Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 17

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by lacubs, Aug 31, 2013.

1. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Also agreed...Cheeseburger in Paradise?! How is that fair in the slightest?

2. kckc

kckc Active Member

I didn't even see Elizabeth and Val perform and I'm sure they were overscored. Why? Because for some reason the scores are hyperinflated already for everyone (and I'm one of the few who think they are one of the better couples!) The only 10-worthy performance I've seen so far was Corbin/Karina Paso and that was massively underscored.

And Len needs...something...he is all over the place. Too basic. Not basic enough. Too repetitive. What. Do. You. Want. !!! Maybe the judges know the show is out of control and have thrown in the towel.

slhull.13 likes this.
  3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Either Elizabeth and Val are getting a LOT of votes so they're going with it as inevitable, or they figure it has to be one of those three, they know a lot of viewers may be over the show completely if Derek wins AGAIN, and they'd rather push the pro who hasn't had a winner yet and who some people think got ripped off with Zendaya (maybe giving Val and Elizabeth some backlash votes.)

rydancefan likes this.
  4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Was anyone else not very impressed with the opening number choreographed by Benji and Lacey Schwimmer?
    Am I the only one who thinks that latest reincarnation of Sing, Sing, Sing, doesn't Swing?
    Compare to the scene from Swing Kids, both musically and dance wise.

And BTW, Norma Miller wrote that there would be no air steps in a ballroom in that era.
    The song was also used in the musical Fosse, to great effect.
    (Will spare you another link, but you can easily find it on YouTube.)
    Is it simply a more or less mismatch of music and dance genres?

5. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I wasn't crazy about the opening number either. I read somewhere (maybe FB) that the crew claimed it was the best opening number ever. I prefer the numbers done by Louis Van Amstel or Jason G.

rydancefan likes this.
  6. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

What kind of moron would come up with the idea that the dancers do an improv, which is nothing more than a lead/follow like we do at most social venues? It was a train wreck of colossal proportions!

Everyone but the non-dancing public understands that DWTS dancers do choreography. The stars don't know how to lead/follow because that takes years to learn. So they do flashy choreography because the dancing place bcause nothing more than an exercise in rote memory.

I'm surprised that the producers of the show would allow their show to be exposed for what it is: entertainment packaged as dancing. I really sympathize with the male stars because they don't know how to follow. At least the female stars could allow their pros to throw them around even though it looked very ugly.

The opening tango was beyond terrible! Every other tango was bad aw well. ABC is very lucky that the vast majority of the American public is totally ignorant when it comes to partnered dancing, and therefore less likely to understand what a catastrophe that was aired.

7. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

Oops! There are a few errors in my original text. Since I can no longer edit it, let me correct the worst one:

Which should read:

I really sympathize with the male stars because they don't know how to lead.

8. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I thought it made sense, as in he should follow his teacher's back lead!! :)

9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yes, I thought I noticed a lot of that with Cheryl and Jack.

10. kckc

kckc Active Member

Loved loved loved Amber/Derek Paso. Wow! No other performances really stood out for me apparently since I can't remember any others except for the group dances.

Which, BTW, anybody else think Bill's team got hosed? I wasn't that impressed with the fox dance. Well, actually I was impressed, just not as entertained as I was with Spooky Bom Bom. (sp.?).

11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

the fox dance was tough to interpret coz the song is stupid.. that being said Derek killed it again

kckc likes this.
  12. davedove

davedove Active Member

Both of the team dances were really fun and I'll have to say I did like the fox outfits for the ladies.;)

That being said, I did find Spooky Bom Bom much more entertaining. And I have to agree with Carrie Ann - Bill did have central role in that performance and he did really well. Bill is certainly not the best dancer, but I enjoy watching him a lot (having Emma for a partner doesn't hurt either;)).

I'm not sorry to see Nicole go home, as I'm not really a big fan. However, she did well on the show and I do have a better opinion of her now.

And, it's just so refreshing to see Karina so excited about the dancing again.

13. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

true dat

nikkitta likes this.
  14. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

I totally see your point on this...however I do have to admit I always get a little frustrated when the contestants complain about how underprepared they feel for "on the spot" dances, or improv sections. In particular, I'm thinking of the All-Star season, where the three finalists were FREAKING OUT over having to dance for 30 seconds without having first heard the music. For starters---that is what we, as competitive dancers, do every competition. It's not even as difficult as the improv challenge was, because they had plenty of time to prepare short routines that only have to be danced on the correct beat. We see thrilling routines that move us and excite us all the time at competitions, and none of those dancers choreographed their routines to music. In fact, I'd say the Pros are the WORST culprits when it comes to complaining about on-the-spot dances. Which is funny, to me, because they all come from traditional competition backgrounds. They're pros, for pete's sake. Surely they can come up with something exciting that's "somewhat" technical, and stays on time.

15. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the stars are not learning to dance they are learning to perform routines. Big difference.

IndyLady likes this.
  16. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Yup. The Pros were probably all :eek: because they knew they'd need to drag/backlead their partners through the "unplanned" dances. As I recall there are plenty of verbal cues that we don't see/hear. When there was an additional re-cap elimination show, they'd often show subtitles.

17. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

To be fair, that happens at a lot of pro-am events...(Also totally unrelated conversations, though maybe that's just RP's strategy for getting me to smile.)

18. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Well, to perform any of the dances correctly (especially the Ballroom ones--you can't fake good frame) they have to be taught a decent amount of technique, right?

19. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Yes, but I don't think they are learning how to link figures into various combinations in order to improvise.

20. old dog

old dog Member

Has there ever been an evening with less connection between the music and the types of dancing? I'm not a fan of Cher, but her music is okay... it is just not ok for most ballroom dances. (Maybe somewhere in her discography there is something suitable for ballroom, but don't ask me to search for it.) A foxtrot done with a cha cha rhythm? When there is this much disconnect between the music and the dancing, I can't focus on the dancing at all, so I mute the sound. (There is no way I could get my body to foxtrot to this music on a dance floor.) The VW was the best fit, a little fast for Leah to keep up though.