Emotional Attached

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by SwingWaltz, Oct 12, 2008.

1. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

Do you find yourself emotional attached to your dance partner? It's not nessarily love, but it's not as simple as friendship either, it's hard to explain. I'm feeling a mix of wonderful emotions, I would think of the partner but I can't really explain what it is that I am thinking about. Confused? Me too!

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I you like the fact that you haven't had a fight yet...monitor that closely...

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

harmony is a wonderful thing

4. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I know what you're talking about. My partner and I get it. We're very good friends, and we understand each other completely. We very very rarely fight.

5. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Two of my dance partners are good friends, and the third my boyfriend. So yeah, I guess I'm emotionally attached to them. One in particular. ;)

But then, we're not all that serious as far as dancing goes (only collegiate competition) so there's not as much emotional drama to guard against.

6. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

It's rather simple, actually. Dance is a different kind of art. Painters paint canvasses; potters sculpt pots; quilters quilt, etc. A dancer is the art...the dancer is the dance. So, when we dance, we are not dealing with an externality, be it; passion (how it touches us emotionally), reaction (how it makes us feel), desire (the will to want more), endorphines (how it affects us physically).

These are all very intimate stimuli. Dance, esp. BR, is very intimate...very sensual...often, very sexy. All of these feel goods...these warm fuzzies are always to/by/with our partners, and can often become confused with the appropriate emotion. Are students really in love w/ their pros, or ams w/ their partners, or are we all just infatuated with the feelings that we receive from dancing?

Dare I say, you are definitely not alone in this one.

7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Nicely written AH - a very complex set of feelings. Perhaps every woman falls a bit 'in love' (for want of a better term) with thier dance pro, if they work long enough together. and I suppose sometimes there is a bit in the reverse direction too (though I doubt its that frequent). I think the thing is not to deny it but to compartmentalize it as a part of your dance partnership and not get deluded that its anything more than the dance itself. If you can pull that off the dancing becomes just that bit more genuine.

8. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Merci, but, though "compartmentalize" is a good word, one should not be so recessed to delusion either. many successul romances have been borned of succssful partnerships. [​IMG]

9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

yes - but I hazzard to guess that many more have been delusional on one side or tother :) I think safest to assume that the 'relationship' is solely a dance one until there is proof of anything further - and then I would still be a bit sceptical.

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

My thoughts on it...

There is genuine interplay between male & female energies in good partnership dancing. It is primal and feels good on a deep level. No avoiding it if there is connection & harmony. But it only has the *meaning* that the individual or couple give it. And if we're feeling romantically, sensually, or sexually needy, it's easy to project meaning onto it that isn't backed up by compatibility and shared purpose. Same thing if our concept of "relationship" is limited and we think that those feelings must ipso-facto "mean" something more than just being a positive experience, however wonderful and open-hearted in the moment.

But us humans generally being confused about what we want, it's easy to get confused by these feelings...ergo the plethora of threads like this. :)

11. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

you are in love. and you are in denial.

12. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Or you are not in love but wish you were...

13. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

:rolleyes:

14. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Just enjoy the extended honeymoon:)

15. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

And lay off the married people!!! (My former husband was stolen, not to mention other attempted steals by students and partners!)

16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Much as I sympathyse with what you must have gone through, is it really possible to steal someone? Either they want to stay or they don't.... 'Stolen' has connotations of 'posession' - exactly what women fought against for hundreds of years (and still have to in some parts of the world).

17. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

so chachachacat, your former husband is a dance teacher? sorry for what you've been through. "hug"

18. rumblefish

rumblefish New Member

'Infatuation' perhaps more than love is what may be initially experienced. But love can grow out of that one, too.

19. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

people in relationships are often possessions just the same. never mind the women's libbers.. :p

20. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

What's wrong with belonging to one another?

Sometimes I wonder if feminism isn't just bitter women out to kill romance for everyone. ;)