Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 20

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by sbrnsmith, Feb 11, 2015.

1. FoxTrotExtrovert

FoxTrotExtrovert Active Member

Am I the only one unimpressed with the line-up this season? My money is on Suzanne Sommers coming out with some kind of dancewear on HSN after her stint is up. :rolleyes:

2. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Ok, I know this is a strong reaction. But I'm just a little sickened by the absolute, overwhelming predictability of the pairings this year:

Noah Galloway with Sharna Burgess
    Robert Herjavec with Kym Johnson
    Patti LaBelle with Artem Chigvintsev
    Nastia Liukin with Derek Hough
    Riker Lynch with Allison Holker
    Charlotte McKinney with Keo Motsepe
    RedFoo with Emma Slater
    Michael Sam with Peta Murgatroyd
    Willow Shields with Mark Ballas
    Suzanne Somers with Tony Dovolani
    Rumer Willis with Valentin Chmerkovskiy

1) Derek is back. And paired with a young, energetic gymnast
    2) Tony is paired with the "older woman"
    3) Mark is paired with the younger girl
    4) Val is paired with someone dark/mildly mysterious/somewhat sexy
    5) Emma is paired with the "comedian" of the season

I, for one, will be placing most of my "character" support behind Noah Galloway, the Iraq war veteran.

I just.............sigh...................

https://gma.yahoo.com/dancing-stars...ty-cast-announced-133111388--abc-news-tv.html

IndyLady likes this.
  3. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Yeah. Derek and Nastia? Should we just go ahead and award the mirror ball trophy now?

4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Just once, Derek deserves the person Tony would normally get.

5. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

She could move with the grace of Lolo Jones... Remember that disaster?

Met him personally on more than a few occasions, and I'm not sure why he gets the short end of the stick. He does seem to be a bit of a pushover at times though which may be enough of a reason.

6. FoxTrotExtrovert

I would like to see what Derek could do with Suzanne Sommers or Patti LaBelle.

And I see magazines are already talking up a romance between Rumer and Val. Can't wait to be put through that all season long....:rolleyes:

7. MaggieMoves

Riker Lynch was on SYTYCD... and I see who he's partnered with. That actually may be an interesting combination. Hopefully they can do ballroom.

8. davedove

davedove Well-Known Member

I don't think they've done this before, but they are doing live feeds of some of the rehearsal times. They were running some of Emma and Redfoo this afternoon.

9. bia

bia Well-Known Member

No such luck. You can like gymnastics choreography or not, but grace is clearly something she's got.

Purr, debmc and MaggieMoves like this.
  10. MaggieMoves

I think I might be rooting for Suzanne Summers and Tony now... That's kind of B.S.

Don't most of the fans love Derek though? I hate to say it, but if it means ratings to keep him on the show, the producers are going to pair him up with someone who has the potential to be good.

11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Fans do, but the segment that is a little tired of Derek and the Ringer Show seems to be growing. Over on FSU the reaction that "oops, Derek IS back after all" is mostly "I like Derek but eh" to "I was promised a Derek-free season and I feel deceived" and "OF COURSE he gets Nastia." At this point it's not even fair to his partner because she immediately gets dubbed the ringer.

12. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

To be fair, that would happen to an ex-Olympian in a performing sport (e.g. Ice Dancing, Figure Skating, Gymnastics) regardless...she just gets extra ringer status being with Derek.

On a tongue-in-cheek level, I wonder how Nastia feels about getting Shawn Johnson's sloppy seconds. :p

dancelvr and danceronice like this.
  13. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

um mark ballas had shawn in the real season .... derek got her for the all star season

nastia for the win.........

but the happiest guy on the show will be..........Keo

GJB and FoxTrotExtrovert like this.
  14. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I remain amused by the pearl-clutching I read in other places about younger contestants. A 14-year old dancing Latin? Oh noes! How wildly inappropriate!

I'd hate to see these people's reactions to actual open level junior Latin dancers.

Lioness, MyssMyst, Sania and 2 others like this.
  15. FoxTrotExtrovert

I
    I'm sooo rooting for Noah! Vet with one arm and one leg? I'm in!

16. MaggieMoves

Forgot about him! I really hope he does as well as Amy Purdy did. People like the two of them are just purely inspirational.

17. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Yes....though of course we will have to suffer through the endless sound bites where they claim how different ballroom is from her floor dance gymnastics, and how hard she has to work to 'unlearn' her habits from gymnastics, etc, etc....

That's the worst part for me to watch. I just wish one of the stars would have the courage to say 'yes, the fact that I was a gymnast/ ice dancer/ ballet dancer/ Broadway performer etc, etc, does give me an advantage here...

18. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Going from the way he writes about the show on FB sometimes, I think Louis has burned his bridges.

ETA: For some crazy, stupid, nonexistent reason, I really wanted to write "burned his breeches"...oops, I just did...

19. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Any speculation on who the mystery contestant will be? Some sites are claiming it will be The Bachelor Chris Soules

20. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

it is .......ill bet the farm on it