Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 21

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by sbrnsmith, Aug 19, 2015.

1. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Blog found.
    Blog read.
    Interesting blog.

Charlotte Jorgensen used to be on this show right?

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

First season only.

3. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I'm in love with Alek Skarlatos.

Also, poor Tony

nikkitta likes this.
  4. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

The fangirl inside of me was screaming a bit for Nick Carter (and I especially love Sharna), but I really liked Alek's dance... he almost looked at home out there. I'm not sure how well he'll do in the more difficult dances/routines though.

5. MaggieMoves

He is really cute. :)

6. sbrnsmith

Why does Tony ALWAYs get stuck with the duds?

7. sbrnsmith

Also, after seeing Sharna tonite, I really want that red hair!

8. Generalist

Generalist Active Member

The show has shifted it's emphasis to something that looks like jazz dancing. SYTYCD pulls this off better because there is less pretense about what their dances are about.

It's sad that the producers don't think partner dancing can work for their ratings anymore. They also seem to think that 2 people on a stage dancing by themselves isn't enough.

Sad!

9. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Meh.

Although Alex Skarlatos did well enough that it had me wishing for DWTS to do a non-celebrity season. I mean, I know it won't happen, but it would be fun.

10. anntennis

anntennis Active Member

Married couple Carlos and Alexa PenaVega on DWTs – marketing tool.

Do not like it. I think it is a bad taste to call for “ friendly competition”.

I saw a few couples split or got really on bad terms because of the “ friendly” game of tennis before.

11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Nick and sharna bindi and Derek. Alex and Lyndsay. Rest are cannon fodder. Tony got Melissa rycroft soooooo....

Mengu and theAnnelis like this.
  12. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Tony got one contender/lock. One.

13. islandia55

islandia55 New Member

Oops, goofed... please remove this post

14. islandia55

islandia55 New Member

Having 90 seconds to impress the judges was a premise of DWTS Season 1. By Season 4 that fell by the wayside. On this forum, in 2007, I started a thread titled “Where’s the Beef?” I posted routine times (measured from start to stop of music) since Season 1 to show how dramatically the dance routine lengths were shrinking like the beef patty in the Wendy’s commercial.

http://dance-forums.com/threads/where’s-the-beef.17770/

The chart image in that post is no longer available. But this comparison illustrates the point. The dancers had to perform two routines in week 7 of Seasons 2 and 4. Here are the top routine lengths of these two weeks.

Season 2 – Week 7
    Drew Lachey 1:43 1:54
    Stacy Keibler 1:45 1:45
    Lisa Rinna 1:46 1:46

Season 4 – Week 7
    Laila Ali 1:09 1:09
    Apolo Ohno 1:12 1:09
    Joey Fatone 1:09 1:07
    John Ratzenberger 1:15 1:14 (Guess John couldn't move as fast as the others)

It was not until season 19 that I started timing the dances again. Watching the NASCAR driver Michael Waltrip, I was stunned when his dance ended just when it should have been shifting into a higher gear for the final lap. His routine was only 0:49 seconds! Other routines that week were in the 0:55 to 1:05 second range. During a move this summer, I misplaced the papers with all the other times I had recorded. But I do recall there were a couple of routines in Season 19 and 20 that approached 1:40 must most were closer to 1:15.

I had that stunned feeling again on the Season 21 opener when Victor Espinoza put in a grueling 0:47 seconds. And it’s no wonder that Andy Grammer was a puddle of sweat after 0:49 seconds. The longest routine of the evening was 1:01 put in by Kim Zolciak-Biermann although her performance seemed minutes longer. Since there is usually an obligatory 10 to 15 seconds of posing and prancing before actual dance steps begin, if at all, modern-day DWTS contestants may have to learn only 30 to 40 seconds of actual dance.

Last year, curiosity led me to YouTube to see recent seasons of Strictly Come Dancing and DWTS Australia. Of about 20 routines timed, all were in the 1:25 to 1:35 second range. It seems they have remained true to the format and still have successful shows after several seasons.

I know it’s not really a dance show but still find it perplexing that ABC can’t squeeze 20 minutes of dancing into 88 minutes of airtime. That's how this country boy sees it.

15. MaggieMoves

It is a bit ridiculous how little dancing content it is at times... but it is week one. I guess maybe as the show goes on we'll see more with longer routines. Gary and Anna's routine was 45-47 seconds, depending on when you start counting. Nick and Sharna's was around 55 seconds... so considerably longer.

16. sbrnsmith

The routines do seem to be getting shorter...I recall Len always calling them out on fluff and posing, in place of actual dancing. It seems to be the direction the show is headed- entertainment and mass appeal, possibly compromise on dancing as such

17. islandia55

islandia55 New Member

Routines I timed on week 1 of Strictly Come Dancing and DWTS Australia were in the 85-95 second range compared to the current 47 to 60 seconds for the US version. Obviously, the philosophies and objectives are quite different. SCD and DWTS Australia are about dance and the ABC version is about something I don't comprehend any longer. They certainly won't have to shoot any horses.:)

18. MaggieMoves

To be fair, some pros at some comps will "swim" for a good 30 seconds before actually moving. But I agree with this point entirely. The fluff should be minimized. I think most of his comments were quelled in the last season though, or he realized that he was fighting an uphill battle.

It's really more about the drama than the dancing, especially with a 5 minute segment and less than a minute of that is actual dancing. I'll be honest in some sort of sick way I enjoy the people that crash and burn as much as the people that perform well.

19. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Ditto that Maggie. I watched the two hour premiere in under 20 minutes just watching the dances. Heck the fast forwarding was half the time

MaggieMoves likes this.
  20. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

There are really a lot of virtues to just watches the dances on youtube.

MaggieMoves and IndyLady like this.