Dancers Anonymous > Examples of the Art of Tact..

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by MissAlyssa, Aug 24, 2003.

1. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

Woman says... Gee, wouldn't it be fun to take ballroom lessons? Man thinks... (Yeah, like a root canal) Man Says... I just want to make you happy honey. .

Woman says...You're doing that all wrong! No it's this way. You're not doing what he said! Man thinks... I wouldn't mind the criticism if she'd let me do something long enough to make a mistake! Man says... it's been a long day, I'll practice though (right).

Woman says...How come your lead doesn't feel like his? He thinks...(Duh! He's an 11 year professional, I had 3 lessons!) Man just shrugs.

Woman says...Let's do a competition! Man thinks...(Great, a Bigger room of people to embarrass myself in front of) Man says...Yes Schnuckums.

Woman says...How does this ball gown look? Man thinks... 99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer Man says...Oh that's the one Honey! (Warning on this one, if she says "do you really think so?" then you're in for at least 3 comparisons with gowns she liked)

Man says...Haven't I danced with you somewhere before? Woman says...Yes, that's why I don't dance there anymore! (Thanks Annamol)

2. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

How many of you come across this in your dancing?

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I have NEVER done any of these things. :lol: :lol:

But I have come across them often, especially the "your lead doesn't feel like his." Sheesh. Give the poor guy a chance. He's had two lessons, the instructor's been teaching for 20 years. What do you expect? Fred Astaire?

4. tango

tango New Member

Here's some suggestions

I was lucky and our instructor pointed out right at the beginning that the guys part is much harder at first because he has to lead, listen and navigate. Until you have a good number of lessons under your belt it's a little clunky at first.

However, when my partner and I practice we still argue about who's doing what when. The reward comes when we pull off a new move flawlessly for the first time and we seem to forget we had a problem.

Personally, I find some of that tension between couples beneficial because it can motivate individuals. Especially guys, want something done tell a guy he can't do it. What happens on the dance floor, hockey rink or boxing ring stays there is the best policy.

5. pygmalion

Good policy, tango. Keep the arguments on the dancefloor. :D

A lot of couples -- romantic or otherwise -- can't seem to do that too well. Arguments from non-dance life come onto the dance floor. Arguments from the dance floor spill over into real life. Sad but true, it happens all the time.

And I'm glad your instructor pointed that out at the beginning. A lot of followers don't realize how hard it is to lead. Lots more to think about. All the follower has to do is follow, and make it look good. Both lead and follow have challenges, so why doesn't everybody just work on their own part, and not criticize others?

6. pygmalion

Oh yeah, and I forgot to say this, tango. Thanks for coming back. A lot of people post once or twice, then leave when their issue is resolved. It's good to "see" you back in the forums! :D

Jenn

7. tango

tango New Member

Actually, this seems to be a fairly active group, which maked it easy to post and get replies while I'm still thinking about the issue. Plus as I'm fairly new to dance, I'm picking up some great tips and experiences which should help me out.

8. pygmalion

:D :D :D :D

Thank you for saying that! Please spread the word to your dancing friends. The more people we have like you, participating and asking questions, the more fun it is for all of us. We're glad you're here. :D

9. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Dito on pygmalion's words of truth and welcome to the forum family, tango!

10. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

HALLELUJAH!!!