Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 10 - Week 8

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by LucyDiamond, May 10, 2010.

1. New in NY

New in NY New Member

True BUT isn't that the pros' job - to accentuate what their celeb can do well and to disguise what the celeb can't do well. The props, gimmicks and showdance movements presumably help to get out the vote from non-dance folks at home (the great majority of the viewers).

2. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

but nicole CAN dance well, if given the opportunity/training to do a proper ballroom dance. But she and derek are too busy creating a broadway production.

so IMO, derek is doing her a disfavor.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

meh...it is only a disfavor if her goal is to be the best ballroom dancer she can be...her goal is probably just to be a good dancer in general...and to win the show

4. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Agreed. The judges seemed to like the first team better, but I thought the second team (Purdue) was much more deserving. I don't know much about collegiate dance team comps, so maybe formations are important in judging, but for me, I don't care. Formations to me seem cheesy and cheerleader-y. I would rather just see some quality dancing and I thought Purdue was better at that.

5. fascination

well exactly...because if the goal was simply teaching them how to become good ballroom dancers, we'd be watchin a whole bunch of bronze syllabus for the blk of the time...and that ain't gonna happen

6. fascination

amen...I think they were stuck on the formation aspect...b/c I saw far more fluid dancing in the purdue team...shrug...I try to remind myself that Len is the only ballroom judge there...but even he was fixated on the formation issue...and I guess there is some merit to evaluating that aspect.....

7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I don't like it when I see routines where pretty much all the male celebrity does is stand, take a few steps, lunge, twirl his pro partner around or dip her at the end. The male celebrity is basically a prop while the female pro does all the work.

8. TinyDancer109

Sorry, i thought the show was about BALLROOM dancing... silly me ;)

9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Agreed.

10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

In the end, the show is all about ratings and advertising dollars.

11. fascination

it is about a way of packaging ballroom dance into a marketable product....

have you ever sat through and hour of newcomer bronze syllabus? :)....

12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yes. However, I wouldn't presume that all celebrities would dance what we might expect from newcomer bronze syllabus. Given the opportunity, I'm sure some celebrities would do well with syllabus steps, regardless of what level the steps are. There's a lot to be said for well executed basics.

13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

And it does get folks interested in dancing, so far as wanting to take lessons. But I think it's a little sad when folks come in saying I want to learn to do the quickstep like I saw on DWTS. That's not going to happen, for awhile at least.

14. fascination

true...it does play into unrealistic expectations...but most of those are already there...I expected to be a much better dancer much sooner...and I had never watched dwts

15. fascination

there's EVERYTHING to be said for it...but, aside from the ones with previous beneficial cross training, it wouldn't make for a show

16. TinyDancer109

yes, it will also be sad when someone goes into a ballroom studio asking to learn a foxtrot like nicole and derek's and they are forced to say "sorry, we dont teach theater jazz here"

lolz

17. fascination

meh...dunno...depends on the place...i see alot of showcase routines that bear very small resemblance to the dance they profess to be...

18. DanceJoy

DanceJoy Member

WRT the debate on whether or not to do showy routines, I thought that this video that Mengu posted was not at all boring, and they were actually doing foxtrot steps. I really liked it, in fact.

Is it just me, or is the quality of dancing on SCD a little higher than on DWTS? I mean, do the celebs pick up a better understanding of the basic technique over the course of the competition than the American stars? I have only seen a few clips from SCD, and they were all of some pretty good celebs, so I have nothing on which to base my opinion. However, if my observation is correct that the level of dancing is better, would this be because in SCD they seem to put together routines that are 90% actual ballroom dancing and only 10% fluff (again, another conclusion from my limited viewing experience), so the British celebs are expected to attain a higher degree of technical understanding? On the American show, they get away with a lot of fudging to compensate for lacking ballroom skills (if one more person says to me something regarding Nicole's ability to dance at a level of a ballroom professional--omg, wut?? nooooo...--I might scream).

IDK, those are just my thoughts, based on how I have been impressed by every SCD clip I have ever seen.

19. New in NY

New in NY New Member

The show is about ratings and entertainment first. The competitions which are sometimes broadcast on PBS are about ballroom dancing. I watch them, but I don't think most of the rest of America would have much interest in watching that on Monday night prime time.

20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member