Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS season 19

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by sbrnsmith, Aug 13, 2014.

1. kckc

kckc Active Member

I would move Tavis into the Totally Unexpected group, but otherwise agree with everything. And the biggest surprise? Randy Couture. Where the heck did THAT come from! Oh, and Lolo, just be quiet. Cringeworthy is right.

2. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

DWTS was pre-empted in my area for the local Monday Night football game, so I haven't seen it yet ... it will be airing at 3:00 pm on Thursday.

3. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

*sigh* it's a man's world. Want to see the day when a sports broadcast is interrupted for soaps or DWTS, y'know? :rolleyes:

Lioness and IndyLady like this.
  4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

The NFL is making tons of money and networks pay big bucks because they know they can sell lots of ads and make lots of money...

Consider this, as reported by the Las Vegas Review-Journal in 2011 a survey revealed
    "that 42 percent of the NFL's total fan base is made up of women."
    http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/football/super-bowl/women-proving-be-dedicated-nfl-fans

Because of MaggieMoves' post, I actually recognized Dance with Me Tonight.
    Hmmm. Olly Murs wrote the song along with two other writers, and Murs was thinking MoTown / 'white boy soul’ sound . I agree with one critic who hears 50s do-wop, not that "the swinging '60s funk-pop sound." But it IS swinging!

5. IndyLady

I've only watched Lolo and Randy so far, on youtube.

Totally agreed. Seriously, just be quiet and *LISTEN* to the judge's critiques. Even though I did state they were becoming useless, in this case I think they could have offered some helpful advice if she had just allowed them to talk. Like Judge Judy says, put your listening ears on. You have two ears and one mouth for a reason.

Randy Couture pleasantly surprised me (I'm rooting for him). Graceful and manly, and looked like he was enjoying himself. However, I think Karina should have left out at least one set, if not all, of the bird wing arms where they were back to back - he looked a lot better when he was using his arms/hands to actually lead her, instead of awkwardly free-styling them. However, while I think smooth/standard suits him well, I have a feeling the Latin/rhythm is going to prove much more challenging when he has to start isolating the hips. But loved his debut performance.

6. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

One of my non-dancing friends said she was "really disappointed in this season because no one except Alfonso was any fun to watch". I must say that is actually why this season has me intrigued more so than many of the recent ones. We may (and I stress the word MAY) actually get to see people learning how to dance. I am looking forward to watching their journeys this season.

IndyLady likes this.
  7. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping Lolo jones is gone tonight.

8. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

hahaha something we agree on!

9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I actually thought Sadie's scores were higher than I expected.

Alfonso was very good...and this was just week one!

10. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I actually felt bad for Lolo. I know what it feels like to have worked on something hard in practice and it doesn't come together on the floor. It is embarrassing and I think that is what she was primarily feeling. Sorry that we won't get to see more of Keo....he seems like a talented and enthusiastic young dancer.

Lioness likes this.
  11. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I don't feel bad for her- it's one thing to work hard on something and not have it come together.... It's another thing to be a whiny, self absorbed unlike able cringeworthy contestant, who thinks that somehow because you are an Olympian that you are better or more deserving. I enjoyed every second of her discomfort when she was in 'jeopardy'. I do feel sorry for her pro however- Keo seems like a nice guy and good dancer. Hope he gets another chance at DWTS.
    I was really rooting for Betsey when it came down to her and Lolo. She has more sass and more personality in her little finger, than Ms Jones has in her entire body.
    Loved Jonathan's big eyes when he was waiting to hear his fate- what a doll!
    Settling in to watch this season- bring on the glitter!

12. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Lolo went home tonight. I didn't expect her to last very long and she was pretty cringe-worthy last night and didn't do herself any favors with her reactions. Plus, no one knows her pro. She would still be there if she were dancing with Derek or Mark, etc.

I really wanted Chong to go home tonight. He said himself the only reason he did the show was because Cheech bet him that he couldn't. And I know the show is stretching for "celebrities" and all but is this the best they can do? A guy who is famous for smoking weed? Sorry Chong but you will get no sympathy from me when you verbalized how little you care for the show.

13. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

So glad Lolo got cut

14. IndyLady

This I agree with. I haven't watched the whole show or any of the results show yet, but I did enjoy Keo's dancing and was looking forward to more. :(

debmc likes this.
  15. IndyLady

I completely understand Lolo's frustration... however, the reaction was inappropriate. When you know you messed up, you gotta take your lumps. That conversation would have been fine with her pro in a private backstate debriefing, but it was not ok to keep talking over the judges like that while they were trying to provide feedback. Just like the Olympics - you get one shot, don't screw it up. Don't pull a Tonya Harding.

16. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

I haven't gotten around to watching the results show yet, so I didn't get to see any other reactions, BUT I did feel sympathy for Lolo more than anything else on Monday. Mostly because I could tell she was more embarrassed than anything.

I thought Betsey was adorable and I felt SO badly during the feather boa mishap!
    Unfortunately none of the girls seemed to burst out with spectacular talent from the get-go.
    Alfonso was definitely the bar-setter, and I think he will continue to set the bar well above the competition. We might see Jonathan, Janel, or maybe Bethany (thanks to the Derek magic) make a play for the top spot, but his ease and comfort with the movement already put him a few steps ahead of everyone else.

Oh, I also hope Michael gets the opportunity to step into Bill Engvall's shoes because I LOVE Emma and I want her to stay on as long as possible!

debmc likes this.
  17. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Is it back to a two night show?

18. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Only this week and next. And the finals, I think. But they'll be going back to one night a week for most of the season.

debmc likes this.
  19. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Wish they'd do the first elimination based on two weeks of dances. Stinks to have only one chance, though that's how it goes in the Real World.

sbrnsmith likes this.
  20. M. Waltrip Racing

M. Waltrip Racing New Member

Hey Everyone,

We are the NASCAR team that Michael Waltrip owns and we are very excited about Michael being on the show this season. We've just discovered this blog and would love to contribute anyway we can. Feel free to ask us questions about Michael or racing. Thank you for the votes to get us past round 1. We promise you Michael is working hard to get better each and every week.

SLHull, we agree and want them to hang around too and have really enjoyed getting to know Emma.

Here is the video we put together of Michael and Emma talking to fans in Time Square after the GMA announcement. Hope you enjoy!

slhull.13, cornutt and MaggieMoves like this.