General Dance Discussion > Favorite Moves Anyone?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Phil Owl, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

This is a Hustle move I've always loved, takes a bit of practice but it looks so cool:

Two Hand Continuous Turn (or Touch and Go):

On the "touch and go" the leader holds the girl's right hand with his right and the girls' left with his left. Right hands are placed over left hands.This is the initial position. After that, the leader turns the girl clockwise by lifting both hands. When girl has turned half way, the left hand is released to allow her to go all the way around. When girl has turned a full 360, the left hands touch momentarily as though to give her momentum for the next turn. Thus "touch and go". On the last turn the left hands reconnect at the end. Final position -> left hands over right hands.

Anyone else havea favorite move you'd like to share?

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Re: Favortie Moves Anyone?

FYI, this same thing is used in salsa....sometimes for multiple spins before completion.

3. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Here are some moves I really enjoy doing/practicing:

Samba Rolls with the right hands joined overhead
    Pivot Turns
    Tango - Spanish Drag

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

All of my WCS moves are my favorites . . . that's why I do them. They are all leadable! I use most in Jack and Jills - knowing that some followers will miss the lead or part of the lead - and that's my fault!
    Plus . . .
    Dips (any)
    Rag Doll
    Run arounds - where you wrap and launch the follower into multiple turns in place as I hang on, drop down to a low position and use my right extended leg like an outrigger on a "Hobie"
    Hi-Jack moves by the follower, then I can take the lead back and put them into well-known moves, but go one step further by backing out of the move, which really catches them off guard. It's all done in good taste and for fun. It always is and always will be playtime on the floor if they are dancing with me.
    Slides
    Any sexy move that brings a smile to the face of a female follower.

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Half moons I use in cha-cha and salsa; more so in cha-cha as I find it hard to do it with turns in salsa.

Continuous tuck turn in swing.

6. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

This is going to sound way begin-ish but I have always loved the basic step of salsa(back-forth). Why? Because there isn't another move to which a person can add so much style/passion/foot placement/hip movement/the connection to your partner/the distance whether farther or closer/ the explosivens from barely moving to the cross body and a few moves.... ahhhhh

There can be 10 different songs yet when you do the basic you can make it look 10 different ways all with a little creativeness... Love it... I always still use the basic, a couple of moves then bang a few basics to flavor the song.

7. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

In Waltz the open to closed position while turning; 3 measures of these. Similar to the throwout in Lindy Hop and WCS.

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Absolutely beautiful, borikensalsero! Beginner or no beginner. Over and over, I've seen really excellent dancers make "beginning" moves, like the salsa basic, look anything but basic. That's where the quality of your dancing shows. Take away all the flash and the spins, and the intricate stuff, and what's left? Good quality dancing. And it shows, even in the basic. I'm with you. :D

Jenn

9. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

sharp hips
    shimmies
    camels

...it's a bellydance thing! :D

10. pygmalion

That's it! Now I HAVE to try the bellydancing thing! Sharp hips? What the heck is that? Time for some private bellydancing lessons! :lol: :lol:

11. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

Hmm...how to describe sharp hips.

~ Stand with your weight evenly distributed on both your legs/feet.
    ~ Slight bend your knees and keep your head straight.
    ~ Place your arms straight down at your sides...now curve at your elbows to frame your hips.
    ~ Quickly transfer all your weight to your right leg while lifting your right hip (imagine trying to close your car door with your hip because your arms are full of groceries).
    ~ Now repeat on the left.

...there you go, a quick bellydance lesson! :wink:

12. pygmalion

Thanks for the freebie dance lesson, but I must say, I'm too dense to get it. I'm too tired for this to make sense. Will try in the morning, and, if that fails, sign up for private lessons. :D :D

Actually, I'm totally impressed by belly dancers. Anybody with that much muscular control is okay in my book!!! :D

13. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

My signature move: x-body lead with a waist turn, checking the turn with my hands around her waist, and then sending her into a free spin on the next 678. So sexy and fun!! :)

14. MissAlyssa

MissAlyssa New Member

samba rolls are FUN!!!