Tango Argentino > Famous people who tango?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Light Sleeper, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Just a bit of frivolity

Who do you know of who dances tango as a hobby?

I can think of Clive James (wish he were Prime Minister) and I think Joeley Richardson learnt to tango for an episode of Nip/Tuck (don't know whether she took it up though).

And - for a further bit of frivolity: Who would your fantasy tango partner be (excluding professional tango dancers)... Hmm, think mine would be Bryan Ferry because he's so suave! :)

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

3. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Yes, and TN seems quite down to earth (for a Hollywood star).

4. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I think I read that Robert de Niro does tango.

5. kieronneedscake

kieronneedscake New Member

I wonder if there are any famous closet tango dancers, who dare not admit their addiction!

6. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

There are many others, including; Arnold Schwarznegger, Jamie Lee Curtis, Tia Carrera, and me...OK, not so famous, but, hey... [​IMG]

7. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Raging Voleo! :D

8. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

So do they have special 'famous people' milongas? ;)

9. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

:) And one would presume that the tango community aren't the type to go blabbing to the tabloids so they can exercise their addiction with alacrity... either that or they go to the Priory ;-)

10. Angel HI

Actually, a few years ago, my partner and I were in North Hollywood where we went to eat at a Hole-in-the-Wall on some corner of an indescript neighborhood. When we entered, we found shabby lighting, picnic style tables, a fair amount of noise, 2 bands (one playing only lambadas and the other only Arg. Tangos...alternatively every half hour). We also found the place to be crowded with celebs; stars, directors, writers, producers. After dancing, we were invited to one director's table, and subsequently offered a dancing role in a movie project. Unfortunately, this was on sat., they were filming on mon., but we had prior obligations across the country on tues., and had to decline.

11. Light Sleeper

Light Sleeper New Member

Wow! I take it you weren't expecting to even have a band to dance to?

12. Angel HI

Well, we were told to go there. We were anticipating the band and the music, just not the ambiance or celebs, and, certainly, not being offerred a role. It was a fun eve.

13. MaggieB

MaggieB New Member

He does... he lives in northern Virginia and has renovated his stables into a gorgeous ballroom that was featured a few years back in Architectural Digest.
    Some of our tango community have been privleged enough to have been invited to dance there, but alas it was "before my time". I understand that he does not have as many milongas as he once had having caught some friction from his neighbors or something regarding them...what a shame.... it would have been fun.

14. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

wonderful story angel made up :)

15. Angel HI

Made up?

Did I miss the memo? Is today "Dump On Angel Day"? I was just sharing a fun night in CA in response to milongas involving celebs, etc. [​IMG]

16. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

And one band was playing beats and the other playing their notes :uplaugh:. he he!

17. Angel HI

Yeah, I'm catching it today from everywhere. [​IMG]

18. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

er... hello angel. did you also meet arnold schwarzenegger in the secret tango c(oncl)ave? ;)

19. Angel HI

Nope. He did visit our gym in Lahaina several times, but I've never met him. ???

20. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Robert Duval , also-- he married his balroom teacher !!--- they split a couple of yrs back-- he,s a regular visitor to argentina .