Dancers Anonymous > Fashion

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by mamboqueen, Jul 19, 2006.

1. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

So, I was flipping through the latest edition of In Style Magazine, and lo and behold, leggings are back. Now, I understand everyone has their own taste, and I don't mean to insult...but whose BRIGHT idea was this? They were awful in the 80's....someone thinks they're going to suddenly look better now??? The fashion critics have been panning Lindsay Lohan for about 2 years (apparently she's ahead of the fashion trends) for wearing leggings...and the designers still decide to recycle them. Of all things to bring back....and it's mind boggling that they can make millions of dollars off someone else's old/bad ideas.

Or maybe it's just the fact that I've already seen the look (and wore it...have the pictures and they make me gag even more than my dance videos). Maybe our younger set will embrace them (and gag in 20 years? *LOL*).

Anyway, just thought it might be fun to discuss the latest trends in fashion and what we like and don't like.

2. squirrel

squirrel New Member

What exactly are leggings?

3. mamboqueen

4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I think I'll take a pass on the legging trend. I wasn't that fond of it the first time around.

5. mamboqueen

The other bad thing about leggings is I'd wear them all winter long and in the spring wonder why I couldn't fit into my shorts. They're just an invitation to free reign on eating.

Leggings should be pajamas. Nothing more. Blech....

1 person likes this.
  6. mamboqueen

Here's another interesting fashion trend:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2902355...Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2378402&P=1

Now, if I was a marketing person, I'd be asking myself "hmmm....given that 10% of the population will actually look good in these, should we mass produce them??"

Sheesh....I'm not ready to say good-bye to boot cut and flared pants (which they seem to make styles for a vast amount of body types...they worked well). I guess I"m going to be bucking a lot of trends this year!

(Oh, and if you haven't been fortunate enough to have worn these jeans in the past....you'll need to lie down on the bed to get them on!)

Much better:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2899963...25~2384814&SourceID=1&SlotID=1&origin=related

Okay, and they're on sale for $112. Marvy. I'll take 5 -- my family can get by without food this month.

7. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

But these jeans are designed by Chip and Pepper. They're twins and are stylists to the stars. (Seriously)

Your kids will understand when you can't buy groceries.

8. Merrylegs

My motto: If you wore it the first time it was in style, you can't wear it the second time around.

Also, big, teased hair IS making a comeback. I'm pretty psyched about it actually. I've been holding on to my Paul Mitchell Freeze and Shine hairspray for about 15 years, it's ready for when I need it.

9. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Leggings are big at my dance scene. We're swarmed by those model-like women that have really thin legs and they keep wearing clothes that say "Look! I'm thin! I'm anorexic, and yet I'm worshipped! I am SO the best dancer in here!"
    I like leggings, sort of, if you think of a good combo. But I'm not crazy for them. They make me look fat, surprise of ALL surprises. I'm NOT fat. Yet I have to wear XL jeans. That makes me feel fat.
    I mean, seriously. MQ, tell them my measurements. I'm a goddess by my measurements! *frantic*

T_E

10. mamboqueen

You do have great measurements (smaller waist than me, but the other two are pretty much the same). Leggings as "dancewear" may be more acceptable -- like leg warmers. Dancers have worn leggings forever. Maybe we're to blame for the look to begin with! Ack!

Now I feel like I gotta go and rent Flashdance.

ML - this means that the salons that do perms will be making a big comeback. I can smell the chemicals already...

I agree with your motto...although I broke the rule and wore flared pants. Not quite as flared as the 70's though.

11. Twilight_Elena

I think dancers invented many cool things that then became ugly fashion trends. Legwarmers, leggings, ballerina shoes...

T_E

12. Twilight_Elena

And, for the record, I'm not trying to say I'm gorgeous. But I do think my body shouldn't be an XL.

T_E

13. Merrylegs

Just use a crimping iron and a hairdryer with the airflow pointed up when spraying the Aquanet. You'll get some amazing results.

:artsy:

14. LXC

LXC New Member

if i'm not mistaken, alessia betti wore legging under her costume last year. maybe this will be a trend for dancesport as well

15. Tanguera

Tanguera New Member

No, they did not skip Europe :)

16. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

I like leggings. They are comfortable because they are stretchy and can be worn with big shirts. But I can live without the belt.

But the tight jeans, they look horrible. I bet they are very uncomfortable and bad for your body (especailly your digestion system if you have a job that requires you to sit a whole day).

1 person likes this.
  17. mamboqueen

Leggings are definitely comfortable. Too comfortable, in fact. Like I said, I'd put on an extra 10 lbs. and not notice until I had to wear something that snapped at the waist.

Tight jeans=forced anorexia. I like to breathe.

18. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me? There's no way in h-e-double hockey sticks that I'd be able to squeeze myself into a pair of those friggin' jeans. Extra skinny? Low Rise? Blech!

1 person likes this.
  19. mamboqueen

I don't even think they even look good on the model -- make her look bow legged. Like *I* need that kinda help!

20. SexyMan2Cha

SexyMan2Cha New Member

Leggings, god no... I was just a young boy when huge women were wearing those and still have nightmares.

1 person likes this.