Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS season 19

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by sbrnsmith, Aug 13, 2014.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I think DWTS has two current problems. The stars are less and less recognizable so there really isn't a keen interest to see them going through their dance journey. Their continued interest in exploring styles outside of ballroom fall flat.

Lioness and dancelvr like this.
  2. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

:dancingbanana:

chachachacat, RiseNFall and phazesix like this.
  3. phazesix

phazesix New Member

Heeheee...he is CLEARLY the front runner!! ...No, seriously he is!!!!
    Check out the Carlton Dance on Soul Train on YouTube (I can't post the link here cuz I'm too new).

He could go on SYTYCD he's so well rounded! There is a video of him singing with Tom Jones & he sounds really good. I wonder if he was ever on Broadway?? Triple threat! Maybe this will be his big comeback. I think the last time I saw him he was hosting some game show on The Game Show Network.

MaggieMoves likes this.
  4. MaggieMoves

He might be a ringer. :)

GJB, debmc and phazesix like this.
  5. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

He's partnered with Witney though, so I wonder if she's up to the challenge of choreographing for him? If he was with someone like Karina or Cheryl or Peta, I'd say: No problem. Plus I haven't really connected with Witney personality-wise. She's got the young-and-cute thing going on, but I care more about the other aforementioned pros (not that I bother to vote).

6. phazesix

phazesix New Member

I don't know...are a ringer's skills supposed to be a secret? I'm a little confused on what the definition of ringer is exactly. I'm sure most people know about Alfonso's skills by now...at least those that are old enough. I didn't know he was on Broadway before he was on Silver Spoons tho and I didn't know about Lea being in ballet but they talked about it openly on GMA.

I don't really care that they put ringers on, I'm just happy to watch dance on tv. I would rather watch good dancers anyway. But, people will pull for anyone with a great personality & attitude even if they're not the greatest.

I think they put Alfonso with Whitney because of the height issue. Online it says he is 5'5" -5'6" and she is 5'3". I would have loved him with some of the other girls too but I guess Whitney is the shortest. But I like her, she's got a lot of youthful energy and probably has fresh ideas.

7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

People considered Meryl one because she'd taken lessons, Wonder Years Girl had actually done serious lessons pro-am style (Meryl ended up having better routines and a chemistry with her pro whats-her-name didn't.) Jennifer Grey obviously had a lot more dance training than just having learned for "Dirty Dancing" (though given Patrick Swayze could have been another Fred Astaire if he was born in another time that might have been enough on its own). Probably the biggest ringer was Nicole, given most of her job involved professional dancing. Pretty much anyone who's younger and reasonably fit has a big advantage--just stamina-wise, a fit actor in their twenties or a professional athlete is going to hold up better than a Cloris Leachman or Buzz Aldrin. The voting gives people with serious disadvantages some help though I suspect after the Master P debacle the producers reserve the right to tweak the results to get rid of a lingering "vote for the worst" situation.

8. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

I agree with others here, DWTS should stay away from other styles. If I wanted to see contemporary SYTYCD is the best of that genre on TV and most of the pros were not trained in that style. Just curious if Strictly Come Dancing is doing the same thing. (styles outside of ballroom)

Seems like the producers are trying to get younger viewers, but if they aren't watching SYTYCD than that is a lost cause.

IndyLady and Mr 4 styles like this.
  9. davedove

davedove Well-Known Member

I really think that a lot of people vote the pros anymore, as they are more well known than some of the "stars". But then again, Alfonso is pretty likable and he may be the one to pull Whitney up towards the top. Even if they don't win, i suspect they'll be in for a while.

10. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

My point exactly.

11. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

The show has made no secret for years that the 'Stars' are the pros and not the celebs.

See my post http://dance-forums.com/threads/dwts-season-19.45349/page-4#post-1049585

Yes, he is 5'5"... or, very close to it.

12. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Tonight's show-
    Antonio Sabato- wow, he has aged.... A stiff dancer, but could be first night jitters
    Lolo Jones- obnoxious.... And bad at dancing..... Why oh why are elite athletes so bad
    Bethany Mota- who? And Derek gets a young and capable dancer, yet again
    Sadie from Duck dynasty- I liked her, and Mark wasn't that annoying
    Tommy Chong- entertaining
    Sharna- total girl crush, she's gorgeous
    Alfonso Riviera- wow! I loved him

The others were a blur...
    Oh wait, I liked Karinas partner too... Forgot his name, but he seems sweet and sexy

13. sbrnsmith

And Julianne- totally superfluous. Go away.

jiwinco likes this.
  14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Elite athletes bad?? Apollo ohno winner helio winner Emmet Smith winner Donald driver winner. Evan runner up meryl winner etc

15. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

tennis player, swimmer, soccer player - bombed (names are escaping me, sorry)

16. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Kristi yamaguchi winner. Shawn john son runner up then winner jason taylor runner up charlie white

17. MaggieMoves

Lolo Jones... just not sure what the heck happened there. Seemed like she had one too many inhibitions about doing the Cha Cha.

Carlton... wow... maybe a small bit of rust here and there, but I think he'll win. He's clearly on a different plane than everyone else.

18. limni299

limni299 Member

Haven't seen everyone yet but agree on the comments made regarding Carlton so far, he's definitely the ringer here.

Not wanting to be a ballroom snob :oops:, but I find it very difficult to look at those "pros" who are not anywhere near the same level technically as a Karina or Val.

theAnnelis, jiwinco, Lioness and 2 others like this.
  19. sbrnsmith

Some of them can be- example- Hope Solo, Martina Navratilova, Diane Nyad.,Monica Seles.

IMO- Lolo Jones was cringeworthy last night, especially her reaction to her marks and her overall attitude.

20. davedove

davedove Well-Known Member

Danced well, but I expected it:

Alfonso Ribeiro
    Lea Thompson

Totally unexpected ability:

Sadie Robertson
    Jonathan Bennett (He just seemed so happy to be there!)
    Randy Couture
    Janel Parrish
    Bethany Mota

Need to step it up:

Michael Waltrip (I love Emma. She's such a sweetheart in person. But, unless he gets the redneck vote, he needs to give us more.)
    Lolo Jones (She needs to keep quiet more. We understand you messed up, but you didn't help your case any with all the commentary.)
    Antonio Sabato Jr. (A little stiff, loosen up man.)
    Tommy Chong (Love the guy and it was great seeing Cheech. Say, when do we get Cheech dancing?)
    Betsey Johnson (Bad luck with the boa, but that's the risk of working with props.)
    Tavis Smiley (He did okay for a first night, but needs more.)