Dancers Anonymous > Everything I Need to Know ....

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Oct 1, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

All I ever needed to know, I learned in Kindergarten

Most of what I really need to know about how to live, and what to do, and how to be, I learned in kindergarten. Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate school mountain, but there in the sand box at nursery school.

These are the things I learned. Share everything. Play fair. Don't hit people. Put things back where you found them. Clean up your own mess. Don't take things that aren't yours. Say you are sorry when you hurt somebody. Wash your hands before you eat. Flush. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you. Live a balanced life. Learn some and think some and draw some and paint and sing and dance and play and work everyday.

Take a nap every afternoon. When you go out in the world, watch for traffic, hold hands, and stick together. Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the plastic cup? The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why. We are like that.

And then remember that book about Dick and Jane and the first word you learned, the biggest word of all: LOOK! Everything you need to know is there somewhere. The Golden Rule and love and basic sanitation, ecology, and politics and the sane living.

Think of what a better world it would be if we all, the whole world, had cookies and milk about 3 o'clock every afternoon and then lay down with our blankets for a nap. Or we had a basic policy in our nation and other nations to always put things back where we found them and clean up our own messes. And it is still true, no matter how old you are, when you go out in the world, it is best to hold hands and stick together.

--- Robert Fulghum

2. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Awe...I LOVE that saying!!! Have you read his book? It's FANTASTIC!!!! Thank you for posting this...I really needed it today.

3. will35

will35 New Member

Almost a perfect description of the entire country of Spain.

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Spain? Please expand.

I've only been there a few times on business, but here's what I've observed. The Spanish are the most laid-back, kindly and hospitable people. Any country where everybody in the villages, including the grandmas, the children and the dogs, hangs out in tapas (appetizer) bars and drinks, eats and socializes every evening is a beautiful, beautiful place, if you ask me! :D

5. will35

will35 New Member

It's a very good place, but it can be a little annoying to be the only grown up in the whole country sometimes.
    The description is perfect except I'd change "Be aware of wonder" to "Be wary of wonder."
    And "Don't take what is not yours" to "Take what you can. The gov't will get it later anyway. The thieves!"

6. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Don't forget afternoon ciesta...what I wouldn't give for naptime at work... :wink:

7. will35

will35 New Member

Think of what a better world it would be if we all, the whole world, had cookies and milk about 3 o'clock every afternoon and then lay down with our blankets for a nap.
    -Robert Fulghum
    This also makes for several rush hours during the day.

8. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Um m m m m m, you all "don't" have milk and cookies at 3, then take a nap???

Man, I love MY job!

9. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

how great it would be to be a professional kindergarter.

10. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

YES!! I love crayons and I don't eat paste! :tongue: