Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS season 19

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by sbrnsmith, Aug 13, 2014.

1. phazesix

phazesix New Member

Today they came out with this list:
    • Olympian Lolo Jones; partnered with Keo Motsepe
    • Tommy Chong of Cheech and Chong; partnered with Peta Murgatroyd
    • Duck Dynasty star Sadie Robertson; partnered with Mark Ballas
    • Actor Antonio Sabato Jr.; partnered with Cheryl Burke
    • YouTube star Bethany Mota; partnered with Derek hugh
    • Actor Jonathan Bennett; partnered with Allison Holker
    • MMA Champion Randy Couture; partnered with Karina Smirnoff
    • Pretty Little Liars star Janel Parrish; partnered with Val Chmerkoskiy
    • Fresh prince of Bel-Air star Alfonso Ribiero; partnered with Witney Carson
    • Designer Betsey Johnson; partnered with Tony Dovolani
    • Race car driver Michael Waltrip; partnered with Emma Slater
    • Actress Lea Thompson; partnered with Artem Chigvintsev
    If Betsey Johnson is on there I'll be happy since I'm a designer. :) She's pretty limber for a 72 yr old...still doing those cartwheels on the runway! But I'm sure she won't come anywhere near the finals....poor Tony (again...it this list is correct). I hope Alfonso Ribiero is on there too...I'm sure he's still got the moves...NOT the Carlton ones, but I'm sure they'd surface at least once.

And where's Sharna?? I guess that's supposed to be a secret.
    Who knows tho....I guess we'll just have to wait & see. When are they announcing? Thursday?

MaggieMoves likes this.
  2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Michael Waltrip? :jawdrop:

3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Who is sharna s partner then. It's the usual list which will be half right

4. Mr 4 styles

Yes Thursday will be the real list. It will differ I assure you

5. davedove

davedove Active Member

Here's the official list:

Dancing With the Stars
    Season 19:

Alfonso Ribeiro and Witney Carson

Sadie Robertson and Mark Ballas

Michael Waltrip and Emma Slater

Lolo Jones and Keo Motsepe

Jonathan Bennett and Allison Holker

Lea Thompson and Artem Chigvintsev

Antonio Sabato Jr. and Cheryl Burke

Randy Couture and Karina Smirnoff

Janel Parrish and Val Chmerkovskiy

Tommy Chong and Peta Murgatryod

Betsey Johnson and Tony Dovolani

Bethany Mota and Derek Hough

Tavis Smiley and Sharna Burgess

6. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

These pairings are entirely predictable. I think we can all guess how this season is going to go.

7. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

I am so incredibly sick of this show! First, Olympic atheletes paired against senior citizens, now an actual dancer paired against senior citizens. Alfonso only pretended to not know how to dance on "Fresh Prince". He is a very, very well trained dancer who has been an A-List professional since "The Tap Dance Kid" on Broadway in the mid '80s. How is this even pretentously fair, right, or even entertaining? Sure, watching good dancers is fun, but watching someone else intentionally humiliated for ratings is crap. Seriously... Why should we watch or care anylonger? SYTYCD has become a much better program.

Hedwaite likes this.
  8. duffypratt

duffypratt Member

Funny that you are upset about Alfonso. Lea Thompson danced with American Ballet Theatre and a few other ballet companies before deciding to be an actress. It's reality TV. That means it has nothing to do with a real competition.

Angel HI likes this.
  9. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Both DWTS and SYTYCD are wearing thin with me.

As soon as audience voting is a factor, it is no longer a real competition, unless you count "popularity contest" as a type of competition.

I'm fine watching both advanced and beginner "contestants". Will the judges be a bit pickier with good dancers? Sure, I don't see a problem with that, given what I've already said. The problem is that their comments have become pretty useless and (in my mind) often misguided, and the scores are meaningless. Plus the content of the dances barely resembles what it is supposed to be (rumba, samba, waltz, etc).

Nonetheless, I will be watching anyways....

dancelvr likes this.
  10. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Me too IndyLady.

I will watch the show until it isn't on anymore. Some seasons I find myself struggling to pay attention (I usually find old youtube videos on my ipad much more entertaining), and other seasons I enjoy it all the up to the announcement of the winners.

danceronice and IndyLady like this.
  11. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Following up on Nigel's comment last night that there have been so many SYTYCD alumni who have appeared as pros or performers on the show that they should rename it Dancing With The Stars from So You Think You Can Dance, I'll watch to see the former SYTYCD contestants who show up on the show as pros or performers. (somewhat tongue in cheek, as was Nigel's remark, I'm sure. and yeah, it's usually for short runs). That, and just because it's about dance, etc. Yeah, it's easy to tune out, but then I usually have reading material on hand to get me through the dull bits.

12. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Agreed...I will probably continue to watch it even as the quality deteriorates, though the mediums through which I watch it change from season to season. Last season I watched every episode on TiVo, or even live, because I LOVED last season's stars. This season? We'll have to see. Maybe youtube clips the next day.

13. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I don't watch it for serious dancing....I just like the cheesiness, the glitter and the showmanship aspect....it's a popularity vote...nothing I take seriously or get upset about. DWTS is in it's 19th season....I remember early on I would get upset when the winner was not the best dancer....or when ringers appeared on the show....or when poor Tony Dovolani got another 70 plus year old contestant....now I just watch for fun and as a stress reliever....
    Somehow, cannot get invested in SYTYCD...tried watching....the contemporary numbers get lost on me completely. I'd rather watch DWTS

chachachacat likes this.
  14. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I agree with you up until the last two lines. (I love SYTYCD!)
    About DWTS~
    I enjoy watching dancing!
    It still makes me happy to watch ballroom dancing on tv.
    I can cheer or boo, critique or clap, it's fun for me.
    I like it.
    I watch it.
    I record it to watch when I want to.
    So here's one thumbs up!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  15. Mr 4 styles

Sytycd may not be renewed next year as its ratings tanked yet again. So it may be dwts or nothing. Back to just pbs would be bad for dance as a whole

16. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Oof. That would be a bummer. Though I still haven't watched all of last week's show, let alone the finale... though I know who won.

They need better choreography and more interesting contestants. For some reason, I just didn't care about any of the dancers this year and could barely remember who was who. Tanisha and Valerie were the only females who stood out for me (and Valerie primarily because she was the hometown girl and easily recognizeable).

17. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I don't like when certain pros get held up, but we're kind of at the point where everyone of them who ought to have a mirror ball has one, and there is always Tom Bergeron. What may actually drive me away is all the contemporary crap. If I wanted that, I'd watch SYTYCD (I don't. I'm not interested in any other style except straight ballet.) And sometimes you get someone you don't expect. Who would ever have thought you'd see Buzz "Dr. Rendezvous, Second-Man-On-The-Moon" Aldrin dancing on TV? Skating fans did not think Meryl was going to be such a mature, sensuous performer. The dancing's not all great or even good, but that's true at comps, too.

18. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Wondering if Lolo Jones will be a repeat of Hope Solo. I was disappointed with Hope. She did not come across as a like able personality and was high-maintenance.

19. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I do remember Hope getting all upset at the judges remarks sometimes, and I remember thinking that they were doing their best to find something nice-ish to say at all. Her dancing was THAT bad.

I saw an ESPN show about Lolo Jones, which chronicled her as a track star at LSU, through her Olympic trials and domination of the hurdles on the International stage, through her Olympic games where she was the huge favorite to win, her going into the last hurdle with the lead, hitting the hurdle and finishing fourth. It showed her crying under the stands right after the race. Then she got over it and was competing again but kept hitting hurdles in races (things she rarely did before the Olympics). Come to find out, she had some sort of medical issue with her spine or back (I cannot remember exactly what was wrong). She had lost feeling in part of her foot (the one that leads her jump into the hurdle), and that is why she began hitting them in her races. The docs were surprised that she had been able to do as well as she had. She ended up having to have major surgery on her back/spine. After she recovered, she made her second Olympic team (I don't remember how she placed but her accomplishment was getting back to the Olympics). Then she finally won the Indoor Track and Field world title in hurdles.

And, after all that, she managed to make the winter Olympics bobsled team, so I'm a big fan lol. I believe I heard the announcers say that she put on several pounds of muscle in order to compete in bobsled (like 15 pounds or something like that, a lot for a female). So, given all that she has overcome and accomplished, I'm hopeful that she won't let the DWTS judges hurt her feelings and make her cry the way they did with Hope.

Also, I'm pretty sure I just revealed all of Lolo's "most memorable year" type stuff that they will highlight on the show. SPOILER ALERT!

20. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

From what I can see, there are no 'ringers' on the list.