Tango Argentino > Enough Classes

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by AndaBien, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Hey, welcome to DF.
    AT isn't just for "serious students", although you can be made to feel that way.
    If you are having a good time and people continue to ask you to dance and there is no blood on the dance floor, don't beat yourself up.

2. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, what Steve said. Just go and have fun. If people are dancing with you, then you must be doing something right.

[​IMG]

3. LoveTango

LoveTango Member

Thank you, Steve, thank you, dchester, for your welcoming notes. I have tons of questions and often get confused with various and often contradictory information. I am now going through the earlier threads to see if I can find answers to my questions.

I just happened to come across an earlier thread, where both of you have mentioned being corrected by followers. I have exactly the same experience, from some inexperienced leaders (but thought they knew better). When it happened at a class, the teacher would square the issue right away. but if it happens at a Milonga, then I just have to "correct" myself for that specific leader. Often I can tell which advices are needed, and will take in full heartedly. I like your quote, dchester. I could be that fool who is so certain at certain time, though often I am the one with doubt to my ability.
    Thank you again, for the warm welcome to a newbie. :)

4. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

hi compañera, you do not need to take classes, and you do not need to be ashamed at all! There are so many ways to learn tango! I (f.i.) started to learn on my own, for I felt absolutely overchallenged by the traditional way of learning by watching the instructor. I never danced before, so I could not bank on anything and my mirror-neurons were not trained at all. So I ran out of my second class and went to milongas for three years. I got very well integrated in that community and danced with really experienced girls from the very beginning on. So I could ask: what about my pacing, what about my axis, what about bobbing, what about... and so on. And all that feedbacks helped me further on. (So! thank you all you splendid milongueras!) I set my own objectives: step by step I built up my own tango curriculum. And after 5 years I began to seek a teacher. I found a former ballerina and began to work hard again. First it was kind of a deconstruction of almost everything I´ve done before, after that my second tango curriculum began... (and so on, still under construction). By now I am going to teach, got a class of 5 couples and I hope I am a teacher (in the full sense of meaning), not a instructor.

5. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Tango!

You'll find plenty of contradictory information here too! :D

Again... welcome to Tango :rolleyes:

6. LoveTango

LoveTango Member

That's very impressive. I am almost the opposite. I take in lessons quickly. My first teacher taught me enough to get me started. Then I start getting advices here and there, so I become the product of contradictory teaching. I think every once in a while, I should take a private lesson to tune up my technique and get things re-aligned. The problems is now that I get more exposed to the AT world, don't even know how to define a good teacher.:(

7. LoveTango

LoveTango Member

You are right, Zoopsia. I realized that. AT is a complicated world.

8. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

I stop taking classes unintentionally. My teachers decided to stop giving lessons.
    There were just a few of us regular on the classes and practicas so IMO it's better that we don't have ones but we'll having workshops, don't know when.

I have strong basis about technique so I can explore with follower in my community.
    I will watch videos and advanced dancer and try to perform elements that look alike.

@LoveTango
    AT is so special cause it's so personal. Every dancers moves differently.
    At first learn from ones source and when you get comfortable with your body explore that with other teacher and feel what is the best for you.
    Learning from other teacher might be contradictory at first, but you also have dancers that have different style so you will be able to adapt better.

9. LoveTango

LoveTango Member

Yes, I think a good follower can match different leading styles.

10. Mladenac

Mladenac Well-Known Member

I define it that teacher shows you how to feel and be more comfortable in performing various elements. :notworth:
    That respects that your natural is not teacher's natural.

Teacher should be able to explain body dynamics and put into a practice.
    All done in relaxed way.

11. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

One of the hard things for me to make sense of, was all the contradictory information that people would give you. Eventually, I figured out that there is more than one right answer for many topics, due to different styles, preferences, and philosophies.

Of course, someone will probably tell you that I'm wrong, and there is only one correct answer on any topic in tango.

;)

12. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Well, it won't be me. I agree. And with all of my AT expertise (having taught beside and performed with the best of the best), I still study regularly. When one stops learning, or loving, life's reason ceases to exist.

13. bastet

bastet Active Member

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

What I try to do is keep in mind what style the person I am taking a lesson from dances. So when I want to work on aplilado things, I take classes from teachers 1 and 2...etc. When I want to work on other stuff, I take classes with teachers 3 or 4 (or whatever).

Teachers 1 or 2 will be fine with me doing a,b or c and correct me for x,y and z.

Then teachers 3 and 4 will be fine with x,y and z and correct me for doing a or b....

Those things I don't worry about and I keep them in mind as relevent to the style they are teaching. The things I pay most attention to are things that all of them correct me on....that's when I know I have an issue to work on that no body likes.

14. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I've also found that what sometimes seems like contradiction at first blush, really isn't once I think about it a bit more. It's usually different ways of explaining the same thing, or getting at a slightly different aspect of things, or there's something unique about the situation which makes it a bit different and warrants something different.

15. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

^ Very true.

16. Nathan

Nathan Member

I took a workshop with a well-known instructor who, when faced with the question of different teachers giving conflicting advice, told us that there are many ways to do almost anything, but what's most important is deciding who we're going to trust. I would like to add that not all sources are equally credible. :wink:

17. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

It seems a shame to me that there are no accessible 'credible' sources based on anything more tangible than the reputation of an individual or 'school' of dancing.

18. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

that's the sort of thing I would say....;)

19. JohnEm

JohnEm Well-Known Member

You seem to be seeking the same prescriptive certainties
    of the ballroom teaching syllabus for Tango.

Who would say what/who is a "credible" source?
    In other words, who assesses the assessors?

Which is better for tango, self-appointed teachers or some self-appointed
    over-arching, and probably restrictive, dance association? At least with
    self-appointed teachers you can ignore the ones whose style you don't
    sympathise with or, more positively, only seek those you prefer.

Tango repays the effort of researching and learning from other sources
    than just teachers. Gain enough knowledge to make up your own mind
    about what it is you want to do and then you can decide when and who
    to learn from. Think of it as part of the Tango challenge.

20. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

I am not in awe of the teaching societies - far from it, but I also have a healthy skepticism about anyone who is self-appointed. I very much doubt that any one organisation could succeed in being either 'over-arching' or 'restrictive', but the alternative of everyone going their own way seems to me to be a very inefficient way to either learn or grow the dance.