Dancers Anonymous > Economic Casualties Club

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by waltzgirl, Nov 14, 2008.

1. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

So, am I the first DF-er to be slammed by the economic melt-down?

I was laid off from my job last week. The company is facing big budget cuts next year and my job was a newly created position when I took it earlier this year. It was handled pretty badly--just 3 days' notice, and right before the holidays when that wasn't really necessary for the company financially, just convenient for them. Not to mention the barely veiled threats when I protested the timing: "We had hoped we could speak well of you when this process was over." I'm over the shock now, but still facing a very tough situation. I may have to move to another state to mooch off family til I find another job, which I don't expect to be easy right now.

Hitherto unrecognized benefit of dance lesson contracts: having some paid-for lessons on the books so you don't have to abandon lessons at the same moment the rest of your life implodes.

2. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Very sorry to hear that WG. boss and his boss have both said that my job is safe. As long as company is around, that is... :/

3. Stagekat

Stagekat Member

Oh dear WG!
    I do hope things turn around for you soon!
    You are absolutely not the only one on DF to be affected by the Economic situation. *hugs*
    I've been affected by the economic climate, but not in the same way.

And I'm in agreement about the contract thing... that is one of the benefits. :p

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

WG, I was laid off six weeks ago today. Although the company expressed sincere regret (their getting hit hard required a significant workforce reduction, and I was the highest in my pay-grade so certainly on the chopping block), I was given no notice -- walked out the door 30 minutes later after necessary paperwork was signed.

I have viewed this change as an opportunity to take my life in a new direction. I know it can be frightening, but it's also possible to take charge of the situation and make decisions about what direction you want your life to go. If you love the industry you're in, then start visualizing what sort of opportunity you want next, making it so real you can *feel* what it's like to work there. And if you *don't* like what you were doing, you have the perfect incentive now to make the change that will make you feel happy & fulfilled!

Feel free to PM me if you want...I would be happy to help you gather some energy & confidence to move forward. I know very well what it's like to feel like you're hanging without anything to support you, as have been there many times in my life. The beauty is...there *is* support underneath, if you choose to invoke your awareness of it. You can make some pretty cool & amazing things happen in a short time when you do that. :)

*big hug*

It's going to be okay.

5. hustleNflow

hustleNflow New Member

I feel for you, waltzgirl. I was laid off from my job at a financial firm in mid-September, basically the day after the stock market took the first big plunge. I was only given about an hour and a half notice that I was going to be out of a job! Since I was hired through a temp agency, my employer couldn't tell me directly that I was laid off (even though her desk was 5 feet away from mine) - she had to call my advisor at the agency, tell her I was laid off, and then she in turn called me to let me know that as of 5 pm that day (it was already 3:30) I would no longer be working there. And what stunk was that I was just about to sign a contract (as in the next day) at my dance studio so I could ensure I would be dancing for at least the next 5 months. Luckily, my temp agency found me a new job almost immediatly, and now I am on contract at my studio. But keep you chin up, waltzgirl - I know times are tough, but keeping a positive attitude is what got me through the layoff in one piece :D

6. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Budget cuts have hit the campuses I work at as well. Won't be back to teach at one campus next semester, and had to fight to maintain my class load at the other. :?

7. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

feel so sorry for all the Dfers got laid off. It's tough for being in the financial field:( wish things turn around for you guys first:) big hug

8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

That goes for me too, waltzgirl. PM me anytime.

9. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

waltzgirl and samina--Sorry to hear about your job losses, but HOPE that something even better is around the corner. Samina, you have a great attitude. You need to bottle that positive mental energy and ship it around the country!

I have tenure, so my entire institution would have to go under for me to lose my job. (I could also lose my job by committing a felony or non-performance, but I'm going to try to avoid that.) Yet that does not mean I am not affected at all. My institution is definitely affected, big time. We're a private college, and tuition/room/board is between 35-40K/year. There is wide-spread concern about yield for next year (number of students who will say yes to our offers of admission) and belt-tightening all around the institution.

10. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

As of yesterday's mail, two of the faculty searches to which I had applied for next year have been canceled by their institutions due to lack of funds. :?

11. DanceSveta

DanceSveta New Member

They laid off 10 people in my company. This is not good before the holidays. No money, no dancing.

12. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear about this, WG. Keep the faith. Something even better coming your way.

13. Yanou

Yanou Member

I feel for you WG and Samina. This is a difficult time for almost all of us because the economy is hitting us all. I had a scare last weekend because one of my coworkers believed that there would be lay-offs the following week. After having heard what she said, I was 99% certain there would be some re-org the next week. So, I spent last weekend evaluating the situation I was in. It turned out nothing happened, but I won't be surprised if some positions get cut in the near future.

This is an economic cycle and we are almost at the lowest end, so the economy will start improving sooner or later. Please don't get discouraged.

14. waltzgirl

waltzgirl Active Member

Thanks, all! I've always been good at playing the hand I'm dealt and I'm sure I'll land on my feet (with plenty of metaphors to spare ;). At the moment, I'm not done being pissed off.

I don't get why companies fail to give notice for layoffs. There's so much to figure out when you lose your job and so hard to do it all when you're that stressed. Having some time to look for another job and make well-thought-out financial adjustments and other plans would make so much difference. It's just ridiculous that I had to be dashing to the drug store at 10 pm to stock up on ibuprofen, etc. to spend down my flexible spending account so I didn't lose the money I put into it. I can understand walking someone off the premises when they're being fired for cause, but to show so little respect for someone who's in good standing with the company just makes a bad situation worse. The local school district has had to make layoffs a couple times in recent years and they always issue the layoff notices months in advance (yeah, unions!). Yet the teachers keep showing up to work and don't start beating the kids. It's just insulting to be treated as less responsible and professional than a kindergarten teacher!

One of the crummiest aspects of this is having to pass on the pain to people who depend on me economically, like my hairdresser, manicurist, cleaning service and, if things get bad enough, my roommate and my pro. At least, I'm giving people more notice than I was given, even if it means spending money I'd rather not in the meantime.

15. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

16. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

Best wishes to both WGirl and Samina. Sorry to hear that.

17. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Sorry about the layoffs guys. My job is pretty safe (although staffing/supplies could get dangerously low if donations to the hospital go down as the economy goes down) but my husband's hours have been drastically cut, so our household budget is taking a huge beating. I've been trying to make up his lack of hours by working more myself, but we're fully staffed on my floor right now and nobody on staff will get sick, except on the days I'm already working!:p Word is his job will have more work after the new year, but it's going to be even worse until then. Luckily he's taking his vacation days, which will actually pay him more than a work day with as short as his days have been, and the holidays too. If we can just make it until January, we can file for our tax refund and hopefully both work a bit more. :)

18. elisedance

elisedance New Member

LG all I can say is ouch and hugs. The numbers in the papers are just that, numbers until the people we know are affected - and of course it can be any of us. Right now things seem to be a bit easier in Canada but where the US goes we inevitably follow so I think its just a matter of time.

IMO the US became so used to an expanding economy it forgot what the protections from recession fought for by generations of workers were for - and threw them out as so much historic dust. It worries me that if we go from recession (I suppose we're allready in one) to worse then the support mechanisms to cope will be missin. At least we have one major postive change up top.

Very, very best of luck finding new positions/directions you two - and anyone else in the same position ...
    <hugs>

19. hustleNflow

hustleNflow New Member

While the failing economy is definitely scary for everyone, I have to admit - I am loving what it is doing to retail prices. I went shopping today and was thrilled with the sales that are going on - stores are being hit just as hard by the recession as individuals are, as the average shopper doesn't have the same disposable income that they usually do. So stores are drastically cutting back prices just so they don't get overstocked :cool: For example, at Express (quite possibly my favorite store ever) EVERYTHING is buy 1, get one half off. Not just "pants, BOGO" or "jewelry, BOGO" - EVERYTHING IN THE STORE. I have never seen them do such a sale! And Victoria's Secret undies, which are usually $7-9 per pair, are now 7 for $25. As much as I want to see our economy improve and the job market to pick back up - I am gonna miss deals like these :lol:

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Yes, my son works at J.Crew and he's getting 70% off outerwear this weekend. Very tempting, as I do need a good winter coat. But he always comes home and says the mall is deserted...nobody coming into the store. His position is commission-influenced, so we've been talking about how to maximize his efforts with so few customers.