Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > DWTS - Week 9 - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by SPratt74, Nov 2, 2006.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

me too, a MUCH better dancer. What we admire about Emmiit is his personality, charm, work ethic, and yes, he is a very nice social dancer. You just can't compare the dance quality to Mario's, whom I find adorable but seems to annoy many of you. There is nothing anyone could find annoying about Emmit.

2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Thank you!

3. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

But if you compare them to Drew and Stacey last time around....she was the better dancer ... and managed to lose.

4. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

and that's a problem, she shouldn't have..

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

Ah yes, you are absolutely right, it is very similar, and that's why I think Emmit is going to win. I also think he has a numerically bigger fan base.

6. mamboqueen

Well, she has the consolation of knowing she was the better dancer...the funny thing is that Drew is so likeable, not many people seemed to be annoyed that he won (and his dancing was good, just not *as* good). But, Kelly Monaco drew a lot of ire from people when a lot of folks thought she was the lesser dancer. I'm just wondering if people generally find the male dancers more appealing/likeable.

And I'm sure Stacy is probably consoled by the fact that she is now noticed by a few million more people...and probably has some jobs lined up (although I hope she's not doing Ritz Cracker commercials for the rest of her life...!)

7. Angelo

Angelo Member

You could if you were a Washignton Redskins fan. (which I'm not)

8. alemana

alemana New Member

i don't get the sense at all that the CW is that stacy was 'the better dancer.'

and about Ashley in a bodysuit - isn't that the whole Mormon skinshowing issue?

9. little_mouse

little_mouse Member

I am - but I overlook it :) I don't know enough about dancing yet that the charm/style factor weighs heavily for me (and how many in the country are thinking/voting like that???)

10. Ralph

Ralph New Member

Are you saying that Cheryl is so much better than the other pros then? I love Cheryl, she's one of my vavourites, but she's definately not better than soem of the other pros. Louis, Maks and Kym are way better for instance.

11. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Maybe, but she'd be my choice to take a lesson from at the moment. She knows how to make whatever she's got (as a student) look good.

12. mamboqueen

Ehh..maybe I just buck the CW. I felt that Stacy was better from the get-go, mostly as a result of her dance background. She had nice lines, pointed toes, decent hip movement. Drew improved greatly from start to finish, but I still can't get the scrunched up shoulders out of my mind when I think of his dancing. His stong advantage, in my opinion, was Cheryl's killer choreography.

Which leads me to wonder....what the pros "goal" is with their celebrity. Do they want to bring out the best of their partner, or do they want to have us see how they dance as a couple. I think Cheryl does the former, and Karina the latter. But I think Karina's dancing is just so FAB, I hardly ever look at him. With C&E, I find myself looking at Emmitt a bit more.

Edit: An even though I'm a lover of the latin dances, I really would like to see some more smooth/standard pros, or at least ones who will go further into the competition.

13. alemana

alemana New Member

I didn't read that post that way at all - I thought she was saying that Cheryl might not win because the producers and fans might not want a repeat champion - which is a fair theory. And that Karina might think she has an edge for that very reason, which is true.

14. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

Good point, but what looks worse, a Latin dancer doing ballroom (especially waltz, their rise and fall is so stilted) or a ballroom dancer doing Latin (sorry Charlotte, whom I worship as a ballroom dancer, but the Latin made me uncomfortable)? I feel awful writing this as I would be happy to dance as well as a Pro's worst dance, I hope that is understood.

15. Any one noticed Karina's anti-social tendency? I noticed that in the last couple elimination rounds, everyone would say their good byes to the eliminated star and hug each other, but Karina didn't both of those times.

16. DancerForLife

DancerForLife Member

You know... watching DWTS makes me respect 10 and 9 dancers even more. Most of the pros look a bit 'off' in the 'other' style - even if they have danced both styles in the past, with probably the increased focus on either ballroom (standard/smooth) or latin (latin/rhythm) the 'other' style is not quite that strong. No matter how hard they try, all three of the ladies yesterday looked a bit strained to me dancing standard (all three are latin dancers, funny) - strange frames, crooked necks, less-than-adequate technique (did anyone notice Karina's toe leads in tango walks???).

For couples to look good in both styles is a great achievement - such as Gherman and Iveta, Eddie and Vika... Those are the two that come to mind out of the current competitive pool in the US. Internationally, Andrei Skufca and Katarina Venturini were at least semi-finalists in both standard and latin in Blackpool before they decided to focus on latin only, similar story with Marat and Alina. Not to mention our own Gary & Diana, who looked great in both standard and latin...

17. yanka

yanka New Member

Well, the difference is that most of the pros who concentrate in a style actually had at least some training in the other styles when they were younger. Charlotte, OTOH, went straight to standard dancer and didn't have an ounce of Latin training (AFAIK).

18. yanka

yanka New Member

YES! I couldn't quite tell since whenever they seemed to zoom in on her feet (second half of the dance), she was doing something that didn't look horribly wrong, but I think I started looking at her feet in the first place bc I subconsciously noticed the toe leads in the first half of the dance...

19. mamboqueen

Well, at least Mario followed with toe leads of his own :raisebro:

20. Another Elizabeth

Another Elizabeth Active Member

Joey's costume inspiration?

And from MSNBC, one of my favorite comments on the night: