Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 10 - Week 1

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by LucyDiamond, Mar 22, 2010.

1. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

The dances this week are:

Buzz Aldrin & Ashley Costa - Cha Cha
    Pamela Anderson & Damian Whitewood - Cha Cha
    Erin Andrews & Maksim Chmerkovskiy - Cha Cha
    Shannen Doherty & Mark Ballas - Viennese Waltz
    Kate Gosselin & Tony Dovolani - Viennese Waltz
    Evan Lysacek & Anna Trebunskaya - Viennese Waltz
    Niecy Nash & Louis Van Amstel - Cha Cha
    Chad Ochocinco & Cheryl Burke - Cha Cha
    Jake Pavelka & Chelsie Hightower - Viennese Waltz
    Nicole Scherzinger & Derek Hough - Viennese Waltz
    Aiden Turner & Edyta Sliwinska - Cha Cha

Next week the dances will be Foxtrot and Jive. There is no results show this week because there is no elimination this week. The first elimination and results show will be next week. Let the season begin! :banana::banana::banana:

2. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

why wouldnt they start with a slow waltz instead of v. waltz?? its like they want these ppl to fail.

same for jive... 2nd week is too early.

3. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking, too. It seems kind of cruel to start someone off with the v. waltz.

4. LucyDiamond

They had Viennese Waltz the first week this past season and it was one of Kelly's best dances. I think it really depends on the individual as to what dance(s) are the hardest and which ones are a bit easier.

5. LucyDiamond

According to the ABC message boards, here is the order of dancing:

1 - Chad & Cheryl
    3 - Erin & Maks
    4 - Jake & Cheslie
    5 - Niecy & Louis
    6 - Evan & Anna
    8 - Nicole & Derek
    9 - Aiden & Edyta
    10 - Kate & Tony
    11 - Pam & Damian

I don't know when Buzz and Shannen are dancing but if they are alternating dances, we can guess. ;)

6. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Viennese is easy, you only have to remember maybe three steps and it will still look like VW. Cha cha could be insanely hard for someone.

7. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I thought they did American style VWaltz? Lot's more patterns there.

Is it on yet on the East Coast? I have been a little tuned out lately...

8. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

so far, so good

9. Merrylegs

I love Niecy!! And she hasn't dance yet!

10. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

go Evan!

11. Merrylegs

He looked good!

12. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

wow people got pretty ticked off at Len's comments on Nicole's dance.... I am glad that unlike the Joanna Krupa situation from last year, he is saying it like it is... Her performance was really good (especially for a first dance), but Len pointed out exactly what I was thinking. I noticed how her footwork needed work and she was doing a standing spin while Derek was doing a fleckerl...

What I do not understand, is why everyone freaks out like he just threatened to kill her in her sleep. People, seriously, he made a good point and she would be wise to take his advice. You cannot improve unless someone tells you what to fix LOL

13. Merrylegs

I always wonder if someone is holding up a sign that says to say Awwwww!;)

14. danceronice

I thought Len was spot-on. I was thinking she looked good and then I looked at her feet and realized "Oh, yeah, not so much."

Evan was rocking the tailsuit look. Also, moving pretty good! Frank is of course correct, Evan is one of the hardest workers in skating--if he puts his mind to dance he could do very well! (Of course having Frank as a coach probably went a long way to instilling that work ethic--he's tough!)

Buzz--hey, he's eighty. (Though not dead..."There's a cute gal..." You can take the boy off the flightline but you can't take the throttle jockey out of the boy...) And I swear he's been taking spin-the-girl lessons from an eightysomething gentleman I've danced with.

15. TAK

TAK Member

Pretty close. There's a guy standing in the audience encouraging people to cheer and boo. :)

16. RickRS

RickRS Member

Did Carrie Ann give Nicole a 9? She wasn't that good... And the audience should lighten up, let the judges criticize, it's part of the process. That will never happen, because the audience doesn't want to hear anything remotely bad about their favorites, but still...

Also not a nine, Chad (not that Chad got any nines, only even sixes). But I saw protential with our football star, he seem to connect with the music, the dance and Cheryl, and showed confidence on the floor.

Evan was looking good. Not perfect, but solidly in control. Carrie Ann's comment to Evan about connecting to the audience is a puzzler for me. Frankly, if you do your dance well, enjoy yourself, etc. you don't have to worry, I'll be wowed without any other attempts to "connect with the audience".

Pam Anderson was ok, but unfortunately I just can't connect to a woman who is so plastic and who's public personality is all about sex.

17. Merrylegs

Very often I feel as if I am watching a different pair of dancers when I hear the judges remarks--Carrie Ann's to be specific. I just don't understand where she comes up with this stuff.

Pam Anderson was not a bad dancer but that hair! Too much of it and too much playing with it to a point of distraction. I found it funny that she was wearing more clothes last night for a latin dance than she usually does in her daily life.

18. danceronice

I have to admit, I liked Pam Anderson's attitude--she did NOT come in assuming it would be a cakewalk or that it was a joke and she admitted she doesn't dance. And she tried. Much better than Nicole--I think Derek is setting her up to be another "We're gonna win!" girl, which could be "good" for drama (as it's pretty clear Len's not buying, yet) but could also be another setup for crying and complaining when marks inevitably don't go her way at some point, which the voters tend not to like.

For "audience connection" with Evan, if I thought they meant just the simple "make eye contact with the first row", okay. I've done that and seen the *perception* of how I dance chance, and I've been on the recieving end and it made me understand why that works. But I'm afraid Carrie Anne means something more along the lines of really PLAYING to the crowd, which...good for cha cha, not so great for Viennese Waltz. I mean, even connection to the partner--he had great body connection and if they're in hold right they're not even LOOKING at each other. What more does she want?

19. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

LOL you're right. I did find her fun and entertaining though. But I wonder how she'll do with dances such as foxtrot or waltz.

20. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Nicole did very well for a first dance, but was not nearly as wonderful as Carrie Ann and Bruno made her out to be. Evan won me over completely, as did Buzz for different reasons. I dislike everything Pamela Anderson stands for but hey, she was entertaining and added some personality to the show. Kate not so much. Her dancing was poor, she seemingly had no sense of humor or sense of fun and her pasted on smile was embarrassing. But overall, it seems it will be a much more enjoyable season than last - more dance potential, more engaging stars and I think the smaller cast size is better.