Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 20

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by sbrnsmith, Feb 11, 2015.

1. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Am I the only one who thought ValenRue's jive was super cute? It was bubbly, well acted, and the technique was decent. However, I know most celebs have trouble with it but I LOVE to see kicks and flicks with the knees tight together, or proper bounce in the jive basic as opposed to the "stepping and picking up your knee really high" thing. The last person I saw to really do that and do it well was Charlie, I believe.

I was disappointed to see Willow go, mostly because I've been enjoying Mark's performances lately. She is nice and all but didn't win me over on her own.

I liked Nastia and Sasha's routine more than I usually do, but I kept getting distracted by Derek in the background. Did anyone else agree?

Ugh. Well Allison and Riker's quickstep was better than their tango and their foxtrot, but I think everyone's already pointed out the particulars that are troublesome. Better, but not great.

2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

If Derek were being classy, he would have worked on the routine with them and then stepped back and let Sasha and Nastia dance. But he turned it into the All About Derek Show. Again. If you can't dance, back off. Makes me wondered how deliberately pointed Tom's being 'teasing' Sasha about the crab suit and bringing it up again. (Speaking of Tom, his going into "dad mode" and hugging Willow when she was clearly crushed...:inlove: Can we give him all the hosting Emmys ever, please?)

I found Rumer's jive tentative and slow. And she was MUCH nicer than I would have been if I'd had my neck cracked like that.

Willow should have stayed, not only because she was really doing well and clearly Mark was having a blast coming up with routines, but because the Bachelor is about three weeks overdue for a booting. Even Whitney seems like she's hoping NOT to hear "you're safe." Tool.

IndyLady likes this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Chris soules. Charlotte McKinney. Chris Robert and Noah should have all gone before willow if dance talent alone was judged. It's dereks world btw. You are just being allowed to watch

jiwinco likes this.
  4. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

For the double elimination, the bachelor and Noah can go.

I felt bad for Willow, but I am conflicted if younger and younger contestants should do the show....what's next? A 12 year old? Not saying a 12 year old can't dance, but there's a lot more to the show than just dancing...it needs some level of maturity and being able to handle disappointment...JMO

IndyLady likes this.
  5. sbrnsmith

Also, I liked the cheesy 10th anniversary reunion show, but it was too rushed and they could not give time to some previous DWTS greats like Mario Lopez and Mel B....and others....and obviously, not everyone from last 10 seasons can dance on the show, but how on earth do you decide who gets to be on?

theAnnelis likes this.
  6. danceronice

That's a bizarre thing to say considering the massively immature tantrums thrown by previous contestants who were all well over the age of majority. Willow handled disappointment better than Hope Solo, Lolo whatsherface and Kate Gosslein combined...Most of the immature people who've been on DWTS have been long past the point when youth and inexperience was an excuse.

And my guess based on the somewhat random selection of anniversary people was they tried for popular when they could get it (like Maks and Meryl, and Whitney and Alfonso) and took 'available' when they couldn't. Though I liked the NFL number. Dancing unmasculine? We can practically field a football side from DWTS contestants.

7. sbrnsmith

Bizarre? Really?
    I wasn't talking about how well or how badly anyone handled disappointment.....just simply that at 14 years old one just does not have life experience equivalent to a 35 year old for example. I never said Willow didn't handle her elimination gracefully.
    Also if I want to watch kids dancing, I will watch dance moms or something.... I don't want to see 10-12 year olds on DWTS competing with adults.... It just does not seem fair

8. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Yeah, you have a point there. Whatshername - Zendaya? made it bit awkward for the more "adult" moments in dancing too. Then again, seems like tweens are growing up way too soon with respect to how they act and dress these days.

what's that hashtag for this... #oldiemcmoldie? :rolleyes:

9. danceronice

No, you actually said, ".it needs some level of maturity and being able to handle disappointment", which is a statement at odds with the context. And yeah, considering the fourteen-year-old was better on the show than a lot of the adults who've been on there, that's a bizarre thing to think. I can't actually think of a "young" competitor (Willow, Zendaya, Shawn, all spring to mind) who had anything like the tantrums, meltdowns, complaining, or bad sportsmanship a LOT of the adult guests have, and they all danced better than most people on the show. And just from a learning-ability standpoint, except the rare older female with a ton of helpful prior experience and who's in great shape (Kristi Yamaguchi being the best example) it's more pleasant to watch a younger, quicker learner who can act. Sure, the IDEAL situation is someone like Meryl, with the physical ability and the training in acting and projection who's a fit twentysomething, but how often is that going to be on?

I've clearly been dancing too long, too, since the notion of finding a teen dancing creepy is just silly to me. Heck, my favorite people to watch at some comps have been the little Latin kids because you've never seen "Serious Paso is SERIOUS" face until you've watched a little ten- or eleven-year-old boy do Paso. And of course must be nice to have joints that still all work...Teens, well, geez, Zendaya was old enough to dance in the adult age levels and Willow's only two years off that. And it's not like either of them was doing a Tara Lipinski (fifteen going on twelve look, not that that was Tara's fault when she was skating-she was naturally tiny and looked younger than she was.) Obviously DWTS is't going to bring on ten-year-olds (you think the labor laws are strict for teens.) But Willow could easily have contended for the win. At least she stayed longer than Suzanne or Charlotte--now THEY were uncomfortable to watch. I'd rather see Dancing With the Teen Stars than Tony forced to do therapy again and more models and celebutantes who can't dance and can't act, either.

Purr likes this.
  10. davedove

davedove Well-Known Member

Of course, the viewing audience isn't primarily composed of people with dance experience who are used to seeing teens dancing. Most of the audience sees "little girls dressed in skimpy outfits". I believe that's probably one factor for why Willow was voted off. Yeah, both Shawn and Zendaya made it to the finals, but for many people 16 is a decade older than 14 in their perception.

11. Mr 4 styles

I see DOI remembered charlottes name. My work here is done

12. sbrnsmith

There is a god- Riker stayed and the Bachelor is gone!

Purr, MaggieMoves and danceronice like this.
  13. danceronice

Yeah, as soon as they said Noah was safe I was like IF IT IS ANYONE BUT THE FARMER BOY...Also kudos to Robert for going out classy and out-quipping Tom.

Also....YAY DANCE CENTER!

Purr likes this.
  14. theAnnelis

theAnnelis Active Member

I saw this morning what Robert said! And Tom's -_- face! That was too good, totally developed a teensy crush on Robert this season. I am entirely too old to ever buy into showmances, but I totally ship Robert and Kym.

On the other hand, I think, for the most part, the right four made it to the semis. Sadly, I think we've reached the limit of what Noah can do, but I love seeing him and Sharna, plus she is a class act, so I'm not mad either way his story goes from this point. And my massive crush on Riker has me ecstatic that he's still dancing. I may stop splitting my votes between him and Nastia and just throw them all to him. And, going slightly off subject, even though I love Derek, I think Sasha actually partners Nastia better! Crazy.

sbrnsmith likes this.
  15. danceronice

I think Robert or Noah could have stayed for the fourth spot and it would have been the right decision, but Bachelor Farmer had overstayed his welcome by about three weeks. If Willow had made it through, then she, Riker, Nastia, and Rumer would have been the best top four.

And you're right. Nastia looks a lot more comfortable and confident with Sasha. So Derek should go rest his foot already.

theAnnelis likes this.
  16. sbrnsmith

I hope Kym and Robert are a couple, they are so cute together

theAnnelis likes this.
  17. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I wish Riker had a better pro. I love him but I almost want him to go so I don't have to watch Alison.

SadFace likes this.
  18. Mr 4 styles

DOI was probably screaming at the tv when it was chris or riker for the last spot.

19. danceronice

I only scream at the TV when watching something important (ie, horse racing or the Army/Navy game #GoNavyBeatArmy). But I was definitely on the FSU thread threatening to...write a strongly-worded letter or something. Seriously even Whitney wanted them to go home (and can you blame her.)

20. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

WOW. I think this was the best episode I've seen in a long time. I loved pretty much every moment.