Tango Argentino > Etiquette Question

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by spot1969, Jun 3, 2008.

1. QPO

QPO New Member

Well the class starts on the 23rd June so will see, ballroom tango comes across very powerful and sharp, what I have see with AT that the body hold is much closer at the top, mans arm is further round the back to hold the women closer, timing looks way different, but I am up for a challenge and the fact that it is just for us as a partnership sounds very attractive :) will keep you posted.

2. newbie

newbie Well-Known Member

Tell us afterwards how it has been, and especially whether it was as powerful and sexy as you expected. Here in my neck of the woods we're not sexy, and the followers hate it when we use a powerful lead.

3. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Being a former ballroom dancer, I found that the AT posture is almost diametrically opposite of the ballroom posture. I had to unlearn my ballroom frame, walk, posture, arm position, breathing, foot placements to make my AT frame look right. From my perspective, AT and BR-T are totally different.

The partnership is more of an AT focus, as it is leader based, and is improvised. The SSQQS count, doesn't quite work. Well, it kinda does but it doesn't look nor feel right. One thing is that the music in a real AT changes rhythm several times within one song. BR-T's rhythm is a consistent stacatto.

You say that BR-T is powerful and sharp. I say that you'll find that AT is a helluva lot more complicated, soft, intense, sensual, mezmerizing, addicting, socially danceable, composed of the trifecta: Tango-Vals-Milonga, connected to your partner at a more spiritual level, a 3 minute date (per dance), a ~12 minute affair (per tanda), blah, blah, blah, etc... Its great!

Oh, and like so many of us (myself especially), you may never want to go back... :cool:

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Ampster's comment about the rhythm changing in AT got me thinking about that topic. And I just came across this while tidying up my bookmarks.
    This is not meant to impress or intimidate. I hope that, on the contrary, it will encourage learnign more about the music, and how we dance to it.

<FONT face=Arial><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: black; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">

5. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

I'm scared of naked HTML :rolleyes:

6. Steve Pastor

Er, um.. I knew that something wacky went on there...
    I swear the words were right there on the screen when I pressed "Post Quick Reply".
    Let's see if this makes more sense.

NS: What rhythm should you dance to in a tango if there's more than one?
    KI: You should do the one that your teacher asks you to do :) Seriously, tango is about expression, hopefully what you are inspired to express will help you decide which element in the music to embrace.I often relate to the bass line to move my partner's feet, and the strings and bandoneons perhaps to influence my torso and embrace. But it changes all the time, just as the music constantly shifts. For me, this falls in the category of things better felt then understood. Our analytical minds are rather blunt instruments for creating expressive tangos, but our bodies, hearts, souls can find this fairly naturally,Affter all, that's pretty much where it comes from.
    NS: Is there such a thing as dancing the melody as opposed to dancing the rhythm?
    KI: I suppose. Although, from a musician's stand point it’s a little bit awkward to separate the two. Melody contains an element of rhythm. So when we dance the melody, I think what we're actually doing is allowing the melodic shape to influence which rhythms we move to. It is difficult to literally articulate some melodies. Imagine trying to step on every melodic note of Reliquias Portenas for example. It would be something akin to an epileptic seizure.
    But we could let melody suggest places to add little rhythmic moments and perhaps places to use less activity. I think often, good dancers use the melody to keep the dance from becoming routine. Melodies often share very human characteristics, like the need to breath, or to balance tension and release. This can be a great influence on the dance.
    NS: Are you dancing if your not on the beat?
    KI: Quite possibly. I think its also possible to move absolutely on the beat without dancing. Sometimes we mistake marching for dancing. The first expresses time and direction, the second expresses the things we don't have words for.

7. QPO

QPO New Member

I think my powerful is not meant to be they way you are intepreting it. I don't mean powerful as in strong. Intense, passionate and sexy perhaps :) I will definately let you know, only have a week to go it starts on the 23rd June.

8. QPO

QPO New Member

Rocked up for our Beginners lesson and no-one was there. apparently they did not have enough people to start the new group. so they have deferred the class for four weeks. So now we have to wait a bit longer....sigh

9. dancinrina

dancinrina New Member

So, since this is a thread on etiquette, I have a question. (and by the way QPO, I'm very sorry to hear that.... that sucks). My dance schedule is set up in such a way that I take an hour of Smooth Waltz right before an hour of AT. And, because they're group lessons, a few people do likewise. Well, after my hour of Waltz (although this is my first time taking smooth I've danced Std. for years so, obviously, I know waltz...), I was psyched for AT. But, this one guy showed up for that class - which, I take almost every group class offered and this is the first one I've seen him in. He was incredibly rude to everyone but the teacher. She asked him to dance with her to demonstrate lead and follow (apparently this wasn't the first time he's taken the class) and he kept "showing off" with steps the rest of the class hasn't learned yet (this was the first class of the beginner level...aka, basic and ochos).Then, it was my turn in the rotations to dance with him. He was incredibly bipolar in leading - first violent, then non-existent, he was rude and when he did something odd that resembled a waltz more than it did the tango, I made a light hearted comment about it - aka, a joke. He said "Try me" in the most threatening way I've ever heard and stormed off. I was left standing for the rest of that rotation without a partner.... He came back and we were still on the same rotation and when the teacher said to partner up again, he just stood there. When I approached, he said he didn't feel like dancing, 2 seconds later, he was dancing with someone else, not in the rotation. So, was it something I did? Or is he just an a**hole?

10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Butt-hole. And a (seemingly) frighteningly aggressive one, at that.

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Yah, good riddance...

12. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

a**hole. No doubt about it.

13. spot

spot New Member

a***hole (to use the English spelling).

I don't think this one is going to be subject to much disagreement.

14. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Concur with that. Plus, he obviously hasn't the slightest idea about how to dance with newcomers. :rolleyes:

15. dancinrina

dancinrina New Member

Okay, I feel better because I always feel like I've done something to offend people if they're not civil to me.

16. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

can we watch the language. there are underage kids here.

17. Steve Pastor

Group lessons can be very trying, since you have to deal with all kinds of people when there is rotation of partners.
    You could look at it as a chance to practice your coping skills for the same kinds of people you will no doubt later encounter when you go out dancing.

18. dancinrina

dancinrina New Member

Sorry, I assumed the asterisks would be okay, kind of like the double back slash was used in a certain other word in a certain other thread. But anyway, if it isn't I apologize and it won't happen again.

19. bastet

bastet Active Member

Coping skills...ha ha...ain't that the truth sometimes...:rolleyes:

20. bastet

bastet Active Member

grrr- that's just plain horrible...but- yeah-they're out there....