Dancers Anonymous > Exercise/Diet Support Group

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by dancersdreamland, Jan 4, 2004.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Return to Zumba this morning. Pace was fast and faster, then weight added in the last 20 minutes. Weights no problem, had to work at the pace though.

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

It's a lubricant that they inject into the joint. I think it has a bit of anti-inflammatory something in it, but it's mostly just lubricant. Getting the injection hurts like hell, but it only takes a few moments. I had my first one last May and by September it had worn off. However, the second one I got in September is still working. I'm told that the average is 6-12 months.

I've got to call my insurance provider and see about what happens when I'm ready for another one. I'm afraid that they may not pay for another one. We'll see.

3. 3wishes

Danced with a gent who is 6'8", he realized by the 3rd measure, I knew what I was doing, and well, my strides got really longggggggggggg. Great dancer, but gezzzzz, the old heart rate was right up there, more than a Zumba session. Lol.

4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Trail running, lifting and orange theory Total of 9 hrs a week.

Last trail run 7 miles 500 feet of climb at 7000 feet. 80 minutes. Man altitude running is tough

Weight back to ideal for next Spartan race. Time to up the grip strength. Adding in a ninja gym.

Oh yeah. Still dancing and working :confused:;):)

5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Complete with salmon ladder?

6. Mr 4 styles

They have it. I haven't tried one yet

7. 3wishes

So does fly fishing count as resistance exercise? Lol.

RiseNFall likes this.
  8. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Only if the fish are bigger than you. ;)

Sania, Mr 4 styles and 3wishes like this.
  9. 3wishes

Lol, mm, the arms got a work out casting!!!

10. Mr 4 styles

Did the la luz trail run yesterday. Timed competitive event starting at the base of the Sandia mountains in Albuquerque start at 6210 feet finish at 10,300 feet. Over 4000 feet of climb in 9.2 miles, including large section running over loose rocks and boulders. Cardio butt kicker consistently ranks among hardest trail runs in the US. Took just a bit over 3 hrs. Tired today !!!!

3wishes, cornutt and Purr like this.
  11. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Don't know what I did to my arms yesterday, but whatever it was I did it good; can feel it in my bicep muscles; maybe I'm at the beginning of getting some definition

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  12. 3wishes

Caught onto a great Zumba leader and an amazing Yoga instructor at big box gym near fwy. Because the nearest gym to me closed for a complete renovation.
    I have not been that sore in a long long time. But it was a good "sore"

Sania and Mr 4 styles like this.
  13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I can tell I've lost some weight. :)

The holidays are coming up. In preparation, I signed up for an extra yoga class over November/December. Every little bit helps.

cornutt and Mr 4 styles like this.
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

still working out 4-5 of the 7 days of the week but only for an hour...so I have to make good food choices because that is all there is time for these days

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  15. 3wishes

ok, so the Yogi guy was back...seriously who uses the top of the foot like that! Good Lord....ouch, my arms.

16. wamandance

wamandance New Member

1. Indicate exercise/diet goal
    Practice for at least an hour 4x a week. Go to the gym for an hour 3x a week.
    2. Share plan of action to obtain goal
    I've been doing this for 2 weeks now, but I'm coming to a plateau where my motivation is failing. Somedays I just don't want to go to the gym and see Darla (that's what I have named the stair stepper) or I don't have the discipline to stay and practice rumba walks for an hour.
    3. Update on progress daily (or whenever I have the opportunity to check in)
    My goal is to check in once a week, so hopefully you can keep me honest about my progress, and if anyone has any motivational quotes or videos they'd like to share...I would greatly appreciate that :)

3wishes and RiseNFall like this.
  17. 3wishes

I hit a plateau for 5 months. Added practicing more than just one dance, but my limit was to 30 minutes for 4 dances, after Zumba, yoga or walking 6,000 steps. It didn't allow me to mess up because I had limited time. Sometime I broke up my walking with breaking into choreography then walk again. Change up the stair stepper, so you ambush your body at least every once in awhile. Motivation can waiver, that is human nature. Know what the end game is, better posture? Better balance? Stronger bones? Peace in the body rather than stress related muscle tension, stamina,,,,knowing that helps to maintain your course. We've all been there. Good luck.

flying_backwards likes this.
  18. Mr 4 styles

If you are going to the gym and just using a stair master that gets boring. You need to mix in some interval training. Use rowing as cardio for a total body workout as opposed to stair master which is legs only

Jacobs ladders are good ,stair masters are easy to plateau on

19. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

Truth.

It would be nice if time at the gym were pleasant itself but I only go to improve my fitness for dance. While I do an exercise I hold in my mind what that is for: core strength and core coordination for balance, poise, and power; planks to actually hold upright posture for 90 seconds; butt, leg, and foot strength for softening foxtrot strides, explosive tango strides, and holding 3 at maximum waltz rise while our teacher searches the ends of the universe for the sweet relief of the word "and" so we can lower. The exercises I enjoy for themselves are swimming, foam roller and stretching. I know stretching will help prevent injury and maintain flexibility. And I know the swimming helps keep weight down and stamina up but I just enjoy moving thru the water.

I do not spend much time on the stair climber, treadmill, stationary bikes or elliptical, only enough to warm up. Base cardio I'd rather get from dance. There's ample social dance here that is as calorie-burning as machines and far more fun, and with better music than a zumba class.

3wishes likes this.
  20. 3wishes

My goal right now, is to hold that stupid plank position for 60 seconds at least, without whimpering! Ha!

Purr and wamandance like this.