General Dance Discussion > Engineers and dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by kansas49er, Aug 24, 2005.

1. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

Welcome to (posting on) DF bariumqueen!

2. bariumqueen

bariumqueen New Member

Thank you! Happy to finally join.

3. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Welcome Bariumqueen! The p value comment made me smile as well :)
    Of course, p values can only tell us whether something is statistically significant, not whether it is clinically significant, as that is more in the eye of the beholder. I deem this move stastically uncalled for, but clinically relevant to my dance enjoyment..evil laugh...

4. Romanov-X

Romanov-X New Member

Mechanical engineering student here! Have done a year of applied physics and mathematics, but switched to mechanical engineering because it seemed more technical and more practical (which it is and i'm now quite happy with it).

Aside of that I'm a 10-dancer here in Holland competing in the national comps at mid level, but sadly currently partnerless and my height isn't helping (6'5")

5. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF Romanov-X!

6. Terciel

Terciel Member

Come to think of it, many people in ballroom keep asking me if I'm an engineer, and to my answer that I'm majoring in physics, math, and comp-sci, they respond something along the lines of, "So yeah, basically an engineer."

In terms of how that affects my dancing, I learn new figures really absurdly quickly. So I know figures way beyond my level, but applying technique to those figures is the trickier part. I'd still say I'm a faster learner than average in that respect. I can memorize figures, footwork, sway, body position, all that jazz great, it's just DOING it that's the trouble.

I'm also incredibly more suited to Standard than Latin. I'm learning how to use my hips, but that's like venturing into incredibly foreign territory. That might be an artifact of the personality type that makes me a scientist, but who knows?

Also, an exceptional number of people in ballroom at my university are some sort of scientist or engineer. It's a popular field for us.

7. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

Im a computer scientist (or was) started out in college as Mechanical engineer. I remember that one of the aptitude test is visualization , that is
    and unfolded object and pick the shape it will be come. Might be why you can memorize figures.

8. Terciel

Terciel Member

Possibly, but I'm not actually certain I'm good at the visualization thing. When I remember figures, it's very much in the context of numbers (the count structure) and alignments, not visualizing what it should look like.

9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Makes sense to me...I have zero engineering/math aptitude but I score in the top percentile on visualization tests like that (the BBC IQ one cracked me up as it said "This is the range usually scored by engineers.")

10. tancos

tancos Active Member

Folkdancing always attracts a disproportionate number of engineering and computer science types. I suspect it is partly because we like the unique musical patterns in many of the Balkan dances. Last week I taught a Bulgarian dance in 18/16 time:
    1-2 1-2 1-2-3 1-2 1-2 1-2-3 1-2 1-2 counted as qqsqqsqq (q=quick, s=slow).
    I'm a computer scientist.

11. Terciel

Terciel Member

That sounds incredibly cool. I don't know if it's the scientist or musician in me, but I love unique musical patterns like that. Never come across a song that was 18/16 time before!

12. tancos

tancos Active Member

Unusual meters are common in the Balkans, with 5/16, 7/16, 9/16 and 11/16 being prevalant in Bulgaria and 12/16 in Macedonia. The first thing we engineer/folkdancers do when hearing an unfamiliar tune is to identify the meter so we know which dances would fit. On a historical note the Jazz community thought it was revolutionary when Dave Brubeck released a song in an irregular meter (Take 5). It turns out the he had spent time in the Balkans during his military service where they have been using irregular meters for centuries.

13. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Civil engineering student. Absolutely related. Dancing is hard work, all about understanding mechanisms and thinking. Only conflicting concept is that sometimes NOT thinking is good in dancing, lets your body do what it knows best. ;)

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Welcome back!