Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS - Week 10 - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Bradamant, Nov 11, 2006.

1. love2swing

love2swing New Member

Heh. That is a good point. But a lot of the celebrities also are working other jobs while doing DWTS, so, who knows how many hours they actually log combined with all their other responsibilities. And I think the number was something more than 360 wasn't it? My brain is telling me I heard 600...?

2. reb

reb Active Member

Mario's probably a great guy away from the spotlights, among friends, but the tv lights have a corrupting influence where people's worst (or best) can show through.

Emmitt conducted himself well in every interview from the beginning . . . but the contrast in the character of these two is apparent and accentuated by the background that Mario came from privilege (arts school and child 'star') and spends time training as many guys of privilege would by 'boxing' while Emmitt made himself one of the the greatest in his field of endeavor and will be in the Hall of Fame as a young man in 2010. There is no comparison. If in doubt, put the two in another contest - any other contest (except number of fellow celebrity friends).

Not bagging on Mario, but each person is responsible for their words and actions, and the wise competitor prepared for how to conduct themselves if they lose - and I know by Emmitt's carriage, that he paid attention to that important aspect of competing - and winning!

3. Bradamant

Bradamant Member

Well, I don't know. Proper behavior and good sportsmanship was literally drilled into me when I was 6-8 years old. I think it is a pro-social strategy that is a universal human phenomenon. Just because that 8 year old grows up to be a celebrity doesn't mean he would forget what he learned when young. Besides, entertainment is very much a team effort.

I write plays and the actors who perform them are very aware that they play a small role in bringing the words to life. You've got the text, the actors, the director, the crew, and the audience.

What Mario is doing with his whining is insulting the audience (dumb) and insulting Cheryl and Emmitt. I don't think Emmitt cares all that much for himself, but I would imagine he's getting a little irate on Cheryl's behalf. Don't mess with little bull.

Mario just isn't too bright. This was an opportunity to reinvigorate his career and make a good impression. He's squandering the opportunity.

4. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

I totally agree.

You don't see any "A-list" celebrities talking like he is after awards shows, do you? Being a celebrity is not an excuse.

Maybe there's a reason he never got far in his career . . . he's not even enough of an actor to act like a good sport.

5. reb

reb Active Member

:uplaugh: That's gotta be the quote of the week!

6. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

That's very true too. I have never thought highly of Mario and he was my era, but after watching an episode recently of the old Saved By The Bell, all the episode talked about was how great his character was and how all of the women loved him etc. I think that maybe being a child star hasn't helped Mario grow up any, because I think that he adapted his acting role that he had played into his everyday life now that he's an adult. Joey Lawrence was that way too when he was younger, but Joey has since grown up. Although, maybe having a family has helped Joey. Either way it's interesting to see how these two young men have grown up to be like. I never would have pictured Joey the way he is today, but Mario I have always pictured to be the same and he is.

7. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

You hit the nail on the head there.
    If he doesn't shut his mouth and be gracious, he's going to blow it.

Not to get off the subject but a friend of mine has asked if Louis Van Amstel has a studio in NYC? She didn't come up with an answer in a Google so maybe he doesn't. Does anyone know otherwise?

8. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

No he does not. He only has one studio in California that he opened up with his business partner Lisa Rhinna. I hope they make it into a franchise, but we'll see if that happens. ;)

9. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

Thanks, I'll let her know that! [​IMG]
    I'm sure all the pros on DwtS are getting calls for lessons
    where ever they are but are very busy.

10. LMWBrooklyn

LMWBrooklyn New Member

Couple comments from an Emmitt fan:

Mario's not that big of a celebrity. I don't believe celebrities can be pigeon holed. An awful lot are raging ego cases but some have actually just put their heads down, persevered and focused until they made it. Like many here, I've been around a few and I'd call it split between the two types. Sometimes the first type masquerades as the second type, but truly, the second type does exist.

I came to really admire Emmitt's dancing. Especially his mambo and his waltz. Then his rumba. When I saw those, and could distinguish specific dance-centric technique and not just there's Emmitt doing his Emmitt thing - I was incredibly impressed.

I am quite surprised at the level of immaturity we're seeing from Karina. This is a very accomplished dancer I'd expect to see handle herself publicly a la Louis von Amstel. The closest Louis has come to the final is final four. The professional dance partners who won in Season 1 and Season 2 have not come near his level of achievement as a dancer - especially in Season 2. (Season 1 had Charlotte in the finals). Louis knows those considerations are irrelevant in DWTs.

11. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

Yeah, he's been on DwtS for 3 seasons now without a win but you haven't heard a negative peep out of him in that respect?

Speaking of considerations....you have to wonder why they didn't say by how many votes Emmitt won. Not that it matters but they usually tell us that, don't they?

12. alemana

alemana New Member

13. Bradamant

Bradamant Member

Quick note before I run off to dance . . .

No, to the best of my recollection, they never tell us the totals. It is my belief that Emmitt won by a landslide - in the neighborhood of 60 percent of the vote. Just based on ALL the polls I'm reading on the internet.

I don't think there will be a dance off. The new season is slated to begin in march and the tour is running for the next few months. Besides, I think ABC learned their lesson the last time. The first, and dare I say last, rematch went over like a lead balloon.

14. alemana

alemana New Member

yeah i feel the same. the first tour date is fast approaching.

15. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

That's what I thought....that it was landslide and yeah I hope they don't do a dance-off because at that point it would just be silly.

16. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

I hope they don't have a dance off. As far as I'm concerned, Emmitt won it fair and square.

Paula

17. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

There is no reason for a dance off. Season one was different for a lot of reasons, but DWTS was just getting off the ground then and it's since has gotten a lot better. I think that they will stick with Emmitt, and Mario will just have to grow up and accept that he lost like how a mature adult would do.

18. LMWBrooklyn

LMWBrooklyn New Member

One thing that truly rankles is a mantra I read that Emmitt's charm and charisma trumped Mario's superior dancing. I must have dreamt that Mario was a stunningly handsome, dimpled hunk that had message boards and audience members drooling on themselves. How did those assets get taken out of the discussion? If he were a male built more along the lines of Monique Coleman, maybe he would have been rewarded and penalized along the lines of Monique Coleman, because there were an awful lot of fake-outs, dubious ballroom technique, off balance sequences and missteps in Mario's performances. Mario's assets took him just as far as his dancing took him.

I hope the tour is a stunning success. I don't want to attend unless I can get prime seats (floor side, at a table), and the games involved with that one are daunting, expense aside. But if it was a smash hit, ABC might decide to do a special, the way "Stars On Ice" used to do, and I can watch it from my couch.

19. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

[​IMG] Can anyone hear the missing words on the following video link below?:

Click on the link below.
    Scroll down and see the box where it saids "related videos"
    Click on 'Dancing' Emmitt Smith.

Listen towards the end of the interview when Tony Potts asks Cheryl and Emmitt about what Karina said.
    Tony Potts said, "You know I really don't want to start anything but "Karina said you ____________31st"
    To which Cheryl replies, "So what, Emmitt___________32nd"
    Emmitt shrugs as if to say so what.
    Then Tony Potts saids, She's behaving like a little schoolgirl. What's up with that?"
    Cheryl saids, "I know".

Can anyone hear that? Please fill in the blanks if you can because I couldn't hear it all. I think Tony Potts didn't hold the microphone close enough or maybe it's my computer.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/news/ah2660.shtml

-Also The interview with Cheryl and Emmitt after the win is on the video
    player when you open it. It's the 2nd thumbnail picture from the left
    -Also The video of Karina and Mario's interview (the cry) is on the video player. It's the third one from the left.
    -A few other Dwts videos are there too.

Can you tell that I don't care about TomKat's wedding? [​IMG]

20. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

It sounded like he said (Karina saying) "we got our 31st" and (Cheryl saying) "we got our 32nd". I'm assuming that has something to do with the scoring?