General Dance Discussion > Engineers and dancing

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by kansas49er, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I think that the number of engineers is representative of the part of the country that you are in (and yes, I know I ended that sentence with a preposition :)).

In my neck of the woods, we have less engineers in general, due to the job market being geared toward other professions and less toward engineers in general. BUT, we do have a disproportionate number of doctors and highly educated health professionals, like PhD's, etc. (myself included). But we are located smack in the middle of a huge university medical campus (literally down the street from my studio) with a medical research interest and a decent metropolis with lots of hospitals, etc., so I think while not engineers per se, the type of thinkers and such is similar across certain professions. And in my opinion, the reasons for the numbers of engineers in ballroom dancing can extrapolate well to certain other professions too.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yes. When I lived in Orlando, there were two basic professions -what was called the "high tech corridor" which focused on engineering and science. And there was the hospitality industry that, for the most part, paid little more than minimum wage. So the dance studio I attended had a lot of engineers, plus quite a few independently wealthy people and/or entrepreneurs. Nobody else could afford $100/hour for lessons.

Oh yeah and re: ending sentences with prepositions, have you ever listened to a radio program on NPR called "A Way With Words?" Ending sentences with prepositions, according to the show hosts (linguists?) is not necessarily a bad thiing. I can't remember why, but could probably google. Something to do with misinterpretation of the root language, IIRC. ETA: Here's a link to the episode. http://www.waywordradio.org/tweet-tweet-polly-wanna-cracker/

3. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Did someone call for a linguist?

Yep. English has ended sentences with prepositions for its entire history. But in the 17th-18th centuries, some grammarians decided that English should mimic Latin, which doesn't, and an influential author or two decided that their own writing sounded better if they didn't -- and then gave that stylistic advice to a few students/admirers. And so arose fodder for countless pedants. In highly formal writing, if you want to make sure everyone knows that you know the "rule," there may be reason to avoid the construction if you can do so without sounding stilted. In casual speech and writing, don't worry about it -- you're just speaking/writing English as it's always been.

Sorry, BOT.

4. pygmalion

Thanks, bia. :-D

5. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Yes, there's all sorts of weirdness in how the language is taught because of trying to force the English peg into the Latin hole.

6. pygmalion

Among other things. That's why I love the show A Way With Words. There is so much interesting weirdness in American English and its idioms. Fascinating. :-D

7. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

I'm a computer science student. My love for ballroom has absolutely nothing to do with the precision or technique or structure or anything along those lines, in relation with scientific disciplines. Yes, I'm a very serious dancer, I like to think I'd be like Len Goodmn if I was a DWTS juge. I take technique very seriously. But they're separate, unrelated.

8. Wannabee

Ok, got it! Thanks everyone. I'll update my English repertoire to include any and all factoids that I might benefit from. :twisted:

9. pygmalion

*giggle* Factoid central; that's me. :oops: I have all sorts of factoids from which you might benefit. :mrgreen: :lol:

10. Wannabee

LOL! I'll keep that in mind pygmalion ;)

11. brianl

brianl New Member

As an engineer myself I'd have to agree with the "Freedom through boundaries" approach. For me ballroom is easier than club dancing because there are defined positions, figures, etc... To my mind that just makes more sense.

In some ways ballroom is a lot like martial arts. My brother teaches Aikido and swears there are a ton of engineers in his classes.

12. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF brianl!

13. mjnemeth

mjnemeth Member

Just realized that there should be a lot of engineers, sciencist & medical personal here because it what we do ; research the project/problem!

14. kckc

kckc Active Member

Clinical laboratory scientist here. And I agree!

15. randomaeiou

randomaeiou Member

I propose a very simple thought experiment:

Everybody take all the adult-start (i.e. started competitive ballroom at uni or 18+) dancers they know at their studio(s). We'll include Seniors/Masters dancers too.

Exclude any dancers whose highest competitive level is still in restricted syllabus (this is a very crude, but very convenient, and most probably over-enthusiastic method of removing "non-enthusiasts" from consideration)

Now come up with 2 numbers - total number of individuals, and number of individuals in STEM fields (or studying/intending to become STEM professionals).

My local numbers work out as 17 STEM out of 30 (that I know of)... seems awfully high - I'm 101% sure my locale is not comprised of >50% of such professional jobs, even if you remove the lower paying jobs that wouldn't care to spend as much on dancing as a hobby.

16. pygmalion

Interesting experiment, random, but I don't think it's possible to eliminate all the potentially confounding factors.

17. randomaeiou

randomaeiou Member

ahhh... the beauty of statistics - with a sufficiently large sample (or effect), you wouldn't have to :grin:

besides, we're not looking for p<0.0001, just a hint of a trend. like i said - this is a very crude experiment that can be done in 1 minute, but I still think it'll give a very interesting first-approximation result, particularly if everyone contributes a number and we get a few more bits of data.

18. bariumqueen

bariumqueen New Member

I have visited this web site for a number of years and I have to say this is the most hilarious exchange I have ever read. I enjoyed it so much I finally decided to register and post something. I think the mention of p values in this context was the deciding factor for me. Who knew! I had no idea there were so many other nerds on the dance floor!

19. DL

DL Well-Known Member

http://xkcd.com/882/

20. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Too bad most of you don't do Argentine Tango. You might find my attempts at analysing "apilado" amusing. But on the other hand might add help shaprpen my efforts.

bariumqueen, welcome. Gee, wonder what that refers to? (no, let's not go there!)