Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 10 - Week 7

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by LucyDiamond, May 3, 2010.

1. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

Didn't they have all three of the "required elements" from the rumba a few weeks ago? I was suspecting that that was intentional on Louis' part.

2. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I think that someone stole her Latin dress. It was too bland without any stones, which is unusal for DWTS. I think she got it from WalMart, and she could not find a matching panty, so she bought a common white underware there.

3. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Will you agree with me if I say that the stone jobs on Erin's and Pam's dresses were fantastic. I wonder how long it took.

4. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

LOL! I'm not sure you want me to delve into what's wrong with me ;)

5. Shandy

Shandy Member

I would think all AT dancers will find fault with the technique and how obviously it was choreographed. On character, I agree with you but with the music and costume channeling James Bond, I think Evan was spot on and Anna missed the mark.

My least favourite move was his walk across the floor, - even in dtws-world, I thought it was so ugly (the close-hold was well executed - but the walk, the feet - urghhh), that he'd blown the 10 but then ....

I thought the last sequence of steps were led by Evan, you can see the difference in quality/power of Anna's steps. I think these were generated by Evan's lead (a first for any male partner on DWTS, in my opinion) and with the final lift, I'm happy to ignore the walk (something every AT dancer spends a lifetime perfecting and would be very weird if it could be achieved in a week by anyone) and award a 10.

(Don't think I'll be arguing my point at any of my dance classes or milongas - lol)

6. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

"crying fowl" = cock a doodle doooooo

"crying foul" = i disagree with your call

i'm just sayin

7. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Yea, she was definitely having a diva moment... i'm convinced of this based on her argument to try and change Derek's choreography because "it felt weird" to have him dancing on her left side rather than her right. I mean, seriously? that has to be the most ridiculous excuse i've ever heard.

8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

ahem...what am I ?

9. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Maturity, please.

10. fascination

i'll settle for just dropping it and staying on topic....

11. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Actually, Karina has worn stoneless flowy dresses many a time on DWTS. One time I specifically remember, she and Edyta were dancing with their partners and one wore a white dress while the other wore a black one. They didnt have any stones except for maybe where the dress came together on one side. I remember these because I have it on tape and also because people said it looked like sheets just draped over them and tied in a few places. Also because it reminded me of a dress that Yulia z. wore. There was another dress, I dont remember the color, that she wore once when she danced with Max, which was very drapy and no stones at all except for on the bodysuit beneath it. Numerous others that I cant recall right off-hand. Would have to pull out my tapes of the dwts results shows to find the others, but definitely not unusual for Karina. And I think some of the others also have worn unstoned outfits in their pro dances but again I'd have to pull the tapes. (oh yeah, the one julianne danced with mark that derek was supposed to dance with them but he hurt himself. No sparkles. They danced to Kylie Minogue (sp?)). And those dresses they wore just the other night when there were four pro couples....I dont think those had stones either. I didnt like them, but thats just my opinion. I think they were going for everyday women dresses but whatever. lol!

12. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Boy, you demoished me with such elaborate research. No rebuttle from me except that, to me, her latin dress was bland, dull, unxeciting, unsexy, and unfit for DWTS, but I guess she still looksgreat without any of these flambouyancies.

13. fascination

I thought she looked utterly beautiful...frankly, I barely remember what she was wearing b/c I was too busy being mezmerized by the dancing...but it seemed soft simple and pale pinkIIRC...no clue about her underbits...anyhow, I though it was lovely

14. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Of that whole long post, that's the only thing you could find to comment on?

I'm jus' sayin'... :p

15. New in NY

New in NY New Member

I don't know this for a fact, but I would be shocked if hours of footage were shot for each contestant each week with expensive labor just to produce a 30 second clip. It's not necessary and doesn't make financial sense. I would imagine the producers give each couple some guidance on the tone and let them improvise a bit. Did anyone really believe that Erin impulsively decided to text Evan while on camera and he also happened to be filmed when receiving Erin's text? And last season's clip of Kelly Osbourne and all of her distractions seemed a staged exaggeration.
    I was once in Lord & Taylor when a reality show was filming a bit meant to show the cast on a shopping spree. It went like this: Crew arrived at what was obviously a predetermined location within the store and set up the equipment. Cast arrived and were told where to stand and basically what to say. Filming was very brief. They were out of there within 15 minutes. I assume the televised version was presented to look like the cast was spontaneously wandering through the store, with the camera following them around.

16. Zoopsia59

I have no objection to it being obviously choreographed. Even pro AT dancers choreograph their stage performances. I also wasn't finding fault with his non-perfect tango-specific technique because I wouldn't expect it to be otherwise.

What I had a problem with was how the two of them didn't look like they were dancing together and how exaggerated she was compared to him. I actually thought it was a failing of the choreography and execution by the pro which failed to make him look good. It seemed to me as if it were designed to have her cover for someone who couldn't do much of anything (which we know isn't the case) rather than designed to make it seem like he could do a LOT.

So my criticism isn't even tango-specific.

17. Zoopsia59

Regardless of which of us is right, the result is the same.. the producers create "characters" and based on a few snipets, we buy into them. If you are right and the whole thing is done quickly, I would imagine some people would be more likely than others to become tense and react badly to what's happening in the moment.

If they don't get much footage of them each week, then they are clearly deliberately filming them early on (that would make sense from the production schedule) and it exaggerates the difficulties and frustrations because they are in the early stage of developing that dance. We get the impression that the stars are struggling up to the very last minute. I'm sure even the crankiest dancers have some laughs, and the nicest ones occasionally get tense and snippy. We are shown alternate sides of their characters less and less on DWTS, which is one of the reasons I suspect that some picking and choosing of clips is occurring.

Either way, no matter what they call the shows, we are not watching "reality" at all. I'd prefer more dancing and less "filler" on the show, myself.

18. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

HEL-LO, PRODUCT PLACEMENT!!!

We yell "Marketing!" in our house whenever we see stuff like this. (Joke from when my sister was in marketing grad school.)

19. New in NY

New in NY New Member

Love it.

20. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

The in-studio clips this year, I read, are taken from continuous footage--ABC owns the studios and has cameras rolling (no longer an especially big deal in the digital video age in terms of money.) Editing is now pretty easy with computers, so they DO have an awful lot to chose from. Most of it is probably pretty dull, though, so no surprise they pick out the most entertaining (so to speak) bits.

Now the stuff OUTSIDE (like trips to the beach, which I notice are drastically reduced this season) involves hauling a crew out, setting up, etc. THOSE are more expensive, which probably explains their absence. Not that I miss them.