Tango Argentino > Englighten me, Please...

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Mario7, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

You forgot one thing! Any attempt to teach the piggies will forever taint their ability to take flight. It is the duty of every pig to remain pure and chaste of mind until called upon. If they start to (heaven forbid) think or show initiative, who knows what could happen.

2. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

They might turn into Cows!

3. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm... topic, topic,,, where was the topic....

4. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Nuevo Cows!! D:

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

thank you dave...I realize that what is more commonplace in the rest of the forum is a bit less so here and we are always open to tweaking how we have worded things to make it clearer...and again, I echo larinda's request that those suggestions are very welcome in the staff mailbox

6. fascination

and now...back to your regularly scheduled topic...

7. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

Fascination, I'm mystified here.

You seem to be implying that no-one can discuss the openly stated opinions of a teacher or teachers? This is the AT section and there are as many opinions as there are people on here. I think it's perfectly reasonable to mention and constructively discuss such outspoken and influential people in the world of Tango.

In this case Chrisjj/ChisUK has been very restrained compared to his posts elsewhere in other forums. I even have some sympathy for his opinion even if they are somewhat impractical. Perhaps we should have a thread about how Tango could be better taught in the modern age bearing in mind that today is not set in Buenos Aires in the first half of the 20th century.

Also it seems to me to a bit disingenuous to publicly rebuke a poster and then follow that up by stating that moderation issues should not be discussed openly in a thread. Maybe your rebuke would have been better in private? It would be more consistent.

8. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Thanks

Thank you, moderators. You show real class.

9. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Dang, I hope it wasn't me that caused that outage.

10. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

No, I don't think so... Outages normally happen when flamethrowers are firing all at once. :bouncy:

So, uh.... What was the topic of this thread again?

11. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Which is just the point. This is not any other forum (like TangoL, etc.). We try to keep it peaceful and as respectful as possible. It is after all, our home.

btw, Welcome to DF! :D

12. chrisjj

chrisjj New Member

http://www.dance-forums.com/showpost.php?p=760896&postcount=174

Well, thank you for the exception you have generously made in this case.

13. chrisjj

chrisjj New Member

You're saying Graciela Gonzalez was the founder of the first Woman's Technique class? Wow. When and where was that, then?

14. chrisjj

chrisjj New Member

I'd like to hear what of my opinion you think is impractical.

15. fascination

I will say one last thing on this and then I sincerely hope this thread can resume it's subject matter...as that is the only reason we don't debate moderation in the public forum....b/c it destroys the threads on which the issue takes place....my only reason for any public intervention was that it was brought to the staff's attention by an AT member (via the staff mailbox)and as I perused the thread I noticed an ongoing debate over what could and couldn't be said and merely sought to provide clarity, thus there was no intent to issue an infraction...I then stated a reminder that further questions regarding that should go to the mailbox, precisely so that this wouldn't happen...as you all know, most of the mod staff leaves the moderation of AT to the AT mods whenever possible....but a public answer to the debate(see my initial post WRT which debate) was provided for clarity...not as an intent to rankle or invite the dissection of the vagueries of our guidelines(that can be done via the mailbox where the flow on the thread will not be distorted)...staff is aware of the inherant pitfalls of both overly vague as well as overly specific guidelines...either way they are subject to the judgement at hand...I appreciate everyone's feedback and ask again that this thread resume it's topic lest more moderation that no one wants has to ensue...thanks

16. fascination

excellent... let's get back to points of view pertaining to dance

17. Mario7

Mario7 Member

I agree with the above post as they are my own thoughts also, and I am thankfull that someone could word it so well.
    Perhaps, I'm warped but I always found Chris's posts on Tango-L very informed, thought provoking and frank. In my opinion, we should definately keep this guy around. The kind of polemic that he brings is fertile ground for something novel, both from him and other contributers to this forum.
    Let's just relax, it'll work out:bkick:

18. fascination

if you would like to weigh in on moderation please do so in the mailbox...thanks

19. chrisjj

chrisjj New Member

Folks, for anyone under the same misapprehension as the moderator who in a PM to me today falsely charged that my posting above is "in violation of how we enforce the gossip policy on the forums which is to say we don't presume that specific persons who are not posting are watching and we don't allow anything to be attributed to them which is not verafiable by them as a liability issue and a matter of respect", note that my statements that these instructors had "just two years of dance experience" and "claimed they invented the profession of tango teacher" are completely verifiable - by anyone who cares to check the public record of the interviews given by the instructors themselves e.g.

http://tinyurl.com/yjecy8a
    When I was sixteen, I wanted to learn to dance tango from my father, but, well, it wasn?t very successful. So when I was in my twenties, about 1981, I started studying with Rodolfo Dinzel.[...] start teaching. I first started teaching [...] in 1983.

http://tinyurl.com/yfv6j5k
    We have invented a new profession: Tango teacher.

Thanks for reading.

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

however...although the dancer in question studied with one teacher for two years, he had far more dance experience than that, which is easily construed from the link you provided. in the interview, he states that he grew up around tango...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.