Salsa > Eye Contact

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by brujo, Nov 1, 2003.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

?? Strabismus isn´t quite helpful. You always have to deal with two dance partners.

chomsky likes this.
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

not all strabismic patients have diplopia...just sayin:cool:

opendoor likes this.
  3. Dufus

Dufus New Member

Hi. That link doesn't work.

4. princeghana

princeghana New Member

Mmmmmm, eye contact, is good anyway and is part of the fun, it put u in the mood to feel the dance especially when you get it in return, it makes you wanna dance more, but too much of it is weird, lol

chomsky likes this.
  5. Jamal

Jamal New Member

Sometimes it's hard to make eye contact when you're focused on the steps

6. Chr0n

Chr0n Member

I don't quite see the problem with that. Just politely say that you're just here for the dance and move on. As long as neither of you makes it awkward it really isn't a problem.

Imbrace likes this.
  7. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Two dance teachers:eek:ne does make eye contact the other doesn't. I guess anything goes: both of them are expressive...

8. Starr

Starr New Member

My instructor demanded eye contact.

9. Don Silver

Don Silver Member

In my mind it should be a like a decent conversation with someone you like. Few stare 100% of the time while talking with someone else. Look for a while, then look away, with more looking than not.

If the concept of staring into a strangers eyes is an issue for you, then look at their forehead or ear, and smile a little. The bigger point is that looking at each other is part of the visual connection. Not the only connection, but certainly something you want to do more than less when starting out.

People that have danced for years get away with all sorts of stuff. Some of their bad habits just become "that's what they do..."

tangotime likes this.
  10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

the link is >10 years old...

11. manteca

manteca Member

Some people think Eye Contact means staring unblinkingly and uncomfortably at each other. Very funny, since many times it makes things even worse, and makes future eye contact even more painful. :)

12. justforkix

justforkix New Member

Salsa is all about eye contact according to me. coz you have to watch every single step of your partner. If you dn't have any eye contact with your dance partner then you were not able to do dance properly or your partner will do some other step and you do some other one.

13. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Well-Known Member

My connection seems to be greatest with social dancers who don't try to compete with themselves. I smile and make eye contact most with them. Newcomers don't meet my eyes, they're lost in thought, and then the big ego dancers don't make eye contact. lol It makes the dance better!

14. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I started making eye contact with my first pro and it was thanks to my second pro!!!

15. DanceSport India

DanceSport India New Member

Well its best to make eye contact unless you would rather have the attention else where :)

16. maxcinevanwyk

maxcinevanwyk New Member

My personal point of view about keeping eye contact is important due to the intimacy between the two dancing partners. When there remains eye contact there will be an easy understanding between the two dancers.Where the audience are able to see that the partners performing has chemistry and has rehearsed well.

Imbrace and chomsky like this.
  17. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

There is a much more important reason why eye contact is important ( particularly for the lady ) .There are 2 types of " lead " in Latin.. Physical and Visual. Anything else, is a by product .

18. learntodance

learntodance New Member

Keeping eye contact help stay focused between partners especially during contests and difficult competitions. There is nothing strange in it: just keep practicing a lot.

chomsky likes this.
  19. Imbrace

Imbrace Member

Is there a difference in the advantage of eye contact between salsa and AT?

20. Malena

Malena New Member

As a social AT follower there's not much of an advantage to maintaining eye contact with the leader. Unless I want him to crash into other couples as we're travelling round the room. The position of heads in close embrace doesn't really allow for it and I've seen most followers close their eyes anyway - it's pretty intense stuff anyway without staring at someone.

Of course it would be different in show tango where a lot of the selling point is on storytelling and drama.

As for the little salsa I know about - the 'hold' is so much more open and the dance doesn't travel, so there is no need for the lead to keep his 'eyes on the road' as it were. Because there is some distance between the dancers, eye contact should feel quite natural (and allow dancers to take in their surroundings too), and not as 'in your face' as the tango embrace would be.