Ballroom Dance > fake tan and make up again

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Kitty, Dec 28, 2005.

1. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this. They look great, last just long enough, and are easy to get off.

2. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I thought I would throw this up in here... I recently bought a bulk pack of these eyelashes. I usually wear very 'conservative' fake lashes (sometimes only the wings). But i was feeling daring one day and decided to really go for it and buy this super big ones.

I put them on and my husband took one look and was "WOA that's ridiculous!!!" hahahah too ridiculous for ballroom? Didn't know that was possible. I actually could barely see out of these suckers (maybe that would make me a better follower....). Anyway I had to trim them quite a bit (especially towards the inner corners). From far they ended up alright but i'll have to trim all the pairs LOL

3. rels77

rels77 Active Member

Third here! Kiss impression nails. Just google them- you can actually buy a ton of different kinds on Amazon. They come in a small rectangular pack- red and clear. I love them because I can put them on in about 2 minutes flat, often after I get dressed- and they stay on all day and don't tear up my nails removing them. I now sometimes wear them in real life too - and they can last about 5 days ... Just the sticky tabs. No glue

4. SwingingAlong

SwingingAlong Well-Known Member

I'm interested to know if many people wear their own nails, rather than fake ones. Are fake nails a requirement for competition, or does it depend on how long your natural nails are?

5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

BAck to fake tan: does anyone with white-white skin have experience with a good spray-tan from an airbrush tanner? I tried Beach Bum once, and it was an Oompa Loompa disaster. Need something else. TIA

RiseNFall likes this.
  6. bia

bia Well-Known Member

I wear my own nails, grown longish, though I've never managed long long. I like the Sally Hansen nail polish strips -- the only way I can do a French manicure on myself that looks good enough. That said, I dance syllabus standard; I could imagine that if I danced open and/or latin, I might feel the need for more dramatic nails. But so far, so good.

7. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I have my own nails, with either a French mani done at a salon or a neutral gel polish.

8. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Are you looking for a spray can to use at home or a place to go and get an airbrush tan?

For at home, I love the body drench quick tan. It's got a nice bronzer in it and even though I'm white-white, it gives me a nice glow that doesn't look horribly orange. Plus, the bronzer lets you see where you have applied it already! I used to use just a couple coats of quick tan, but now I do one coat of quick tan and then I put aery jo on top (because the color of that is fantastic and hides my blemished skin).

As far as professional airbrush tan, I bought a groupon one year and treated myself to an airbrush tan for nationals. The brand of tanner used was "infinity sun". I had to tell the girl I wanted extra crazy dark (and showed her a picture of a dancer so she could see that I really meant it) and it took like 45 minutes to dry (should've waited more time in between coats!) but it was the best tan I've ever gotten. Most even, most natural, and was so hassle free!

j_alexandra likes this.
  9. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I wear my own. When I'm only dancing standard, I may grow them out... but they won't be long this weekend at my biggest comp of the year where I'll be dancing open, and I don't care. They'll be groomed and painted, but the actual nails will only go to the end of my fingers. (Caveat: I do have a long nail bed, so they tend to wear colour pretty well, even when short.)

I do try to grow them out for 3-4 weeks when I know I'll be competing in latin, because I feel it enhances the line.

I will not do fake nails, because they drive me crazy, and I can't imagine tackling hair, false eyelashes and putting in contacts with them.

10. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

My struggle with tanning - I'm about the colour of a sheet of paper. Just one coat has never worked well. Even just for standard. Drugstore stuff just doesn't cut it, no matter how many coats I layer on.

I get okay results for standard from a versa level 2 (level 3 doesn't come out any darker and just ends up splotchy) but my best results ever have been from 2 coats of competition colour applied a day apart, with a topper of the spray-on versa stuff.

So for this weekend (competing Sat), it will be:
    - one coat competition colour Wednesday eve - whole body
    - one coat competition colour Thurs night - as I'm dancing standard only, I may get away with upper body only for this coat
    - one light spray coat (if required) Fri night - whole body
    - probably a little shimmer bronzer on back and arms on Sat just before I get dressed.

This way, I get good coverage, don't turn orange, and have enough time for a third coat if needed. Thankfully, I live alone and can randomly wander around my house doing things while I wait for my tan to dry!

11. sbrnsmith

I don't know if this belongs in the fishnets thread- but as someone who has a natural tan- I do not wear fishnets. Is the leg/body make up that can be sprayed on or dabbed on, and conceals flaws equivalent to wearing fishnets- because the goal is to make legs look smooth and flawless right? I can get that effect from spray on Sally Hansen or Dermablend makeup- some of this stuff is strong enough to be adequate to conceal tattoos- so I figure it conceals any possible flaws

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

that being said ...there are judges who want to see hose no matter how good your legs look....just a thing to bear in mind

s2k likes this.
  13. sbrnsmith

I get that- and that's why I'm asking the question- what is it about hose? Is it less jiggle, more smooth? I have asked pro and other competitors and a couple of judges, and I'm not getting a consensus opinion

14. fascination

the judges that I have heard speak on it have certainly said all of the things that you would expect in terms of those who may NEED to wear hose, either due to loose skin or other aesthetic issues with the leg, but there are those who also simply feel that it is a neccessary part of completing the costume and looking fully put together....like wearing a belt even if your pants are in no danger of falling down....I have heard the same thing about leaving the back of the hair down for latin from some....they just want it up...they feel it looks more put together and shows the neck line better.....same with hose, no matter how good your legs look, they look better in hose....obviously, plenty of us have gone ahead and not done some of those things and done just fine...but I am aware that there are more than a few judges out there that feel a certain kind of way about it...does it trump the dancing? I doubt it....but, it certainly can't hurt to bear it in mind

15. sbrnsmith

I agree with you and thanks for the input- I just wish the expectations were clear and concise instead of waffling around which is what I got, when I tried to get a definitive answer to the eternal question- hose or no hose

16. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

The definitive answer is that no judge will be disapprove if you wear them, some will if you do not.

17. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

And some comps require the fishnets too. Looking at you, NDCA nationals (Provo).

Miss Silly likes this.
  18. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Well-Known Member

This is all good to know. I dislike wearing hose LOL but I get why many judges would feel it's important, and it's good to read those points again... in fact i'll probably keep some in my dance stuff for away comps where I don't know what the preference seems to be (just in case).

19. fascination

I hear you...I would far prefer to go without(primarily due to world's smallest bladder), but I feel that anything I can do not to offend is a good thing

Miss Silly likes this.
  20. sbrnsmith

Any suggestions on intense black eyeliner that won't smudge or fade?