Emergency Competition Kit

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by caityrosey, Dec 30, 2005.

1. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

What should you carry in your emergency competition kit? All the little things that you might need to make repairs, bandaid a booboo, cure your headache, or boost your morale.

I always always carry a ziploc bag with: bandaids, triple antibiotic ointment, q-tips, ibuprofen, tiger balm, atheltic tape, corn pads (they work to keep the pressure off a blister in a pinch), extra heel protectors (although I'll be switching to suede bits), clear nail polish, safety pins, a travel sewing kit.

2. Laura

Laura New Member

Superglue and/or E-6000.

3. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

What's E-6000

4. Laura

Laura New Member

It's a glue that "sticks anything to anything." Some people use it to stone dresses. I use it to repair shoes (when the suede sole pulls off the shoe, for instance). It's also the glue that most ballroom jewelry makers use, so you can repair your jewelry at the comp if somethiung breaks or falls out.

5. redhead

redhead New Member

petroleum jelly, hairspray, extra fishnets

6. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I also carry a pair of rubber gloves with superglue, wouldn't want superglue to stick to my hands.

7. Keelzorz

Keelzorz New Member

*Doublesided tape can be a blessing, especially for anyone who hasn't stress-tested their costumes (or might have lost weight and things don't stay where they used to). I use normal Scotch tape, not the ludicrously expensive Body Tape marketed to dancers.

*I prefer Ace bandages over athletic tape, partially because I just don't have experience with taping injuries. I keep knee and ankle wraps, as well as the long bandages handy.

*Keep a variety of painkillers on hand. It's better to treat the problem (ibuprofen for aches/hurts, acetaminophen for headaches, naproxen for bone hurt). If you're in a really bad way, it lets you combine/alternate treatment.

*In terms of morale, pack food you know you'll eat. I know if I pack a big ole sammich, I'll never get around to eating it. I'll make a simple sandwhich, cut into bite sized pieces, for long comps, and I try to always have energy bars handy. Balance bars are great - tasty, a good balance of protein/carbs/fats, and they don't sit heavy on you, like Clif Bars or some granolas. Bring water or gatorade (I like Vitamin Water) that you've had before and will have again.

*Nothing is more important than safety pins! In the competition event thread, someone mentioned buying safety pins in bulk from sewing/dry cleaning supply stores, and that's an amazing idea. I know I don't have the time to sew a dress, and I've improvised floats/hemlines/accessories and more with the help of my tin of safety pins.

8. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I'm waiting for Joe to post about his kit. The man has *everything* in that dance bag of his!!!

9. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I know, which is why it's even more remarkable that he's able to travel so light. :)

I bring:

-extra heel covers
    -ibuprofen
    -bandaids
    -athletic tape
    -water, gatorade and snacks
    -eyelash glue (for gluing on earrings)

I know there's more I can't recall right now...

10. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

I've never been to an emergency competition!

11. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

When you just have to go NOW!!! :p

12. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

Extra makeup, especially lipstick, and a mirror
    bobby pins and hair pins
    mints

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

i think there is an old thread on this...sot of..like what do you keep in your comp bag...have read whole thread so sorry if I repeat....I keep super glue for the soles of my shoes which comps tear up...and I keep lip gloss...in case
    (handsome) photographer is around to take pictures,hair glue...yes glue...powerade and aleeve.....safety pins...needle and thread

14. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

extra pair of shoes (ALWAYS), extra costume (sometimes) eyelash glue, makeup, eyelashes, hairspray, my weight in extra bobby pins, gum (Trident Original), water bottle, snack bars, super glue, safety pins, Tylenol, q-tips, hand lotion, spray tanner, bronzer, bottle of champagne, pen, camera.

I think that might be it, it's certainly enough! Seriously, this is a list of things I can't live without at a comp. Crazy!

I usually carry it all in a small rolling suitcase and a caboodle (makeup case) and it works out o.k.

15. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I'll try that double-sided tape. Sounds like a good thing to add to the bag.

As far as the safety pins go, I buy them at craft supply stores, you can get 100 for a few dollars.

16. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

One thing that I always take is a small MP3 player. It serves two purposes: (1) a supply of practice music. (2) At every comp, I reach a point at some time during the day when I need to listen to some chill-out music.

17. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

The BIG bag that I carry to the ballroom with me ususally has the following:
    *Makeup: powder, lip stick, eyelash glue, and a small mirror
    *Hair: hair pins and hair spray
    *Shoe/Feet: 1 extra pair of shoes, baby powder for slow floor, anti-slip powder for fast floor, extra heel protectors, gel pad, medical tape, shoe brush
    *Other Things: safety pins, emergency sewing kit, dancesport body glue (I love this glue! It works so well with bra cups.), Advil, Ice-Hot gel and a towel

18. alemana

alemana New Member

after my extensive competition experience (exactly one comp) i will say that a permanent addition to my bag is now:

a small bottle of pepto-bismol.

i think i will also include some drinking straws this time. they are excellent for keeping lipstick intact whilst imbibing prior to going on the floor, and they also serve to keep me from gulping, which is not good for my nerves.

19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Cool idea, alemana! :D

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Ha!

Let's see.

• Pharmaceuticals of assorted varieties
    • Shoelaces
    • A spool of thread with a needle sticking in it
    • Athletic tape (much less bulky than Ace bandages--and easier to put your foot back in your shoe afterwards)
    • Powdered rosin in case, a) your partner's back gets very sweaty (so your hand doesn't slip), and b) if the floor is superfast like the spot at the MAC
    • Baby powder for slow floors (my partner has this so I don't bother now)
    • Heel covers, for partners who don't have their own
    • Safety pins for when the comp orgs run out and you need to pin your number, or some girl comes up to you with a wardrobe malfunction
    • Contact cement or superglue for shoe malfunctions
    • Shoe brush to loan those people who need one (I brush my own shoes maybe once a year, if they last that long)
    • Sharpie and rollerball pens
    • Gum
    • Multiple sets of accessories so I can get another tails shirt ready to change into without having to switch over the accessories, or in case someone needs to borrow some