Ballroom Dance > emotions in ballroom dancing

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomdancertoo, Nov 7, 2017.

1. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Well-Known Member

I was told by a principal ballet dancer that you must stay in focus when you are doing your routine and cant be distracted by audience applause or seeing something that breaks your concentration. but I was wondering if becoming emotional or being caught up in the moment is more a distracting than a positive thing. I would love to hear your thoughts on this, everyone here is quite good at voicing their opinions. thanks in advance.

2. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

When I am dancing a showcase with a partner, cheers, hoots, and hollers from the gallery encourage me and typically enhance my performance. But I do tend to "block out" distractions such as crying children, unexpected noises, or camera flashes. Maintaining the "emotion of your dance" is vital whether your number tells a love story, a tale of jealousy, or even slapstick comedy. Isn't "dance performance," whether showcase, competition, or even social dancing just an application of acting? Whether or not these feelings are innate or manufactured is up to you. Bottom line: Distractions are a two edged sword. They can either distract or enhance. Either way... yes, stay focused; but, let your emotions show. Don't bottle them up.

theAnnelis and QuickQuickSlow like this.
  3. euchoreo

euchoreo Member

Whether competing or perform, you are putting on a show and emotion you are portraying is often something predecided. You might choose to express yourself differently based on a mood of a song, probably not much else. This is especially true for competition where you need to express an exaggerated emotion even if you find a song bland.

I had a partner who loved to feed off the energy of any audience or good song. This is perfectly normal, but she also was incapable of practicing or dancing well if anything about the song was uninspiring. She also danced meekly if something affected her mood. Since she had competition anxiety, this mean we often came in much lower than we could have.

As her partner, I felt like half my job was feeding her an steady stream of compliments during practice and competitions just to keep her going. Even then, a bored look from a judge or any other worry could knock her off her game.

I, on the other hand, tend to get forceful when I get emotional, do I have to make sure my energy is always directed.

Especially for show dances, I block out anything I feel so I can appear desperately infatuated with my partner for one song and be flirty and excited for another song.

4. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Well-Known Member

"I, on the other hand, tend to get forceful when I get emotional, do I have to make sure my energy is always directed."
    very interesting thought, in what do you do "redirect" energy. Is it a refocusing thing (like coming back to the here and now?) or do you channel it through another way?

5. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

While I might dance well when I'm caught up in the song and the moment, I don't always follow all that well when that happens. And when I'm too excited, I inject way too much power... and that is apparently not fun at all for the lead, 'cause it feels like I'm pushing him around. So I tend to completely block out audiences, when I have them.

Oh, and that one time that I was crying by the end of a waltz (rough day, sad and powerful song, all the overwhelming feels...) is an experience I'd prefer not to repeat - took me a good 10 minutes to put myself back together enough to get some work done.

Calm and settled produces my best. Having a little bit of fun/moderate enjoyment is also ok. Any other emotion seems to be detrimental :)