Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 17

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by lacubs, Aug 31, 2013.

1. HappyFeet

HappyFeet New Member

The funniest moment from this week was when Cheryl Burke announced - twice - that it was her time of the month. I like her a little bit more now, and she seems to be doing really good work with Jack.

2. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Again, Elizabeth was over scored. If they gave her nines, they should have given Corbin tens. That looked like the best paso this show has ever seen. IMHO. And, I love watching Bill E. His dancing isn't great, but he's do darned happy to be out there, ya just gotta smile. I'm enjoying Jack too. That quickstep wasn't terrible at all.

3. kckc

kckc Active Member

actu
    actually I said I think she ISN'T underscored :) I am in the distinct minority here.

4. kckc

kckc Active Member

While I don't agree about Elizabeth, I totally agree about Corbin. And Jack- I think he is quite good, in Smooth anyway. I don't think Bill is horrible either. The music this past week was horrific, even by DWTS standards. When the dance is announced as Salsa and all I can hear is Samba beat, you know things aren't going to go well.

5. leee

leee Well-Known Member

6. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Halfway thru the show...I'm definitely on team Corbin for the win! Can't believe he has not gotten straight tens yet. Bill is very likeable but can't say his dancing warranted 8s. Getting tired of Carrie Ann's ' no lift patrol' . Please DWTS... No more contemporary! Just not fair to the stars who've never danced before, as Leah was trying to point out.

Lioness likes this.
  7. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Interesting...in googling Corbin he has had quite a background in dance...ballet, jazz and hip hop, which supports my theory expressed on other threads....if you have a dance background, it certainly helps with ballroom!

8. kckc

kckc Active Member

I assume you saw the pros talking about that...opinions are all over the map on that one! Personally, I think that just having danced in the past isn't the issue, it is whether or not you have an aptitude for it and excelled at dancing, whatever type of dance it was. The people accused of being ringers in the past were good because they had an aptitude for dance, not just that they had taken classes at some point in their life. I could take singing lessons till the cows come home and still wouldn't be able to carry a tune with a bucket.

As for the elimination...wow! Didn't see that one coming at all!

9. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I kinda did. I couldn't connect with that person, and perhaps others who were voting didn't either. As they said, it isn't just about the dancing.

10. kckc

kckc Active Member

I think I just figured her scores were high enough. I still have no idea who she is!

11. nikkitta

With the new elimination scenario, I don't know how much each portion counts. It used to be half judges + half viewer votes, I think. But now they're adding in the judging scores from the day of elimination too.

12. davedove

davedove Well-Known Member

Some of my thoughts:

Amber Riley, Derek Hough - I actually agreed with Len's comments for this performance, but maybe not his score. It needed more foxtrot content. That being said, it was a great dance.

Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi, Sasha Farber - Good dance, and I'm surprised she's doing so well. Still, it looked more like a modified jive or something to me. Why do they have jazz anyway??? As for her memorable year, I really do hope she has changed from her earler self. That girl was ridiculous.

Leah Remini, Tony Dovolani - Okay Leah, we get it, you're not a dancer. But, we're getting real tired of your constantly reminding us. Quit using that as an excuse and go for it. Your attitude is holding you back.

Corbin Blue, Karina Smirnoff - The man can dance and it's real refreshing to see Karina so excited about her partnership again.

Brant Daugherty, Peta Murgatroyd - This was a good enough dance, but I just don't think contemporary should be one of the dances.

Elizabeth Berkley Lauren, Valentin Chmerkovskiy - I don't remember which judge said it, but I agree that her kicks needed to be sharper. Still a great dance though.

Jack Osbourne, Cheryl Burke - Way to go Jack! That was a great dance!

Bill Engvall, Emma Slater - Good job Bill! You're still not the best dancer, or even close, but we love watching you try.

Christina Milan, Mark Ballas - Another "shocking" elimination, but then again, maybe not. Yeah, she was a good dancer, but I just think not enough people really know who she is. That, and something about her just put me off. Maybe that's why she didn't get the votes. It makes you think though, they said at the beginning that one of the females stars would go home based on just the votes. Well, Christina tied for the highest judges' score, yet she still went home. Just how few votes did she get???

Final note: Get rid of the contemporary and jazz as regular dances for the contestants. If you want to have a special challenge week, that would be okay to use them then, but these are not ballroom dances and should not be in the regular rotation.

13. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Totally agree about Amber's foxtrot. Pleasant enough to watch, but I was glad Len pointed out how little content there was. Even then, I was still surprised by the score.

Corbin has my vote all the way.

For once, I don't think Elizabeth was overscored. I thought this was her best dance so far, even though I've (basically) decided that though I imagine she'll be a finalist, I don't think she should win.

Loved both Jack and Bill! They're improving every week, and they're the kind of people you WANT to see succeed.

I was surprised by Christina's elimination but I don't disagree with it. I had trouble connecting with her as well...and she must have been doomed for the gallows before the day even started--considering she tied for first and was still eliminated.

14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I just watched the second half of DWTS...surprised about her elimination. I don't think I've seen such a high scorer eliminated. I actually enjoyed watching Christina and she is certainly a better dancer than Bill or Leah, and I would think has the same voter appeal. Still not warming up to Elizabeth...while Corbin uses his dance background and applies it well to ballroom, I don't see the same thing in Elizabeth and her background. Snooki's jazz looked more like hip hop, not sure how Amber's foxtrot was a foxtrot, though both were entertaining dances.

15. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I'm started to get annoyed with the lift police...so the foot came a tiny bit off the floor? Whatever, dude. As long as it isn't a blatant lift, fine.

Can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure there have been a lot of big lifts in Aus DWTS, especially towards the end of the season.

debmc likes this.
  16. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Just watched this week's episode. Yay for Colin! I'm liking him for the win. I still don't care for Elizabeth. There is just something about her dancing that bugs me. Liking Jack and Bill, though.

debmc likes this.
  17. nikkitta

I also liked how they incorporated short singing performances throughout the show. I hear that song all the time on the radio, but didn't know who sang it. He's good!

18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Loved the improv section on the show, as it was a little more representative of a regular comp....different songs, different dances, side by side couples competing. I got the impression it was not totally improv tho, they seemed to have snippets of choreography planned for each possible dance selection. Soooo disappointed to see Corbin at the bottom of leader board tho. I am hoping this does not mean he could possibly get eliminated....he should be at least in the final top three. The judges really seem to be pushing for a win for Elizabeth and Val....is it just me or are they critiquing Amber and Derek and Corbin and Karina purely because they are the top contenders to beat Elizabeth and Val?

19. davedove

davedove Well-Known Member

They would have been smart to have some "generic" choreography for each type of music. That just makes sense.

My main head-scratcher for the night was seeing a tango danced to Cheeseburger in Paradise. They pulled if off, but really????

Poor Emma was actually crying when she thought they had been eliminated. You could see the tears on her face afterwards. I like Bill as much as the next person, but surely she knows he's probably not going to make it to the finals.

I do like how Leah does seem to be accepting that maybe, just maybe, she CAN dance.

20. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

TOTALLY agree that the judges seem to be pushing for Elizabeth and Val. Which is silly because Amber, and especially Corbin, have been performing better than she has.