Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 20

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by sbrnsmith, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I found Julianne's comment about frame in fox trot to be illuminating. Technique. It can be different in every dance.
    What I found to be quite bad in the AT was an almost complete absence of technique that makes AT, even the performance type that is danced on the show, AT.

In this particular instance, it has nothing to do with how old the "star" is. I suppose the fault here lies with Mark for not understanding what distinguishes "AT" from other forms of tango. Adding insult to injury, the judges once again showed their lack of understanding of the dance with their complements and very very generous marks.

2. kckc

kckc Active Member

Good, I didn't imagine that part! I thought there was a lack of technique or posture or something, and I know absolutely nothing about AT!

3. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Huh, I had to google him to see it was (dsinfo spelled his first name wrong, it's Riker with an I.)

I think more interesting is on Wikipedia the list of Riker's relatives--siblings Ross, Rydel, Rocky, and Ryland, and their second cousins, Derek and Julianne Hough. I missed episode one, did they mention THAT part?

And not to be mean, but I wouldn't guess that he'd competed in dancesport. Clearly he decided singing was his forte.

5. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

They did mention his relation to the Houghs in the first episode.

IndyLady likes this.
  6. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Exactly...if they hadn't, it would have just been a giant elephant in the room/worst kept secret ever and people might have gotten pissy about it.

Speaking of secrets...HOW SWEET was it that they kept the secret of Noah's girlfriend coming to surprise him after he performed? I am a huge sucker for surprise "soldier coming home" moments.

7. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Thank you. And please let's forget that Suzanne Somers is 68. Best way to erase that realization from your mind is to repeat over and over that she is 68.

flightco likes this.
  8. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

WHAT is Julianne wearing? She's a beautiful girl, she doesn't need to try so hard.

slhull.13, nikkitta and danceronice like this.
  9. danceronice

Kym: "I don't know what kind of wedding this would be..." Even Kym is like 'stop trying so hard with the showmance, show.'

10. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Poor Keo

11. danceronice

Not sorry she's gone, though.

12. davedove

davedove Active Member

I do feel sorry for Keo though. It would be nice to see what he could do.

The last two were who I thought should be in danger. Chris should go soon.

slhull.13 likes this.
  13. slhull.13

slhull.13 Active Member

Was it just me, or was there a lot of off-screen "beef" going on?

Example: CAI and Tony
    All the judges and Charlotte (and did anyone catch what Bruno said?)
    Julianne and that odd "androgenous" comment towards Allison/Riker

Looks like the gloves came off any people were saying whatever they wanted! (it was uncomfortable more than a few times! Hilarious, though...)

14. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I thought Riker was overscored; Allison looked out of control, but I can't blame him for that. She seems to be trying too hard. CAI's comment about androgeny was interesting given that Allison's dancing generally looks way too forceful (manly, if you will). No idea who he is, but I like him. Wish he had a different partner, like maybe Witney.

Suzanne was underscored; however, I agree that the routines need more "depth". She can dance well enough that the silly themes aren't necessary. When I saw that fruit hat, I cringed. Thankfully there was some actual Samba in that routine. The buttfeathers were overwhelming. Dial it down, Tony.

Willow I'MFOURTEEN was overscored. She's FOURTEEN. OMG. FOURTEEN. Shut up. Is she good? Yeah. Is she *that* good? No.

Maybe texting-Barbie doll (name escapes me) would have improved, but there sure as heck was no Rumba in that Rumba. Poor Keo indeed. Do dyslexic people really not know their right from their left foot? I'm genuinely curious.

I forget the name of the guy with Peta too, but he still does not look comfortable out there. Needs to shake off the nerves or whatever is going on. It would make a huge difference.

At this point, cannot wait for the switch-up.

15. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Thumbs up for Sharna's Argentine Tango. She actually knows how a gancho is supposed to work, and one in particular was well timed to accent something in the music. She also did the 'leg scissors' performance type move extremely well.

Thumbs down for Witney's AT. You have to be a gaucho for this? Not so much.

theAnnelis and slhull.13 like this.
  16. kckc

kckc Active Member

LOL I've been waiting for the filters between their brains and their mouths to completely break down and I think it finally happened last night.

Bruno said, and I quote: “You’re never going to win the Nobel prize for quantum physics, but you are easy on the eyes and you produce wonderful shapes.” Kind of a strange way to say "your talents lie elsewhere" but there you go.

Speaking of strange ways to say things, Julianne and her "androgynous" comment was... interesting.... because Alison does come across as a force of nature instead of the more feminine half of the duo. I shall say no more lest I get drug into that other thread!

Oh, and Go Tony! I don't mind CAI usually but for goodness sake, I couldn't decipher the gibberish either.

slhull.13 likes this.
  17. danceronice

I get that Charlotte does not strike me or anyone as a future MENSA member, but Bruno? Brain trust is not what springs to mind when I think of you, either....

The producers probably just reminded Tony and Carrie Anne they haven't been playing up their 'feud' lately.

18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Nastia vr Rumer rest is noise. Charlotte Mckinney charlotte Mckinney charlotte Mckinney for those that can't remember. Michael sam with peta.

Bruno better watch it. This is the only gig he could ever get

19. danceronice

Don't need to remember her name now, she's gone.

SadFace, IndyLady and nikkitta like this.
  20. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

Hilarious!!!!