Funstuff and Inspiration > Enlightening Conversations

Discussion in 'Funstuff and Inspiration' started by Larinda McRaven, Nov 2, 2008.

1. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I am trying to read something for the first time after 20 or so years. Reading a book...Anyways, let me recommend it to you, though I think someone at DF already did recommend it to me a while ago. It's called THE ELEMENT by Ken Robinson! It's a nice read!

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

just discovered www dot indiegogo dot com, a "crowdfunding" platform. wow, what a great idea...am instantly inspired by knowing that many people's visions and grass-roots projects, creative ventures and humanitarian efforts will be able to find support in a way that wasn't possible, previously.

felt it belonged in this thread, because it's like a hole being punched in the wall of a global paper bag, shedding light on personal & collective potentials.

love to see technology & social media serving a truly constructive purpose.

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

found above site through having watched a very disturbing vid, though... elderly woman on a school bus, being tormented by middle-school-aged young people (YT vid "making the bus monitor cry"). brings thoughts to mind on how to truly constructively deal with bullies...

there's so much in the world that needs attending to...

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I saw that poor lady on CNN. My God! What kind of world are we living in? Who is raising our kids?

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

these kids have received the twisted message that to harm and berate others gives them power. what they need is to be shown that it shows how weak and powerless they really are. they need a lesson in how "projection" works...how their behavior toward others shows them to be exactly what they fear and try to protect.

but we generally just want to punish them, thinking that's "discipline". they need leaders to set limits for them, for sure, but there's another piece i haven't seen enter the equation yet. problem won't get fixed til that degree of awareness is understood by those who are in charge of correcting their behavior.

it is so sad to see such barbarism, though. reminds me of the kids in greece who would throw stones at an addled elderly relative of mine...psh.

you're right, P - who's raising these kids?

6. pygmalion

Yes, sami. Yes. The kids in that scenario were even more powerless than the grandmom. It breaks my heart. It breaks my heart. Brutality is not power. It's giving in to ones base instincts.

Vincit qui se vincit. (The motto of my high school.) He/she conquers who conquers her/himself.

Yeah. We can bully retiree grandmas. Or we can stand up and support what we know is right. Who is raising our kids?

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

when their community sees the bully kids as pathetic rather than engendering rage, that will be a huge stride of progress.

8. pygmalion

Yes. It is very sad. I don't know. I don't know. I was blessed with a child who has his own moral compass and who does not stray from it.

I don't know the solution, sami. I don't even know if there is a solution. The Lord of the Flies on a school bus? OMG.

9. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

This was sent my way this morning via the Sikh ashram I frequent. I know we had talked about Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor previously in the thread, but here is another video of her retelling her experiences not only of her stroke but how she came through the other side and more importantly what she learned from it.

http://www.oprah.com/own-super-soul...-Preview-Oprah-and-Dr-Jill-Bolte-Taylor-Video

What I found interesting was that during her stroke even though she was unable to recognize language, she still understood the intent behind the garbled words. And she theorizes so do babies and animals.

The next thing I loved hearing was how she insisted that people replay the same tired stories of hurt and pain. And if one could simply stop replaying the track endlessly inside (or outside) their head, the pain miraculously disappears in 90 seconds. It literally only takes your body 90 seconds to "get happy" if you let it.

This video inspired me to go buy her book My Stoke of Insight.

10. pygmalion

Wow. That is powerful stuff, Larinda.

I don't have a lot to say in response, because I have to digest first.

Tangentially related: When DS was about eight months old, I took him with me to Target one day. My habit, back then, was to chat with him like I would a sister or girlfriend, pretty much non-stop. While we were at Target, that day, a lady laughingly said, "Oh. You think he understands you, huh?" My response? "Yeah. He does."

I believe that. Children do "know" the intent of what you are saying, even if they don't know the words yet. I also think they know words a lot sooner than might be comfortable for a lot of us. How else could they start forming (short) sentences in fifteen to eighteen months from birth?

Kids are smart on a level that a lot of adults aren't. They are intuitive and observant. And often, they are uncomfortably honest... until we adults teach them to lie.

I can't respond to the stroke thing right now because I had two this year, so it hits close to home.

11. Larinda McRaven

I went home for Christmas to my Dads house one year. My nephew, who is now out of high school, was barely walking and certainly not talking more than "dada" and "mama".

I have had an aversion to purses most of my life and rarely carry one. My step-Mother insisted that if I were to take her car out to see my friends that I take my purse, instead of stuffing my id and money in my jean pocket. I pleaded with her to just let me go, and anyway I had no idea where my purse was. She told me I had to find it before I could go. This small banter went back and forth all the while I was getting ready. When I sat down to put my shoes on, my tiny little nephew waddled over to me and laid my purse down in my lap.

They clearly know what is going on, even at the tender age of one year.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

having had two cardiac episodes that mimicked strokes and having worked for hospice for a decade, I can verify that while people's verbal capacity often diminishes to what we call "word salad"...i.e. randomly tossed nonsensical utterances... what was critical was still more often than not, conveyed and comprehended...as for toddlers and babies, research has even shown us that when mothers mimick post partum by exhibiting flat affect to their children, their children will experience the trauma of that....connection is a powerful thing

13. pygmalion

Yes. I've seen film (I can't remember the context) in which little tiny babies looked traumatized by having adults act uncaring. It's really scary to see, if you are a caring adult who's afraid of making a life-changing mistake. Parenthood = scared poopless. Just sayin.

14. Larinda McRaven

15. pygmalion

That hits me hard. My brother had a life-threatening brain injury more than a decade ago. I honestly don't know if I pray that my brother knows what is going on or if I pray that he doesn't. I just pray that God will take care of my big brother and not let him suffer too much.

16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

thank you for this...

so often in hospice, people would walk into a room and speak of a dying person or an alzhiemer's patient as if they weren't even there...such a dreadful mistake...I had patients who hadn't spoken coherently in a decade, sing the word of their favorite hymn with me or respond to other significant stimuli...the mind is amazing

17. pygmalion

18. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

A hand for you to hold....

19. pygmalion

Thanks btm. That means a lot. It's really funny how I stuff the awful things because they're too awful to confront. Then something happens - little triggers, usually -- that bring the awful out of the closet.

Sorry. Didn't mean to spew my stuff on the thread. :oops:

And back to lighter topics.

20. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

ok I'll realte a story that a friend of mine witnessed.

he was in an airport lounge and there was this couple who had obviously had a row, and were mad with each other and standing some distance apart, not talking. This Down's kid gets it right away. he takes the hand of one of the man and pulls him towards the woman.
    The Downs kid; then says "Hold hands"..so they do..then he says "Now kiss"..and they do.....

:D