Swing Discussion Boards > Evolution of Swing Dancing and Music - a brief overview

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by d nice, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Swing Kitten

Swing Kitten New Member

LOL! Sorry Vince, I SOOO took that the wrong way!! hheeehehehehehe

Besides... d nice is cute! You've seen the favorite memories thread! ...adorable and he knows it :wink:

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

:oops: :wink:

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Well written d nice.

Would like to mention country swing. I don't know much about the history of swing where C&W is concerned, but it experienced a surge in the early 80's due in part to Urban Cowboy and perhaps it helped to give a boost to swing in general at this time?

I can only think of two forms of swing unique to C&W as I learned and experienced it. One is called the Pony Swing which I never became very familiar with and the other being known at least locally as the Rodeo Swing which is very similar to the Hustle, but done to the same rhythm as single time swing. Don't know if the latter is even being done anymore, but I used to do it quite a bit some years back.

ECS and WCS though were used just as much as the above two I mention and many of the common patterns such as the Pretzel and Window are believed by many as being more particular to C&W.

Now, I have never seen or heard about Lindy Hop being incorporated into C&W even though I've heard a number of songs that at least to me have the tempo that would be suited to it, but I'm certainly open to correction if I am wrong.

4. d nice

d nice New Member

Despite the claims of some, "...the Savoy Lindy Hop (Known by the West Coast vernacular in the 1950's as 'Street Swing')." Savoy Style Lindy hop as a named style did not exist until the mid 1980's.

The surviving Savoy regulars all apparently agree that there was no one style associated with the Savoy Ballroom, at any point in it's history. Any claim that a dance style anywhere is "authentic Savoy Style Lindy Hop" is nothing more than smoke and mirrors and a transparant attempt at aligning two unrelated things in the publics mind IOW marketing.

What Savoy Style Lindy Hop refers to is the style of Lindy Hop that Frankie teaches, and those who have studied under him.

The "Street Swing" referenced above bears no stylistic resemblance to the mainstream styles of lindy hop danced in Harlem or at the Savoy Ballroom.

5. HepcatBob

HepcatBob New Member

That's what I learned and I learned most of it from Frankie.

I've been out dancing at different places and had guys in their 60s, 70s and even 80s come up to me and say stuff like "Where'd you learn to dance like that? You're doing that Harlem sh**."

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Amazing how obnoxious some people can be, isn't it? You'd think people would find out a little about the dances they're doing, if only to help them with styling, before they start making derogatory statements about other people's dancing. Go figure! :x

7. HepcatBob

HepcatBob New Member

???
    Was that a reply to my previous post?
    If it was, then the way they said it wasn't derogatory at all. I guess you had to be there to hear the comments and the whole conversations. They were actually being quite complimentary. It was more like a druggie saying "That was some good s***."

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Wow! I totally misinterpreted. I've gooten SO HOOKED on emoticons. :shock: :lol:

9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Very nice summary of swing music history d nice.

So have you guys started learning lindy? Pygmallian? Vince? When I started I had this tendency to rush about, as that's what I saw a lot of on the dance floor. I would watch out for that!! While it can be fast and whiplike, it can also be a lot more groovy and playful.

I too am trying out many different dances as I hate sitting out, especially when my body just gets into the music and I dig it. Not too easy though as I haven't done even any particular dance for even a year, yet. A lot of unintentional blending of different styles!!

10. bouncybouncyweee

bouncybouncyweee New Member

I so understand you Sagitta! I've only been learning for that amount of time, and for that matter, I haven't taken many lessons. I've just picked it up social dancing and asking the good leaders for help. (Thanks jonathan!) My styles get all mized up, and the different tension in my arms for different danes always 'causes me problems. But I'm constantly being criticised for my WCS being too bouncy, and I don't even know how to Lindy yet! :evil:

And I thank you for the history as well D nice!