Salsa > Faking it...

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Pacion, Dec 16, 2004.

1. tacad

tacad New Member

My style depends on the music and lady as well. Sensual is awesome. I haven't found many women able to really pull that off. Great when it happens. Love that coy look. I enjoy a push-pull type of dance. Look at each other, look away, a whole bunch of tension between us as though neither partner is willing to give in and the tension keeps building and changing and buliding.

So Miss BrookeErin, is tension good for you?

2. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

sure 8)

Why so interested? Planning a trip to Indy soon?

3. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol: Oh, you're good! I am interested because you are interesting. And I like interesting people. And if she happens to be a gorgeous redhead who does salsa and likes to play on DF, so much the better.

Hmmm. Indiana...

4. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

5. tacad

tacad New Member

Ignoring that untimely interruption :lol: , BrookeErin, here is why you are interesting (in a good way). Your avatar is you having a good, fun time and at the same time quite sexy. Putting it up was bold. Your posts have been playful and intelligent. What really got me going is you not settling for something less than you deserve. If a guy doesn't have the courage to talk to you he is not worth your time. Not in an arrogant way, but self-esteem. That makes you very attractive. And of course this quote: "oh, honey, that's not flirting :wink: You gotta try harder than that..." was mischeivous, confident, playful, and daring. And that was it! I had to move.

See you around DF :wink: !

6. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

Thank you. But how is the avator bold? Most people aroud here have an avatar... I'm just blessed that our salsa community seems to take pictures fairly often.

7. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Back to the original thread for a minute, kids :wink: .........

Yes, Pacion. Excellent question. I've been contemplating a couple of issues lately (though not directly relating to being a 'fake')...........

I know some veteran salsa legends who have solid 'street-cred' but don't know a thing about some of the things we talk about here at DF (ie. anything congress, the on1/on2 camps amongst other things), nor do they care.......

While there are also people who can quote 'catch phrases' ( :wink: ) left, right and centre while you converse, but when it come time to show true flave, no one is home :roll: ..........

Makes you wonder sometimes :? ..........

8. tacad

tacad New Member

An avatar is some kind of representation of the person. By your avatar we know that you are fun and sexy. This is part of how we identify you. Backed up by your posts. Some people walk into a room and try to melt into the background. You are not trying to be invisible. You are here and a presence. Your avatar is part of that. Anyway that is what I was thinking.

9. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

good point.... as a counselor, I try to be pretty aware of my public persona. I'm a part of another board which is private, so I didn't really think about posting a pic or anything else. I have no shame about my dancer lifestyle, but perhaps I should consult my inner censor before posting.... :?

10. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

It's just a crossbody lead.

11. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

sorry - just catching up to this thread . . .

I second!

12. tacad

tacad New Member

Uhhh. Not now. Too cold! Too much snow!

Actually it was a bit cold in LA today. I even had to put on my light jacket over my T-shirt for a bit! :wink:

Are you and everybody ok over there?

13. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

well, it's above freezing in the daylight. Where I am, they've cleared the snow off the major roads, but some of the other interstates are having problems.

14. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Hmm. I can answer all these questions with a pretty strong "Well, I do!" but I'm not to be considered a good salsa dancer or anything. I'm such a newbie (only 9 months of salsa, only 1h per week! :shock: ) and you can count the moves/patterns I know using just your fingers (toes not included :lol: ) but I'm willing to learn! What does that make me?

Twilight Elena

15. azzey

azzey Member

.. and partner change? Normally you'd just do a Dile Que No then move into an open hand-hold and perform the next move called or a Guapea basic step. If the caller shouted Dile Que No when you are already in open position then you might change partners *and* do the Dile Que No with your new partner.

Mr. Picky.

Are we faking it today? :wink:

16. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Well, since the Dile Que No "isn't" called in most cases, the "partner change" is just a "given" depending on the move. And to get really technical, the "actual partner change call" is "Dame".

17. azzey

azzey Member

Agreed. Your original post seemed to suggest the partner change was *after* the dile que no, i.e. dile que no then partner change - i.e. an additional Dame.

18. africana

africana New Member

interesting thread! faking it huh? I'm assuming Pacion was sorta questioning people's dancing abilities versus talk/bragging - which is not quite the same as transmitting information (e.g. from internet research) to anwer some question, which anyone can do right?
    Although it's pretty easy to misrepresent oneself or portray a different image than what actually is...but words are so imprecise that personally, I mostly choose to suspend my belief ;) until such a time as my eyes witness the truth :twisted:

So yeah I'm with youngsta/tj/vin let's have DFers certify everyone :lol: just kidding! though I admit to being curious about some (except youngsta, Beto, meagalita, TICA, Big10, and a couple more whom I've seen in action ;0 )

19. Salsablaster

Salsablaster New Member

Also you can do a " Dile que No " with a " Coca-Cola " when dancing One-on-One .

"Coca-Cola" is another cuban style turn, the girl tends to turn from right to left grabbing left hand partner and girl with the right hand after doing "Dile Que No".

20. azzey

azzey Member

Your quote is not from me, it's from Peachexploration. :lol: