General Dance Discussion > Favorite Dance?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by danceguy, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Joy In Motion

Joy In Motion Active Member

JazzHop,

There is no single dance that is best for someone coming from the solo world. It is highly individual, as you can see from the variety of responses coming from DFers.

My advice would be to go to a few local social dances for west coast swing, salsa, Argentine tango, ballroom, etc. and see which one feels right to you. Think about how much you enjoy the music, the balance between freedom and structure in the dance, and the people and the atmosphere. You will most likely stick with it if it is something you really feel drawn to. Who knows, you may decide that several of them interest you. Some dancers are very exclusive with their particular style of dance, while others like to dabble a bit in several or all of them. It really depends on your background, personality, and interest level. But how fun that partner dancing is totally open to you for exploration!

Enjoy!

2. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Joy in Motion: This is a great answer! I never thought about it in this way, but looking back when I was first starting, the Lindy Hop scene in my area got me hooked; whereas the salsa one did not. As years passed, and became a very good Swing dancer, I had at least a few dances under my belt when I expanded to others like Smooth, Rhythm, International, and Country. I never expected to like Latin and Rhythm (besides Swing), but I did--finding that Smooth spoke to me most directly. And Mambo became one of my best dances...

3. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

I enjoy most of the ballroom dances, but I don't really have a favorite among them. I also do West Coast Swing, and enjoy it very much. And I do a lot of folk dance, both partnered and non-partnered. But my favorite partnered dance is, by a wide margin, Mezőségi -- a Hungarian dance. On the rare occasions when a Hungarian band is in the area, or when I'm at a Hungarian dance camp, dancing it to live music for 30-45 minutes straight is incredible. Even just as a 10-minute warmup at the beginning of Hungarian dance class is wonderful. It isn't terribly complex ... I know more patterns in most of the ballroom dances, but it has a quality that makes it comfortable ... energized yet relaxed ... to dance continuously without getting bored.

4. KL70

KL70 New Member

What are currently your 3 favorite dance styles and why ?

What are currently your 3 personal favorite dance styles and please separately say why, for each fave style named.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

smooth and latin...afterthant is depends on the mood

adore smooth for the independence and expression and lines, and latin I just find sensual...

I enjoy standard in the studio for the cooperation that is so essential, and rhythm for the opportunity to simply enjoy it...so those two depend upon my mood

6. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Hmm...

Waltz, number one. Always.
    Viennese Waltz.
    Quickstep
    New Vogue - Foxtrot Rhythm
    New Vogue - Tango Rhythm

7. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Waltz, Samba, and Bolero... Big reason is the music...

8. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

latin, ballroom and rhythm

9. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

AT!!!

...wcs, ecs...

10. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Smooth, Standard, and ballet.

11. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

American smooth - graceful, looks like my concept of ballroom dancing.
    American rhythm - prolly cause that's what I've been taught.
    Club dances like bachata - these are the "fun" dances - not as much emphasis on style and form IME and one can improvise more.

I must admit though that Standard tango looks interesting but DP wants me to curb my enthusiasm until we get Silver Am FT, W, and VW down better.

12. Debra

Debra Member

Standard, standard and hustle; what can I say, I am a child of the '70s. I love standard for the precision and beauty, as well as the communication required of the partners.

13. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

for me: AT (all styles, depending on the music)

---

But, can you tell me the differences in those styles..

ballroom - smooth - rhythm - standard - latin

Over here (Germany) we have (as far as I know) only standard and latin, which makes together ballroom.

14. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

Standard, standard and smooth.

15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Latin, and then I suppose Rhythm, and probably Smooth. I like the music.

16. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Hustle because it's so fun and the smooth feel, twirl that girl :mrgreen:

Latin, especially Cha-Cha's playfulness and Rumba's expressiveness and sensuality.

Standard - especially love Foxtrot for its elegance and communication, Waltz for its beauty and Tango, because it brings out my Inner Panther :mrgreen:

17. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Smooth and rhythm are the American style counterparts to International Standard and Latin. American style allows partners to break body contact. (Aber it took me drei Jahre to realize that... :oops:)

18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

As far as styles: American Rhythm, American Smooth, and International Latin. Why? Because as far as ballroom education, these were the ones that I was exposed to the most during my "formative stages". And along with club dances, the American styles are a big part of my social dancing..

:)

19. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

rhythm tap
    ballet
    salsa

20. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

Standard
    Have always loved watching it. Currently enjoying the process of studying it. But my experience in it is quite limited. This might change as I learn more, but I hope not :)

Latin
    It was the first style I learned and the one I have most experience with. Truthfully, I had no interest in it when I started, but it's grown on me over the years.

Smooth
    Not quite Standard, but close enough. (Involves a ball gown.) Just starting to learn it. Maybe it will overtake Standard or Latin in the future.