Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 10 - Week 8

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by LucyDiamond, May 10, 2010.

1. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

Although I like closed hold position best, I wouldn't mind open position at some point during the routine if it at least resembled American Smooth, rather than a broadway musical.

2. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

So, you would like it if they limited the dancers to international style? Not me, I LOVE smooth!!!

3. New in NY

New in NY New Member

I am not clear on what rules/guidelines the pros have to follow regarding such things as closed/open in FT. Len does sometimes take them to task, but it's not clear to me if he is voicing his preference that the choreography stick to competition standards, or that those are also the rules of the show. Certainly the numbers that are show dance in style are often crowd pleasures and likely bring out the votes. I have supported Evan from the beginning, but I think Nicole outdanced him this week. I didn't care for Erin's rumba. Sorry to see Niecy go, she was lots of fun and I loved watching her progress (although that tango was hard to watch).

4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

They aren't doing Smooth, they're doing showcase in many cases.

I'd like ONE where they're required to stick to Standard ONLY--it would really lampshade any problems they'r covering up.

5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I like both international standard and american smooth. I'd just like to see one dance, any dance, entirely in closed hold. It doesn't matter which one.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I think some dances have extended filler introductions and finishes. Others have props and gimmicks. And others have showdance and/or jazz combinations. While there may be nothing inherently wrong with any of elements on their own, I think too many of them together is a distraction from the dance that's supposed to be going on. And further, sometimes I think that such elements are used to disguise the fact that the celebrity can't do the dance in question. Put enough filler in a routine, and the celebrity won't have to, or at least it will be a lot less obvious they can't.

In closed hold, you'll either sink or swim - they'll be no hiding the mistakes.

6. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Exactly.

:kitty:

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

actually...i disagree...while there is no escaping the FEEL of a mistake in closed hold, I think it is easier to hide a student's issues in closed hold.....just my view ...

but I would agree that, from a dancer's perspective not a ratings perspective, I think it would be much more illuminating to see how all of these stars execute the basics, but then that is going down a long road full of all sorts of things that the show isn't about...like level playing field etc...I don't see much point in criticizing the show for being something it's not....

8. Just watched this weeks episodes and here are my thoughts...

Erin & Maks – It was good but not like WOW. I thought the choreography was good but she had no technique. It was okay, not bad. I have no idea what dance Erin was doing but I thought Max did a great Rumba lol. Erin was just flailing about. Of course tho, seeing Max in those pants was priceless!!!

Anna & Evan – I’m not sure this was the most romantic Waltz on DWTS that Anna had hoped for but I did like it. I agree that Evan’s lines are gorgeous!! As for the Cha Cha, I REALLYYYYY liked it and thought they incorporated the eras the best!!! And Anna, WOWSA!!!!! Way to rock a Fifth Element outfit!!! I’m a bit annoyed at Len’s comments bc he had to do the Cha Cha and he picked futuristic so….what? He didn’t ask for that combination, it happened by chance.

Nicole & Derek – I’m sorry but Nicole’s insecurity is not attractive…especially on national TV. I wonder if the producers do that on purpose and if they do, I wonder if the stars have any say or what happens if they get mad. Anyway, moving on to the dancing. Tbh, I have no idea what dance that first one was (Foxtrot???) but it was cute and I really like Derek’s choreography!! I dunno how well she danced it tho bc again, I know nothing about Standard/Smooth. It was fun to watch tho ☺
    After watching the Paso…I dunno, I was just confused. Looks like they just wore smth 50s like, had music playing with a 50s sound to it and threw in some random moves that took away from the dance for me. And the judges thought it was brilliant???? Hmmm, I dunno if it was brilliant. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t good. Just not my cup of tea. What did you all think of it?

Overall, I didn’t enjoy this week’s dancing…
    Um, I also didn’t know that next week is the semi-finals!!! And I reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy liked the (Gary & Rita Gekhmen) showdance at the middle of the show!!!!!!!!!! Why were some of you surprised to see them dance?

I really enjoyed the Gypsy Kings! Does anyone know who the pros that danced during the second performance were?

What did you guys think about the collegiate formation teams? I liked the formations of the first team but thought their dancing was just blah. The second team didn't really move around the floor or change shapes but the dancing was so much better for me.

9. Oh whoops! Forgot to post my comments about two couples...

Chad & Cheryl – Didn’t think much about their Tango. It was okay. I hated the Jive. It wasn’t a jive. It was more like tiny hops or stomps on Chad’s end…didn’t like the choreography either. And I def disagree with CAI in that the Jive was NOT their “better” dance.

Nicey & Louis – Is it just me or did they do a really good job with their Viennese Waltz?? I don’t know much about Standard/Smooth. Not sure how much I liked the Paso. Nicey just didn’t have much power…especially in her upper body and arms. The music also really bothered me. I think its easier to incorporate the eras into Standard/Smooth dances. The Paso is hard enough on its own, the added era was just a big distraction. I was sad to see her go. I definitely think Chad should have gone first bc I thought Nicey's improvement and growth on the show was SO MUCH MORE!!

10. fascination

A2...alot of your questions about what other people thought are answered in the posts preceding yours....as to the Gekmans, some folks were probably surprised as the Gekmans are no longer together...that is all

11. I didn't like the collegiate shows. I had expected more, but the majority of their routines is move, move, pose, and repeat.

12. contracheck

contracheck New Member

They did American Viannese Waltz, which, in my opinion, was quite good.

13. contracheck

contracheck New Member

No, I did not like it either. They shou;d have brought in BYU.

14. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Amen.

15. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

If one of the two teams next week is not either BYU or U of U, I will eat my hat.

16. Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying :)

17. I felt the same way...especially with the first team.

18. I wonder how they chose the teams???

19. fascination

well...there was some mention of placements at various formation events

20. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

You mean more or less like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a9LZPrvnrI