Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS Season 25

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by davedove, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

I think it's cooooooooollll

2. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Well, some of us are sticking with SYTYCD through tonight. After their finale I'll be watching DWTS.
    Far as graphing things... I'm going through all the Dean Collins performances I have found, and creating a database with what moves he did in each, but... I'm not even going to try to deny the nerdiness of that!

3. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Is Kiki still dancing?

4. Steve Pastor

Regarding Lindsey... Her thing from the very beginning (meaning her appearances on America's Got Talent) has been playing the violin and dancing at the same time. See how many videos she's done by typing her name on YouTube. And, she's done two videos with Derek.
    She's just had an awful lot of experience as a dancer / performer.
    There's been a lot more drama over professional athlete behavior these days.

5. Steve Pastor

I'm SO bad with names, so I had to check... Yes, ballroom dancer Kiki is in the final four. His non ballroom stuff has gotten really good. The judges were laughing along with him about how bad he was at some styles during the "Academy" days.

6. Mr 4 styles

Lex wins. Kiki fourth

7. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Love this chart, this is outstanding (I think the happy hormones in my brain are automatically released when I see Excel output. Mostly).

In the opposite spirit of "keep your mouth shut and people will think you are a fool, open it and remove all doubt", I'm going to make a prediction about the order of eliminations. I haven't included any surprise "makes no sense" eliminations, so that will be wrong from the get-go, and a couple placements may be more reflective of my hopes than of reality.

1. Terrell
    2. Frankie
    3. Nick
    4. Drew
    5. Derek
    6. Sasha
    7. Victoria
    8. Nikki
    9. Vanessa
    Runner up - Lindsey
    Winner - Jordan

MaggieMoves likes this.
  8. MaggieMoves

After this? I think Frankie is here to stay for longer. He's certainly becoming a "crowd favorite." I'd keep your list the same, but probably move Frankie in between Sasha & Victoria or Victoria & Nikki. Unless he really messes up... (possible)

Who knows though? It's tough to see how people will vote. I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan or Lindsey face backlash for their "dance experience" either.

9. davedove

davedove Well-Known Member

I'm really starting to like Frankie. Is he the best dancer - no. However, it seems he is putting the work in, he really seems to be enjoying himself, and he is very likeable. That will help him considerably with the voters.

Borazine likes this.
  10. IndyLady

FWIW, I made those predictions before I had watched Latin night on my DVR. I'm too lazy to re-org the list though, so we'll see how super badly I am wrong. :D

A couple people made noticeable improvements last night IMO, Drew and .... argh now I'm brain-freezing. Some of the choreo was kind of amateur though, I didn't care for Derek's dance (mostly b/c it seemed like they were failing to keep up with the music, which DH said sounded sped up from the actual track) and Gleb/Sasha's routine was frankly pathetic from a choreo standpoint, there was hardly any dance content. Disappointing since I like Sasha. I have to say I didn't care for Artem/Nikki's routine - 50 Shades is just not my thing and after about the fourth neck grab I was like, ok, enough.

Also, there has been an assertion that Maks' "personal issue" is a personality clash with Vanessa. I guess we'll find out in the weeks to come.

http://people.com/tv/maks-chmerkovskiy-vanessa-lachey-feud-dwts/

11. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I'm a bit behind...but I'm seriously wondering how Bruno scored Frankie's cha cha higher than Jordan's samba.

12. MaggieMoves

Normalization of scores... that's really about it. They're all relative to other dances performed of the night.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  13. MaggieMoves

Anyone watching tonight? Or does practice take precedence?

14. Mr 4 styles

Did both myself.

15. MaggieMoves

Same... by the time I tuned in, I saw Maks leading a very stiff rumba which somehow got 8's.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  16. Mr 4 styles

Yeah Vanessa’s hips were tight. Surprised

17. IndyLady

The rumba was a refreshing change after the million contemporaries and Viennese waltzes (I love v waltz, but I also prefer variety) in spite of its imperfection. I have to admit I teared up at some of it - esp the ending moment in Mark/Linsdey's routine where he was in shadow behind the screen, that was a powerful image.

I need to come up with some sort of scoring system to measure how wrong my predicitons are. Maybe sum[abs(actual placement minus predicted placement)]/# contestants.

18. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

My eyes are bleeding after watching the so-called Quickstep for Vanessa and Maks. How are they getting away with this? Breaking hold in the middle of routine- terrible frame and posture and no connection in their bodies. I’m no expert but that Quickstep did not deserve 9s.

AHCook, IndyLady and MaggieMoves like this.
  19. MaggieMoves

That quickstep didn't even deserve 7's to be honest... o_O It was just sloppy.

It just goes to show the blatant favoritism that happens on the show.

AHCook, IndyLady and Mr 4 styles like this.
  20. AHCook

AHCook New Member

OMG, so glad I'm not the only one! All of the non-dancers I talk to love her, but I don't think she is that good =/

sbrnsmith, IndyLady and MaggieMoves like this.