Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS - Week 10 - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Bradamant, Nov 11, 2006.

1. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

What????? Since when???? My life is crushed! ;)

2. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I think that maybe in the future the celebrities need to be taken to a real live dance competition somewhere and it doesn't have to be a big event just to see that they aren't doing anything like what the real dancers do to make their egos come down just a tad bit there. They did that with the Slim Fast girl, and it seemed to really inspire her. So, why not with celebrities too?

3. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Not to mention that it would be good publicity for the comp . . .

4. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

You're right...but we *so* want to believe!

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hey. Captain Kangaroo was real (God bless him.) And so was Mister Green Jeans. :wink: :lol:

And DWTS? Well ...

You shoulda heard my colleagues at work today. Totally dance-clueless people who were LOVIN it! At least partially because of Emmitt, I admit. This is Texas. But they partially loved it because of the dancing, from what I heard. And you can't beat that, IMO. :)

6. Tineedancer

Tineedancer New Member

Ok maybe I've gone to far with The Captain. Yes, I agree about the Slimfast girl. It is a great show for everyone and to be thirty percent or so Ballroom that makes it all the better.

7. anp73ga31

anp73ga31 Active Member

Agreed. I also agree with the poster who said they should take the stars to see a real dance competition. They hear everyone (non-dancers) saying how great they are doing and how they look "professional" to where they actually start believing that they are as good as the pros. For example, Mario is a great dancer and all, but he hardly ever took a heel lead and for that alone he'd be crucified in a real dance competition! Judges look at your feet(or the ones at the comps I been to do) and his feet left alot to be desired. World-class...ha ha! That's just too funny. (oh and so I'm not just picking on Mario, Emmitt the last couple of weeks had that same look on his face that Harry Hamlin wore earlier in the season whenever the judges criticized anything he did; it was like, "what? you didn't like what I did? but I did great!") I love the show, but its irritating to think any of those stars even remotely think their quality of dancing in any way equals Victor and Anna, or Nick and Lena, or Louis and Karina. There is no way!

Speaking of which, and this is soooo OT: my instructor said the other day that he would rather go to the dwts tour show than Ohio Star Ball (finding out he apparently doesn't like competitions). *insert sound of hopes being crushed here* I personally think there is something wrong with him. :D

8. reb

reb Active Member

At Ohio Star Ball today, where most of the top pros, judges, and competitors are this weekend, an E. Smith football jersey was worn by an individual who became a big hit. It was easy to spot among tailsuit, ballgowns. formal wear, and latin outfits.

9. Bradamant

Bradamant Member

I'm embarrassed to ask, but . . .Seriously? 'Cause that would be kind of cool. Who was it?

10. love2swing

love2swing New Member

I will admit that I wanted Mario to win, but after reading and hearing his comments the last few days, I'm overjoyed to have Emmitt as the champ. (And not to mention Cheryl-- what a classy lady!).

HE is the true gentleman in this competition.

11. Beto

Beto Active Member

Speaking of Mario, yet another "I'm a better dancer" article.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11172006/tv/im_a_better_dancer__mario_tv_michael_starr.htm

It goes without saying that I'm beyond happy that Cheryl won again. She's done such an incredible job of coaching people and choreographing to their strengths it's no wonder she's won twice now.

12. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I don't know if anyone remembers, but Kelly Monaco did the same thing that Mario has done after she won, but I'm sure she was thinking that she was the greatest dancer ever after being show too. I'm glad it's a good confidence booster, but the show needs to put some reality into the celebrities, and that's why I mentioned that I think it would be a good idea to take them to real live competitions somewhere, because they would know better and probably even respect the Ballroom world more. However, I don't want the celebrities to get frustrated in not doing the show after seeing a competition, because it takes a good long time to get to where people like Louis and them are. I think that the show has done a lot of good for dancing, and the celebrities careers for them to complain at all actually.

13. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Well. I don't think it was offending or cocky. I mean, come on. DWTS isn't just about the dancing. Never was. It's about fan bases, putting on a good show, lots of behind-the-scenes gossip, etc. Like in a singers reality show, being the best doesn't mean you'll win.
    I think Emmitt came a LONG way from knowing nothing to doing all that. And Cheryl did a great job. So I think it was good that he won since he clearly worked hard. But Mario was very good as well, and he could have easily won. I don't think Emmitt is the better dancer. But he came really close, so the fans and whole "from football player to dancer" thing made him the champion.

T_E

14. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Yeah, what she said. It wasn't about who was the best dancer. It was a popularity campaign. Mario has every right to be proud of what he accomplished, and disappointed in the final result. I'm not saying Emmitt wasn't deserving of the win, but he didn't earn it by being the best dancer. At any rate, I think it's nearly impossible to have a completely level playing field in these sorts of "contests". In the end, it's all just boob tube fodder, and we were fortunate enough to have seen some really great dancing in this series. I still watch the performance clips and go "Whoa :shock:" (TM Joey Lawrence).

15. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well, it depends on what you think meaning of the best dancer should be. Mario made many mistakes while he was dancing, but so did everyone else. Therefore, Mario wasn't really the best dancer, because he made just as many mistakes if not more with the illegal moves. To me therefore, the term best dancer would best be suited to a professional. The term most improved dancer should be suited to the celebrities. In other words, I would never call myself the best dancer, because I haven't earned that title, and neither has any of the celebrities, but I would say I have vastly improved. But it wasn't even a true dancing compeitition, and that's what Mario and the public needs to realize.

16. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

Well, all issues about what the competition was "really" about aside, to go around doing intervews saying "I'm better than him, and if people had voted like they should have, I would have won." is just poor form.

17. redhead

redhead New Member

ya know... most didn't become "celebrities" by being humble or working as a team, so it's not like anyone can change that. So I don't even get upset with what Mario said. To him the world might as well revolve around him. Emmett on the other hand played team sport, so he's more easygoing.

18. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

You made a very good point, and one that I hadn't thought of yet. Jerry Rice was the same way, and that's probably why. ;)

19. kayak

kayak Active Member

I need a new job! These guys each spent a whole hour on TV blathering about how hard they worked. So the combined practice time of the top two was 360ish hours or about 180 hours each over four months. Some of them my office mentioned that the celebrity each got around $250,000 and that is a comfy $1,400/hr that they got paid to practice with world class dance teachers. Plus, if you figure the average American works 50 hours a week, they put in less than 1/4 time .... I better send in my resume.

20. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

Actually That's Right. That IS an excellent point. I see Emmitt now in interviews giving a quick praise to Mario and being gracious like he would a team member and Mario is praising himself.

You know. Mario boxes in the ring right? Then He should know that light weights are paired with light weights, middle weighs with middle weights and so forth. They don't pair light weights with heavy weights in the boxing ring. Do they? Why would he go on a dance show with light weights since he considers himself such a dancing heavy weight in the first place?

And I used to like Mario but yuck, those comments show me that self centeredness that you're talking about, redhead.