Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 10 - Week 1

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by LucyDiamond, Mar 22, 2010.

1. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

I actually liked pam... which surprised me but she's got some pretty great legs lol!!! I also liked her attitude: "I don't know what I am doing but this was a fun thing that I could check off my list"

I thought that Buzz was totally adorable! And he is dancing for a good reason too (to raise awareness about space discovery). I doubt he will be booted off next week.. The Cute-Old-Men-Who-Try-Hard always stay on for a while.

Nicole was a tad overscored... I was grateful for Len pointing out her mistakes. Obviously she is a great dancer, and if Derek makes her fix those problems, she will look incredible. By the way, the inevitable commentary with "omg it's so unfair that she has dance experience and so is already ahead of everyone else" has already begun. I wish that people will understand that dance forms are different. Also, having dance experience from singing is totally different from being a professional dancer... They have no more advantage than a figure skater. People are whining about Nicole like she's freaking Baryshnikov!!!

Evan impressed me. Though his feet were kind of klunking to the ground, that is definitely a side effect of the skating where articulation of the feet is not as defined as in dancing. I think he will be good. Anna made me laugh with the *snap snap* after len's comment lol. And I loved Bergeron's comment about it being the latest Len's been up in months!!!

Kate was disappointing... She will probably go home soon. I hope she goes home before Pam bc I get the impression from Pam that at least she has a sense of humor about the whole thing.

2. TAK

TAK Member

Maybe this has been discussed already, but can anyone help me figure this out?...I've seen it claimed a lot of places that Damian W. was a Blackpool semifinalist and all kinds of other stuff. Yet, he doesn't seem to be on dancesportinfo, which I believe has all the recent Blackpool results. Did he use to go by a different name or something?

3. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Kate G. / Carrien Ann

Kate G. really struggled, but at least Carrie Ann was kind:

"You're very different than a lot of the other people on the show," she said, noting that Gosselin, the reality TV mom and former nurse, is "not a performer" and "not an athlete" like most of the show's contestants." *

KG will probably be gone in not too long--probably after Buzz--so I'm glad that Carrie Ann treated her with some kindness...

*From http:// abcnews.go.com /Entertainment/ kate-gosselin-cut-dancing-stars/story?id=10178459

4. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

His website said he stopped competing in 2000? (can't access site from work to verify year) . That's probably why you can't find results for him.

5. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Forgive me if it has been mentioned (didn't reread the thread). I was slightly impressed that all of the pros actually danced basics and recognizable steps/patterns. I wonder if something was said. In either case, this type of dancing will certainly do more for the traditional business of ballroom dance studios/lessons/etc. than the other stuff.

Honorable mention: I loved it when Tom told Bruno to get some tact. At some point, the unnecessarily rude and demeaning comments have to stop. It's not good television; it's just crass.

6. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I have to respectfully disagree here. As someone who came to ballroom from a jazz/ballet background, i do think it makes a WORLD of a difference. Yes, the technique is different but it still helps TREMENDOUSLY with things like musicality/rhythm, balance, muscle memory/strength/flexibility, control, and general terms and concepts that apply across all forms of dance.

But I digress... back on topic...

I was floored by Evan. He is not perfect and definitely had improvements that can be made (e.g. his feet), but i think he is off to a fantastic start. I find it interesting how Bruno was more eager to point out his flaws than Nicole's.

Did anyone else notice that Brooke looked/sounded eerily similar to Samantha??? I assume she looked similar because of the hair/makeup/wardrobe team... but she even moved and sounded like her.

7. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

I too come from a ballet/jazz/modern/theatre background and was a competitive figure skater and diver from walking until my late teens. I agree that in terms of body awareness it helps immensely. However, in terms of the actual technique and partnering... ballroom is totally different. That was my point. I wasn't saying the anyone with movement training does not have a step up, because I think that they do.. but I don't think that there is any reason to whine about it being unfair.

While I picked up lots of things easily in ballroom, I also picked up lots of bad habits and there were elements of technique that were so totally against my prior training that I had to work doubly hard to change my movement patterns.

I was also trying to say that there is a difference between being a person with a background in dance (let's say, me), and being a legit Baryshnikov level professional dancer. We might have a step up in body awareness, but Baryshnikov could probably get out there and with no ballroom technique, fudge his way through an open samba routine, jump 6 ft in the air a couple times, and leave us all pretty impressed (I sorta "becca" Baryshnikov in case you cannot tell from my avatar ;)). I was just trying to say that I don't think that people should be whining about Nicole. Having some dance training will give her a step up in the beginning, but in the long run, she will have to learn new technique just the same as everyone else, and I get a little annoyed hearing people say it's not fair and that she has absolutely no right to be there.

Just thought I'd clarify... I have a bad habit of writing something quickly and assuming that because it makes sense in the crazy jungle that is my mind, it will communicate effectively with everyone else LOL.

8. chica latina

chica latina New Member

The only thing is that in this show you could get away by doing mostly non-ballroom steps/technique and aww the general public.. A good choreography could make a non-ballroom but experienced dancer look amazing to the people voting and most of the judges (since the only one ballroom trained is Lenn).

but life is not fair and this is also a personality/popularity contest... so it may not even matter, so I agree about stopping the complaints...

9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Well, if it were a REAL competition, that might be true, but with DWTS I have to agree with TinyDancer (do we have three in a row posting who skated before they danced?) If you were putting Evan and Nicole next to, say, the average pro-am student who's been taking months or years of lessons and then putting them in front of your average panel of judges at an NDCA comp, then I would say they don't have a huge advantage. Nicole's feet are still crap, Evan has a few feet issues but more he does stick his rear out a bit.

But next to Buzz Aldrin? Soap-boy, with the hunched back? Kate Gosslein? Pam Anderson? Thoroughly forgettable Shannon? Look at Evan's posture or Nicole's arms and their body awareness--they LOOK better. And when a chunk of the scoring is based on the TV audience going "Oooh", that's a huge advantage.

10. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

of course they look better.... but it just doesn't seem right to say that they have no business being there and that the show shouldn't let them on. they are a heck of a lot more fun to watch than the 80 year olds and kate gosselin because they have potential to make a huge improvement... and heck, at the end of the day, it is naught but a reality tv show. let the people have fun!!

11. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

I noticed both of these things. Very strange. Brooke seemed to have some first night jitters as well. Bruno's comments are sometimes funny but sometimes make me want to do a facepalm.

My friends and I are seriously rooting for Evan!! I keep forgetting to vote, but oh well. He is fun to watch!!

12. New in NY

New in NY New Member

YES! We were calling her "the Samantha clone" at my house.
    I still wish the producers had hired Mel B for the job. She and Tom together would have been loads of fun. The same old tired questions backstage after the performances are really getting .. tired. Needs some SPICE.

13. davedove

davedove Active Member

It seems like every season someone is coaching him to be "more exaggerated, more over the top."

14. Beto

Beto Active Member

I wish they'd stop. I respect his background as a choreographer and dancer but still believe that he doesn't belong on the show. Same with Carrie Ann. Her comments and Bruno's bring *nothing* to the show. The only opinion that matters is Len's. *sigh*.

Still haven't watched the show but it's on my TiVo. Hope to tonight.

15. RickRS

RickRS Member

I went back to my fast-forward habit after giving Brooke a couple of opportunities to entertain. Same old lame questions as Samatha, so with a delayed start and skipping Brooke and commericals, just a little over an hour to watch the show.

16. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Took you a whole hour? :)

17. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

i agree about the hair, they did distract me so much, i could not see the dancing or the dress at all. i liked evan, lots of work needs to be done with his feet, but so everybody else, however evan is way ahead with the posture and the extensions. i wander how he does in latin dances

18. RickRS

RickRS Member

Yeah, I actually listen to Tom and the judges, even watch the practice stuff. :oops:

If I only watched the dances, it wouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

19. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I've learned that the secret to keeping my blood pressure at a reasonable level is to not listen to judges. So I watch the practice clips and the actual dance. FF the rest.

20. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I would do that, but then I would miss the awesomeness that is Tom Bergeron.