General Dance Discussion > Exercises For A Stiff Upper Half

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Vince A, Jul 21, 2003.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

When, not if. And yes, I think some including basic exercises is a great idea for beginners.

2. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Great :D :D I'm glad to hear the rib concentration is much easier :D :D . Now, maybe your wife won't laugh at you, and balancing becomes easier. I'm so happy for you that your dancing has taken off. It is such a great feeling when you get out there and you spend your time loving the dance, instead of fighting with your body and mind to dance halfway decent. Just imagine how much fun you'll be having next may!

Yes, YES!! Upper half excersises should be a must not only for the begginer forum but in all classes. I was so disappointed when I changed studios and learned that my first instructor completely neglected to ever suggest exercises nor stress movement on the upper half of my body. My Arms and head motion was always stressed but never any attention to the torso. :cry:

Vince, I have only been in this site for a couple of weeks. And I can't begin to tell you the unbelievable amout of excelent information I read every day. I'm truly shocked!!! All Dancers should make it a must to become members of Dance-Forums.

3. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I sent a PM to the person who is getting the Beginner's Forum together, so that she might possibly add this to it! She agreed!

And, yes, I agree, it needs to also be added at a future date for everyone. You certainly brought out something that is so very true . . . all of my private lessons concentrated on where my head, arms, or feet should be, and very, very little on the torso. I may have been doing it correctly for the level of dance that I was doing, for me not to be corrected. But not according to the videos of myself that I saw!!!

This site IS amazing isn't it? Sometimes there is so much information that all I get done is reading this stuff!

Just keep putting the word out , and maybe many of those dancers will become a member. Why not? It's free, and the info is so worthwhile!

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

That's actually a good and real question Vince. Did everyone here sign up immediately? If not, how long was the dealy and why did you then join when you did? It's also free to just be a guest, so clearly there's more to it then that....

5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I think that just getting them to check us out will win them over. Goota come up with something to get them beyond the "guest" point!

The site offers so much . . .

It is so hard to get the point across that you can improve your dancing just by reading something! Talk about low-cost private lessons!

It does happen an it has happened!

6. SDsalsaguy

Fair enough...but you can also read all the information here for free, so the question remains, what more is there to being a member that the guests are missing and/or missing out on?

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

A ha . . . you sank in that time!

For me, it was the ability to login and be a part of the disussions. I did have something to offer and knew what most were talking about.

And some of the things that I read about, I wanted to learn more, so there was no choice . . . join or not be able to add my 2 cents . . .

8. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I saw salsa as on of the forums and I was all over it like flies on...

Well, interesting question...

Non-Members are missing.
    1- The Humbleness of the members.
    2- Members willingness to help.
    3- No sexual material irrelevant to the topics.
    4- NO SEXUAL MATERIAL, did I mention this already?
    5- This site isn't a meat market.
    6- Not only do we get to share our thoughts but learn about the passion other dancers share with you.
    7- Everyone makes you feel like you are part of a family. My licenese is soon to read as my name, borikenSalsero Dance Forums.
    8- Interchanging ideas, debating at a mature level.
    9- Exposure to other dances which haven't been part of your life.
    10- Love for DANCE!!! :mrgreen:

And...... workday? what workday? Is it 5PM already? :shock:

9. pygmalion

I signed up immediately, but it was coincidental. There was an active topic on the table that I felt I could contribute something to, the first time I logged in. Really, if I had taken time to browse around before jumping in, I might have felt intimidated. But I didn't know who I was dealing with, so I just threw my two cents worth in there.

And, incidentally, I didn't start really participating super actively until a new member came in with a dance/emotional question. The way everybody jumped in to rally around that person just won me over. When I read some of the responses in that thread, I thought ,"this is a group of super-nice, super-helpful and caring people. I'm in!"

That's when I really jumped in.

10. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

603 posts . . . I'll say you jumped in!

We are fortunate to have you here with us . . .

Vince

11. SDsalsaguy

thats why she won the "Rapid Rise to Royalty Award!"...and why she deserves to keep it, even with the new ranking system :D

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I'll down a Margarita or two to that!!!

13. d nice

d nice New Member

Well in the case of WCS it is because it is wrong. *shrug* you have the ability to change the flavor and character of a dance up to a point, but the motion being discussed here is actually contrary to the kind of movement wcs is all about.

The idea that wcs is pattern dominated and not strength/character of movement is ludicrous. You can look at any wcs champion (assuming we are talking in the competition world, though I can point out lots of amazing social dancers) who execute little in the way of intricate patterns but dominate the dance floor and competitions because of their movement while dancing.

14. pygmalion

Thanks, guys! :D :D

15. d nice

d nice New Member

That is not to say that you shouldn't practice this kind of movement... it certainly will benefit your body awareness and improve your ability to isolate... but using it in swing is counterproductive if you are doing it in a non-ballroom style.

Personally I don't think contemporary jazz or lyrical for that fact really have much to offer for isolation... at least in comparison to latin dances, hip hop, belly dancing or vernacular jazz.

A non "dance" form that is great with flexibility and "soft strength" instead of "stiffness" is tai chi. Actually a lot of martial arts do this.

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

d nice,
    Great catch . . . I certanly didn't read it thorough the first time. Although I apprciate what they contributed for my Cha Cha and Salsa dancing!

You are so absolutely right. Good WCS dancing is not about patterns . . . IT IS pure strength/character of the movement . . . and can look absolutely breathtaking doing nothing more than the basics. Some of the best dances come from basics and hanging out there and playing for 8, 16, 24 counts - if you are counting! If you "hear" the music, even better!

Playing to the music is what it is all about, not learning and memorizing patterns, and then trying to make them fit into the music. It's better to make what you do look like it belongs to that music.

17. SDsalsaguy

Tai Chi is probably king in this department...but Aikido principles, especially those of blending weight and motion, are also very in sync with dancing as well.

18. msc

msc New Member

Well, we'll just have to disagree on this one, fellas.

19. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

:shock: Imma have to stop following my brother around and making fun of him when he is doing Tai Chi and join him instead. Never did I ever think of it to help my dancing. God, that one went right over my head.

20. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Hey Vince,
    I was at home the other day doing upper body exersices and thought of you. How is your upper half coming along?