Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS 3 - Week 3 - SPOILERS!

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by alemana, Sep 25, 2006.

1. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

And that is really the best part! :D

2. DancePoet

Ok, and what shows did he get paid to dance on?

3. reb

reb Active Member

If DWTS replaced the judges with Mary Murphy-caliber judges, the show would be entertaining and consistent - and the rest of the scripted drama could still rage.

Who could they use . . . someone like Jean Mark would be able to be his normally funny self, so he'd do better here than on SYTYCD.

Who else in the judging world is good with one-liners?

4. DancePoet

Underestimating their intelligence or stupidity isn't a good idea. ;)

5. DancePoet

And that's because, in the immortal words of Keats, truth is beauty, beauty is truth. :cool:

6. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

true

7. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

If you had read what I had written, I put the word "if" in there. I did that for a reason. ;)

8. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I didn't think that I was. Other people have said the same thing.

9. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

Is Karina Smirnoff the same person as the Karina Smirnov that danced with Roman Nabotov in the late '90s?

10. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

Yes. That's her. Paul Killick picked her for a partner after Vibeke Toft stopped dancing. That was a brief partnership, but it put Karina in the spotlight. After her breakup with Killick, Karina partnered with Louis (and Paul with Hanna Kartuunen). At the time it was Slavyk/Joanna. Then it became Louis/Joanna and Slavyk/Karina.
    As the world turns ....

11. Adwiz

Adwiz New Member

Paul Killick ended his partnership with Vibeke Toft in 1997, and after only 6 months partnered with Karyna Kalkova they placed something like second in the US Open Professional Championships of 1998. Just 2 years later Karina was partnered with Louis when they won the US Open Pro title. I had always thought Karyna Kalkova looked an awful lot like Karina but I didn't think they were the same person. I'm curious why Karyna became Karina and why her last name changed. Name changes are not taken lightly be people in these kind of positions because they affect your professional "brand" awareness. Does anyone know the story behind her name change?

12. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

I don't know why she changed her name. But it is the same person. I have tapes of her dancing (amateur) with Roman, then professionally with Paul, then with Louis, etc. It's the same person. I also have an interview with Louis where he explains that the minute he heard Karina wasn't dancing with Paul anymore, he called her right away (or flew to England, whatever) and asked her to dance with him.

13. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

There is coverage of her competing with Louis van Amstel in one of the Good Life Network's old competition programs. It is U.S. Nationals, and the other competitors include Bill Sparks and Kimberly Mitchell (coming back from injury) and Gary and Diana McDonald. Definitely worth watching, and they rebroadcast from time to time. It even talks about how there had been rumors that Louis and Karina might not compete because she might partner with her boyfriend Slavik Kryklyvv, and at the end after L+K win, it shows Karina and Slavik hugging.

There's another Good Life program which has Slavik and Joanna competing, but they make a mistake during their solo intro; one of their tricks goes wrong and both wind up on the floor.

Yet another Good Life program has some amazing footage of Valentin Chmerkovskiy and Diana Olonetskaya competiting when they are maybe 13. They do not win, because they are up against older and more sophisticated competitors, but they are already amazing.

14. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I think that the spell of her changed name was "Kylkova" (I better be right on this spelling; otherwise, MB will be all over me again). Paul Killick changed it to rhyme with his name "Killick," thus, "Killick and Kylkova." A fearsome duo, "Kill" and "Kill" all other opponents.

15. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Access Hollywood did an article the other night on DWTS and this is the part that stood out at me because of our discussion earlier in this thread about this being a reality show:

"Finally, just a little secret from inside the taping. The performances the last couple of weeks have been pre-taped. So, when Tom Bergeron and Samantha Harris throw to the stage there is no one there. The audience is then forced to give a standing ovation at the end of the song, even though nothing is happening right in front of them. I, however, don't stand in protest! Remember after the Paso Doble performance when Samantha was interviewing Willa, Vivica Fox and Sara Evans backstage and the boys all of a sudden showed up to join their dance partners like they had just gotten off the dance floor? They didn't. They were in the backstage room the whole time. I loved how they tried to play it off like they were out of breath! They weren't. Fakers!"

I forget the name of the lady who did this article. She talked about other things, talking to the judges, etc, and Harry being kicked off, etc, but this part I thought was ridiculous. (sigh) Take all the fun out if it, why dontcha. :(

16. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

Oh please, NOT Mary Murphy!

17. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Aw booo! So they don't even have to dance in front of a live audience, and that's how stiff they are? Bah.

18. tuftufwang

tuftufwang Member

Goodness DancingJools! You are a very qualified historian in dancesport!

Could you venture a guess as to who Riccardo Cocci would end up with? :raisebro:

19. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

She once said that Paul wanted her to have that name (he made it up), but that Smirnoff is her real name and she never liked that idea . I thought she and Paul placed 2nd at Blackpool, no?

20. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

If her last name changes to Ketel One, we know what the issue is ;)