Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 10 - Week 7

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by LucyDiamond, May 3, 2010.

1. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Is it on youtube yet ?

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

oof, tough crowd.

y'all realize it's the producers that push & craft those tear-jerker, audience-angrifying and emotionalizing moments and not the performers, right?

and that nicole's a performer experienced with the camera so probly thinking about camera angles is just natural professionalism on her part... a possible sign she's a smart chica who thinks on her feet and not necessarily vapid narcissism?

just sayin'...:rolleyes:

3. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

My husband pointed out that it would have been great, but trying to impress the audience with acrobatics and lifts IMMEDIATELY after cirque de soleil, well that's just doomed to fail.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I saw plenty of basics including sliding doors I beleive

5. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I have no idea what she said, but since a good portion of their score and result comes from the viewing audience at home, I would think that the pros/choreographers would be VERY concerned about camera angles and taking them into account when they structure the routine. It really doesn't matter how great the routine is if it looks bad to the camera. For a contestant to argue with her pro isn't cool, but for her to worry about how it looks to the millions of people watching at home sounds pretty legit to me.

6. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Oh, yes, there were some nice basics, guess I wanted more! It seemed like the tricks were all one immediately after another with not enough "dancing" between, so maybe it was the balance? I don't know. But I just kept thinking "enough already, show me something simple that I can appreciate"

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

not on youtube. :(

8. contracheck

contracheck New Member

To me, their dance was too fast at a breakneck speed to my liking. Did you like her color coordination of white panty under pink dress?

9. yogi5941

yogi5941 New Member

youtube. com/ watch?v=u_-jPLpfBxI

Cirque du Soleil show

Incredible!

10. contracheck

contracheck New Member

To me Evan's step was too powerful and abrupt for AT, but the ending was very good. I liked his outfit, he looked smashing in it.

11. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Agreed, it was too fast. Maybe that's what I didn't like. I didn't really notice the white panty under the pink dress. I think I was distracted by her hair :)

12. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

I was kind of thinking the same thing... Plus, don't they do a full run through with all the cameras the day before? It's something they're made to consider

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

it didn't strike me as odd either

14. That may be reasonable, but it looked like she was frustated that she couldn't execute her part. I just think her priority is out of order. And I'm also taking into consideration what Samina said about the possibility that the producers may have asked the contestants to play up the drama for ratings, etc.

15. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I had no idea what dance they were dancing either. Too fast for any dance I know except jive, but I am sure that it wasn't jive.

16. contracheck

contracheck New Member

If there is a trouble maker, send that person to me. I know where it hurts most.

17. Zoopsia59

I'm not so sure its that the producers ask them to play up the drama... I think its more that the producers choose specific clips from among the hours and hours of footage of each contestant each week that best plays up the drama.

How many times have we seen rehearsal footage that makes it look like the dancer is really struggling and its a disaster in the making, only to have the routine be flawless in performance? HOw else will they build tension in viewers? Its downright silly sometimes listening to some of the better competitors over the years trying to convince us that its one big sloppy mess and they are risking certain humiliation. :rolleyes:

I'm sure they could choose and edit together completely different clips that give us the impression that Pam is a witch and Kate was the nicest person ever to grace the show. (not saying that Pam isn't geuninely nice, but I'm sure she's had less than stellar behavior caught on camera at least once or twice... they just don't show us that for the celebs we're supposed to like. Just as I'm sure Kate had moments that would have made her appealing and likable) You really can't believe who these people are based on what they decide to let us see... reality shows deliberately create "characters" even though they are real people.

The drama though is one of the reasons I don't watch DWTS anymore. In the first season or 3, the stars all had the attitude "Wow! I've never had so much fun in my whole life! I'm so lucky to be a part of this". I guess that didn't get the ratings that other competition shows get with all the sniping, backstabbing, and conniving, so now there's more melodrama. In another season or two, they'll probably have to resort to undermining each other and plotting against one another.

(can you tell I hate reality TV?)

18. New in NY

New in NY New Member

IMO Gilles' and Cheryl's tango far surpassed Evan's and Anna's. There were many, many things wrong with Evan's execution of Argentine tango but I don't think that many could have done better with only a week of preparation. This is a dance where you continue to learn how to simply walk forward and backward for months or even years. Having said that, I enjoyed watching the dance very much.

19. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I can't believe anyone didn't like Louis and Karina's number. What the heck is wrong with you people?!? :)

Not only are they both amazing dancers, but I love the very believable chemistry between the two of them, and the charisma they exude on the floor. No wonder they were Blackpool finalists together!

I saw plenty of basic figures. Yes, they were embellished basic figures, like their rope spinning was a double turn. But plenty of grounding in syllabus, in addition to flashier moves.

20. Zoopsia59

No, you're not.

I just watched it on You Tube, and I wasn't impressed. I thought it looked like she was dancing him. I got no feeling whatsoever of him LEADING the dance or even of him doing learned choreography.. It seemed like she was doing all the dancing, and he was trying to follow along to do something while she danced. If it had been a bolero, the analogy I'd make is that the cape got caught in a windstorm and the matador was trying to keep it from overpowering him.

Yeah, the turning lift was great, but most of the dance was a solo by her and him not doing much. Even cutting him slack based on how long it takes to learn proper AT technique, (and I think the ballroom crowd would cry fowl if I pretended that AT is unique in how difficult it is to learn properly!) I just didn't get a feeling like he was in control of the dance or contributing to it. So for me, there wasn't anything "tango" about it except her dress.

Frankly, even HER moves didn't impress me... they seemed more frenetic than passionate, and not very sensual or seductive. Maybe that's why he seemed so lackluster... she was dancing as though they were in the peak of passion but he wasn't exhibiting much passion at all. He looked like he was having trouble keeping up. That made her look even more frantic and made him look more lackluster. Too much contrast! His performance would have fit better if she had gone for "smoldering seductress" rather than "wild tigress".