General Dance Discussion > Favorite Dance?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by danceguy, Nov 25, 2003.

1. ireniecat

ireniecat New Member

:banana:

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Re: styles

Thanks for these informations! But, is there a book of rules or an organisation for these american styles, or is it free developing? What is the relationship between international and american?

3. someoldsong

someoldsong New Member

I enjoy mostly swing, whether it be shag or west coast.

I also like smooth but its nowhere near my forte.

4. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yes, ISTD and other organizations have syllabi for American. They're competed as separate but (nominally) equal divisions at most US ballroom competitions with Latin and Standard (unlike, say, the non-ECS swing dances, AT, etc. which aren't.)

5. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

I've been told, and I do not know how accurate this is, that American style has its roots in IS. Arthur Murray / Fred Astaire / etc studios modified IS to appeal to an American market. Some say that the FAs and AMs made the American style simpler / easier to learn because they believed IS would be too difficult to sell to social dancers here.

That is plausible from a marketing viewpoint, I guess. I do not want to restart the AS vs IS debate however.

6. danceronice

I have been told that American style largely started with the franchises, and it mostly grew out of wanting a more social style. I think almost all the dances are related to International in one way or another, but it's been so long they've developed their own vernacular.

7. someoldsong

someoldsong New Member

Fred Astaire and Arthur Murray syllabi are very similar in patterns and explanations. I teach FA, and the cool part is we have both american smooth and rythm and international standard and latin so even if our american sylabus is a modified standard we also teach traditional standard aswell

8. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

American is not modified standard. It did start out with Arthur Murray trying to figure out ways to teach ballroom that anyone could learn. However, at the time, International style hadn't been standardized, either; that came out of parallel British attempts to standardize the ballroom syllabus. If you count ballroom dance in the U.S. before Arthur Murray as "American", then International style developed originally from American style for the most part, as both the slow waltz and the foxtrot originated on the west side of the Atlantic.

Certainly since then there may have been influence in both directions.

9. someoldsong

someoldsong New Member

Yeah, I never thought about it like that. I didnt know and thats why I didnt speculate. I know for the most part the backgrounds of the dances themselves but never really thought about the origin of the style. pretty neat

10. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

So that means, American style is wider and more flexible than the international style. Another question: the international syllabus is fixed, but what about the american styles, are they free developing or are they fixed, too. (You know I am a tango dancer and developing for me means, everything is in progress, tomorrow it will look different than it does today: simply a social street dance)

11. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

+1...

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

WCS, Cha Cha, Rumba. All I can say is that I just love those dances. A perfect fit for me.

13. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Those are all good ones...

14. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

That's interesting information. It makes sense...

15. major swing

major swing Member

fast swing jiving........... (not the slow "cindy hop" thats taken over in uk!!!)
    balboa.... for the technicall aspects and the challenge
    waltz....... for the elegance and style..............

re waltz, new years eve saw us dressed pure thirties, me in a thirties band leader tail coat white gloves and white bow, missus in a ball gown, we loved it!

16. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

I understand that West Coast Swing is becoming more popular over there MS?

Does anyone still do the Lambeth Walk?

17. major swing

major swing Member

tha lambeth walk gets requested at every dance i dj!!!
    along with the palais glide, st bernards waltz, barn dance,gay gordon.......
    always nice to see the floor full of folks doing the old stuff as well as swinging out..

west coast swing isnt big on our scene, unless wcs is just slow lindy???
    a lot of lindy dances do really slow lindy, nothing like the old lindy from back
    back in the day. charleston is also very popular, quite a bit of partner charleston going on.....

18. LCbaseball22

LCbaseball22 Member

In order from most to least favorite-

West Coast Swing
    Cha-Cha-Cha
    Tango
    East Coast Swing
    Waltz
    Rumba
    Night Club 2 Step
    Samba
    Foxtrot
    Salsa

Would really like to see a thread with a poll though where you just vote for your absolute favorite or maybe top 2 or 3 to see if there's an agreed upon fav or whatever...and maybe one that could show differences in demographic choices (ie gender) Forgive me, a bit obsessed with statistics :p

19. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

UPDATED TO THE PRESENT DAY:

Love: :grin:

EC Swing
    Hustle
    Cha-Cha
    Salsa
    Foxtrot
    Rhumba
    Tango
    Waltz

Struggling With Some, But Determined to Get: :???:

West Coast Swing
    Two-Step

Can Be Persuaded to Learn

Samba

Cannot Stand: :evil:

Quickstep (Way too corny and Lawrence Welk for me)
    Meringue
    Line Dancing in general

20. danceronice

Updating myself:

Love (regardless of proficiency):

Cha Cha
    Samba
    Paso Doble
    Quickstep
    American Foxtrot
    American Waltz