Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 17

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by lacubs, Aug 31, 2013.

1. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

yes, many of those songs were bad for the dances assigned.

Useless input from Cher as a judge. But then, not sure what I was expecting from her. Maybe someone like Mia Michaels would have the testicular fortitude to tell it like it is.

2. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Episodes like this are great reminders of why Tom Bergeron is a top-notch host. He coaxed all the answers he needed out of Cher, and smooths over any awkward moment with ease.

3. kckc

kckc Active Member

I thoroughly enjoyed Cher. I mean really, who else would be over-the-top enough to fit into a show that has so completely jumped the shark?

You are so right, Tom B. rocks!

slhull.13 likes this.
  4. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Cher was great. But, again.....the wrong person went home. *sigh*

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

6. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Alright, the rundown:

I think everyone brought their A game today! The whole episode was entertaining! Even poor Bill, who's trying so hard even if his rhythm is off.

Corbin's trio...WOW. That was one of the best things I've seen in a long time.
    Elizabeth's trio was really good too!

I'm really, really surprised that she got voted off. Considering her high score, viewer votes must count for a LOT more than judges' scores with the new way they've structured the show.

Leah's trio was HYSTERICAL. All three the dancers impersonated the judges perfectly.

dancelvr likes this.
  7. davedove

davedove Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought Tony had Bruno's gestures down pat!!:D

slhull.13 likes this.
  8. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I actually stopped watching but I did hear about the latest results. I also heard ratings are down and it seems that I don't hear as much about the show as I used to. From what I can tell, viewers are either going to vote for the truly excellent dancers ( Corbin and Amber) , or the more relatable ones (Bill, Leah, Jack).

9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yes, and the final clip I saw online, the judges looked just horrified at the results.

10. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I'm just happy that Corbin and Amber are still in!

I wasn't a fan of Elizabeth, but I would've preferred to see Leah or Bill go.

dancelvr likes this.
  11. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

All I can say is that I will be really disappointed (as in I will shrug at the TV and go...meh) if Jack and/or Leah make it to the final over Amber. It should be Corbin for the win, Amber runner-up, and then Jack IMO.

slhull.13, Lioness and nikkitta like this.
  12. davedove

davedove Well-Known Member

Did anyone else really liked some of the "stripped down" versions of the music better than the original music? I really enjoyed that version of "Sexy and I Know It."

A few notes:

I agreed with Len's comment about Corbin's tango. It just seemed really frantic to me. But, what in the world were they supposed to do with that music? Max's comment about Karina was very sweet of him, and probably pretty accurate as well (after all, she IS Karina!). Although I really do think that Corbin has an unfair advantage this season, it's still so refreshing to see Karina have a partner that can keep up with her. Unless the fans go against them, I really expect them to win.

Yeah, Bill is not that great a dancer, but I think he really nailed that Argentine Tango and should have gotten a little better scoring for it. (The Cha Cha is a whole different story:rolleyes:). Still, he must have one incredible fan base.

I completely agreed with the judges and have felt that Leah was holding back the whole season. She has been so concerned with doing it right, that she didn't do it strong. When Tristan made some comments on the Dancing with the Stars cruise, he had a saying that has stuck with me: "Wrong but Strong". And that mirrors what I often tell hesitant partners: "Just go for it!"

No real comments on Amber. She's doing well, but then she does have Derek, who can make almost anyone look good. And the girl does have some talent. Although you never know about the voting, I expect her to take runner-up.

My hero for this season has got to be Jack. He has made some great progress this season and is hanging in there. Plus, I can't even begin to understand what he's going through personally with the MS.

13. kckc

kckc Active Member

I liked the stripped-down versions also. For some reason "Sexy and I Know It" was hysterical to me. Musically it was good, but the lyrics at that tempo cracked me up.

Speaking of frantic, the troupe/pro performances keep getting faster and faster and faster until I fully expect someone to go flying off the stage in a blur. Producers! I'm talking to you, though I know I'm not your prized demographic! Can we PLEASE get back to ballroom dancing instead of bump and grind? Sheesh. Rant over.

14. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Well, when pro dancers see to be having trouble keeping up with the choreography and staying synchronized, you know somethings up

I knew as soon as Corbin and Karina started their tango it was going to seem a little too frantic. It wasn't particularly to my taste--but sometimes you are stuck with a difficult piece of music, and it will always turn out better to play to the music's strengths than to try to interpret something that doesn't make sense. I think they made do with what they had. Even though he was right, Len's 8 was a little harsh.

His rumba was great! I loved the stripped down version of that song.

I was really pleased with Bill's Argentine Tango! It was probably his most technically proficient dance of the whole season, and he didn't stumble around or get off his timing. It would have been nice to see him rewarded with a 9, but if we're comparing his performance to those of others, the 8's make sense.

I am LOVING Jack right now! He's fun to root for and I'm glad he's going to the finals.

15. Wannabee

I was rooting for Bill early on, as I did not want his enthusiasm and work ethic to be met with an early departure. But I think he has outstayed his dancing at this point. Leah was certainly not in my top couples, but I think she showed better than Bill on the dance floor. I'm happy for Bill because I you can see how much it means to him, but it is time for him to go.

I must say that even though Corbin likely has this thing wrapped up, I am starting to root for Amber for the win. Karina certainly deserves a win, so there is that. But Derek has really impressed me this season with what he is able to pull out of whatever partner he gets. He has grown on me a lot this season by his presentation of Amber. She is talented, but he just takes his partners to the next level. I won't be disappointed if Corbin and Karina win either though.

16. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I just think if Derek wins again it'll be concrete proof they've jumped the shark. Last season even the other pros didn't look more than "meh" when the winner was announced. Besides, have a hot young guy be the winner couldn't hurt. (And yes, had a minor existential crisis where I was like "Wait, when did the kid from High School Music (no, the talented one) get to be hot?")

17. Wannabee

I thought Amber killed it last night in the free-style. For maybe the first time, I thought she kicked Corbin's rear end. His free-style was good, but I thought Amber's was much better. She has my vote for the win, but I won't be disappointed if Corbin wins. Or....could Jack actually pull off the upset?

18. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I saw the Cirque du Soleil Michael Jackson show in Vegas a couple of months and thouroughly enjoyed it (except for the two people in front of me who apparently had never been to a live show before...). So it was pretty cool to see the references to the show and Michale's dancing.

With this show, I just want to be entertained. And it seems to be accomplishing that this year.

19. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

So happy: Big girls FINALLY rule the ballroom! This is a GREAT inspiration to people who want to dance but are so worried about their body image. Amber worked hard and really brought it without making excuses and whining and taking the "fat girl cop-out" her character on Glee did (which infuriated me, as if the whole rest of the show didn't). I know you probably think I'm nuts, but I was also pulling for Bill Engvall solely because he IS the target demographic for me personally to keep interested and motivated in group classes. If he can keep plugging away at it, then there's no excuse for these guys fighting every single rock-step.