Salsa > Favorite Salsa Songs

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Larinda McRaven, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

So what songs are in your ipod that you cannot do without?

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I dont have an I Pod, but, heres a couple of new releases that are on my play list ,for my upcoming "gig" .......

Conjunto Sabrosura... La Camay
    Grupo Nemus... Tu Eres La Reina
    La Maxima.. El Nino Me

It's me. likes this.
  3. It's me.

It's me. Member

Could anyone please give a link for a playlist that the rhythm isn't that complicate please? And also, could you please name some more famous and favorite salsa songs? Thank you in advance!

4. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Anything by Marc Anthony goes well with me...the man can do no wrong...

MaggieMoves likes this.
  5. tangotime

There really isn't a "list "..
    salsa music, by its very nature, IS complex. But, I believe what you are looking for, are songs with a defined "beat ".

One of the bands I just listed ( LA Maxima ) has an album where pretty much all the songs, may suit your purpose. It also has 2 songs in a Cha cha rhythm .

Also, if you are new to the genre, it will take time to gain an understanding of all the different styles of "salsa " that are played and to which people will dance.

Here are some main categories......

Old school mambo.. music from the 40s thru the 70s
    Salsa Dura... early mid 70s style change out of NYC
    Salsa ..mid 1980s thru 2015..new bands emerging with a different "take " on composition..
    Lastly... salsa Romantica.. not popular with hardcore salseros

Timba.. a style from Cuba that is very complex and heavy on percussion.
    There's also a style ,that is common in the genre, called "Son ". In matter of fact, it is the one, that ALL the salsa styles are based . Its 2 fold. a Dance, and a "style ".

Country styles that are somewhat new..
    Japan.. Australia.. Sweden.. UK.. and many more..

Lastly, a very major style..

Colombian, (world capital of salsa ). In addition to salsa, even when played as such, it is common for passages of other styles to be inserted ,as for ex. " Cumbia ", very common in Colombian style salsa .
    If its any comfort to you, there are many salsa teachers , that have a complete understanding of the genre .

Suggestion.. go to ..descarga.com.. you will see a list of the different styles of music that are available. Pick a genre and find songs that have "clips " to which you may listen ( being a DJ, this is how I select my music ) .

Buena suerte..

P.S. If you want to see/listen to what is current, go to .. salsa forums .

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  6. tangotime

Great voice.. BUT.. not a salsa singer of note ( no pin ) Romantica ,is his forte

7. maro92

maro92 New Member

I like "El Sol de la Noche - Salsa Celtica"

8. tangotime

Unfortunately, not high on hardly anyones list ( Scots excepted :D ).

Jag75 likes this.
  9. ajiboyet

I LOVE this song. But it isn't a salsa.

Hmnnn...the man does hold a world record for his salsa music you know...

10. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

My favorite of his:

Dancing Irishman likes this.
  11. tangotime

That.. does not make him a "salsero" in the traditional sense, as pretty much ALL hard core dancers would agree ( but do give him props ).He's very savvy business wise.
    And, I wonder how many know that, he's a pretty fair actor .

I also will say, that he chose the path he did, and so typical of his voice style ( so many more like him ) who never seem to go over with the dance scene.

I should add, I do not dislike the Romantica style of salsa, but, there are many others( I have along list !) who I would choose over him .Other than the States, I can't comment on his club popularity .And, when I DJ, I never get asked for his music.

If you posted this on the S.Forums, you would get near an identical response...

The one exception is ; in latino clubs, he does find some popularity, particularly with the ladies..

Lastly.... Music is VERY subjective, and the "taste" in styles is a good thing..

12. ajiboyet

Would you mind sharing a list of your favorite salsa singers? Top 3?

13. timberamayor

timberamayor Member

I'll chime in with my 3 favorite singers, not sure in which order and they are all Cuban singers since Cuban music and dance is my obsession.

Mayito Rivera
    Paulo FG
    Number 3 is hard to choose maybe Issac Delgado.

14. tangotime

I tend to pick my music by a combo of singer AND band/song.

There are few " soneros " that, make up the endless list of artists. And, we should divide them nto Male and Female

Its a difficult choice at best, but, for da ladies..

Albita Rodriguez...the singer in Conjunto Sabrosuras band, and and I guess, Celia Cruz.. for the men, a tough choice, so many great voices.

For the men.... Heres a few.. " Canario " ..Mikel Batista,

Cuco Valoy, and Angel Canales .
    One could also add a list of the salsa romantic stylists, again, many from which to choose.
    Bottom lime.. music/singers is a very subjective topic .

Its also like asking anyone what is their fave. salsa song.. answer.. how long is a piece of string !

15. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca Member

Oscar De León has done loads of songs that fit the above criteria - famous, favourite and a clear rhythm.

Jag75 likes this.
  16. MTS

MTS New Member

Boranda, by Sonora Poncena

Jag75 likes this.
  17. JimmyGermany

JimmyGermany New Member

Soledad, by La33
    Aint Nobody, by Alex Wilson
    Lloras, by Dimension Latina (my favourite)

18. Jag75

Jag75 Active Member

As a hard-core salsa dancer and DJ I can ascertain that Marc Anthony is very low on the list. Fania all the way :)

tangotime likes this.