or anything like that until they pass all of their tests, and sometimes that takes some of them a year to do because of their schedules etc. Now, they will still call themselves instructors, but they don't teach the students more like they'll help them out in class if the staff is short handed for the night etc., or they'll take on a student that had absolutely asked for them because they got along etc. No one as far as I know at my studio is called a one-week wonder. If that were the case, then I'd be thinking that way! ;)

Sorry if this were off topic! I don't think it was. ;)

7. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I am only sorry to see that Tucker has taken Elena Glenienco (sp??) with him out of the show and I won't be able to see this beautiful dancer no more in the show; I hope she is not disappointed. Tucker should have matched with Karina.

8. reb

reb Active Member

. . . now that's funny . . . :uplaugh:

9. LMWBrooklyn

LMWBrooklyn New Member

My question - how hideous is it really, for someone to be only 2 weeks ahead of their student? How far ahead do you need to be?

I was a precocious reader. So was my sister. In second grade - Catholic school - she was recruited to tutor a seventh grader in reading. In a couple of decades of hindsight, both she and I find that disgusting. However. Psychology, taste, sensitivity aside, she was a better reader than him. He probably learned being tutored by her. Thankfully, she had no ego and neither did he, so I believe the experience washed over both of them as just another day of torture in the parochial school system. They sort of tacitly agreed not to humiliate each other, and blame the school.

When I was in college, I dated a med student. In his residency, he learned the old saying "see one, do one, teach one". It's self explanatory.

So, I guess - so what if Jesse was teaching after a week? As long as he was at least a step ahead of the student, is any harm done?

Yes, I'm open to learning harm was done.

10. reb

reb Active Member

You'll find a range of opinion on this:
    • On one end of the spectrum - for someone learning to dance a little - some steps, some dances - no harm done
    • On the other end of the spectrum - for someone who wants to develop their technique a lot and/or compete (where technique is important) . . . the student will have to unlearn the bad technique (or lack of technique) they've learned

11. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well, the one thing that I see wrong with this idea is that you might teach me something I have to learn again during my private lessons when I could be learning something new. Not only would I be frustrated with you, but I probably would regret you as a teacher, because I would have wasted my money especially since I'm more likely to form a bad habit out of dancing it your way. This is why even at my studio where we have assistants I'll still try to go to the instructor first even if it takes time to get them to see me. Otherwise, I won't bother with the new assistants no matter how much I like them as a person. ;) Well, there is one new assistant that I have bothered, but he was a ballroom instructor before, and had been dancing since he was four. I will ask him because he knows what he's talking about. He had to get out of dancing because it cost too much, but now he's back again, and is performing in my new routine with me. Wohoo! ;)

12. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

The worst problem in my opinion of a teacher only "2 weeks ahead of their student", assuming that both are relatively inexperienced, is that there is probably a serious chance of injury. I would even hypothesis that the risk of injury increases if either student or teacher has significant non-ballroom, dance training (ballet, etc).

If either person is trying to fake some of the shapes/lines that they might see on other couples and the teacher isn't aware of the correct body alignment issues I could see serious injury to the back occuring -- something that experienced dancers in my experience tend to push too far too early.

While it can be frustrating in continually have to "re-learn" material, it happens even with the best coaches -- coaches develop an insight and expertise in knowing when a students body has developed the needed muscle for various actions -- are their toes/ankles strong enough to support continuity action for instance. The new coach might not have developed this sense, and might be be trying to "prove themselves" too aggressively by pushing their students, also leading to injury.

Another thing that I'd worry about in inexperienced teachers is that they are likely to teach what they are currently learning, not what the student needs -- a new teacher is probably learning a lot each day, and is progressing faster than their students, but they might lose track of the difference in rates. Even experienced coaches can suffer from this -- they come back from a coaching session with their coach and suddenly its what all of their students are working on, even if its not appropriate. Its easy to get excited about a recent breakthrouh and want to share it with everyone, but its not always right.

An experienced teacher in a physical field (non-ballroom dance, pilates, yoga, martial arts, etc) would probably be able to avoid these pitfalls more than a life-long (non-ballroom) dancer trying to adapt to teaching and an unfamiliar style at the same time...

Its the mindset -- do they see themselves as a dancer or a teacher first?

13. kayak

kayak Active Member

You expect the instructor to have a lot of experience. It is that experience that you are paying for. Take a golf pro or a tennis pro. You may not be able to have Tiger be your coach, but you certainly expect the pro to have been on the tour and not just a pro because he was hired by the country club. Who would take golf instruction from someone who's golf swing is only two weeks more experienced that their own?

Now, I have no idea if that model fits the DWTS guy. I just want an experienced instructor who is also a great teacher.

14. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Excellent analogy kayak!

15. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I agree. I know a lot of people that pay thousands of dollars to country clubs to learn how to play golf, and they would not settle for someone with only one week of experience. Therefore, why should I have to settle for less when it comes to my dancing? It's the same ordeal. It's my money and I want what I want when I dish out the doe. ;)

16. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

Just curious why you think that Karina would have been a better match for him than Elena?

IMO, I thought that Karina and Mario are perfect matches for each other on the show. They have Chemistry, they're personalities seem to click well together and they look good together. I can't seem to picture her and Tucker being a better match....

17. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I thought Contracheck's statement was a little strange. I interpreted it to mean he would rather see Tucker bring down Karina than Elena.

18. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I think that there are some things where a teacher can be only slightly ahead of the student, and other things where that can be a serious problem.

Think of foreign language study. I've had four years of French, two years of German, and two years of Spanish. I would not feel competent to teach any of those languages on a college or even a high school level. Sure, I could teach the meaning of words and phrases. No problem! I could even teach quite a bit of the grammar. My accent, though, leaves quite a bit to be desired, especially in French.

I think of dance as being a little like a foreign language. The inexperienced teacher can certainly teach the steps, but will they be able to teach the body carriage and movement quality?

I agree that it does depend why someone wants to learn to dance. I could teach a few phrases of travel French, Spanish, or German, and I'm sure the inexperienced dance teacher could teach some basic steps to someone who just wants to get through the first dance. For someone who is interested in longer term study, though, I think learning from someone who speaks French with too obvious an American accent could be a disadvantage. Ditto learning to cha-cha from someone who only has a few weeks experience with latin motion.

:) ChaChaMama

19. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

But that's for procedures that they've already got a background to understand. Before they're seeing, doing and teaching, they've got all the med schooling in their brain. When they're seeing the first one, they've already got the prerequisite knowledge of why it's done that way, what the risks are, etc. They see their first central line insertion, they already know the anatomy, they know why it needs to be done aseptically, they know what it's being used for, they know the risks of doing it wrong. So when they do one, they already know all that, they just have to worry about technique. When they teach it, the person learning knows all that already, they just have to worry about the technique.
    One week into dance training, you just know it's done that way, not how or why. The person they're teaching doesn't know it either. So if they start doing it wrong, there's no knowledge already in place with either the new teacher or new student to even catch that something isn't quite right.

20. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Tucker needed tough feisty coach who could whip him to shape him up than a gentle coach who let him sit around and have easy time. Tucker evidently underestimated that dancing is an easy job like doing news commentary - just sit around and talk. Tucker needed someone who could throw him aginast a wall and choke his throat and growl, "You better shape up, otherwise we both are going home." A pint of sweat in training saves a gallon of blood in war.