Salsa > Favorite Setting for Salsa!

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Sabor, May 18, 2004.

1. Sabor

Sabor New Member

what is/has been your favorite salsa setting/venue/location thus far.. the place that u enjoy(ed) best? :banana: on the beach .. on a cruiser.. a club with a unique setting.. open air venues.. etc.. and where?

for me, we used to have nights on the roof top of a Cruiser on the river Nile.. the decor was mostly bamboo wood and designed to immitate the 'island scene' .. it was open air and the view was gorgeous as u could see the city spread out with lights at night not to mention the river itself and stars in the sky :p ..it was really a great mood setter and helped promote the salsa scene here alot..

unfortunately.. the nights there are no more :( .. hope it comes back some day..

2. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Pinnacle Club in Denver on the 38th Floor of the Qwest building. Great floor and a gorgeous view of the Denver night skyline.

3. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Hmmmm......let's see:

-- St. Kilda beach at an open-air cafe, right on the beach front, steps away from the sand, during Sunday sunset in summer monthes

-- Alumbra, this Morocan style bar in the riverfront (used to be part of a shipping wharf). Rueda under the stars in warm summer air

-- Darling Harbour, Syd Bacardi. Dancing 5-in-a-row with CapricornDancer on the balcony of Port Orient (Chinese Restaurant/Salsa club).

-- Lakeside Seattle, Lattitude ? summer 1999. Great view to the lake!

4. salsero-Romania

salsero-Romania New Member

:))

Interesting topic .....
    my favourite local setting???? maybe i don't have a answer ...because we have just a one salsa club in our town.......but my favourite will be my salsa club ...:)) it's my dream ...and maybe in future......i will have a club:)) after 1 year, 2 or 10 years ...doesn't matter ........

5. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Out next to the Hudson river in NY City peer 21st. It wasn't the setting but the energy there that night. It was unbelievable, I've yet to date, dance as good as I did that day. The band was, Jimmy Sabater Y Sonboricua, there must have been over 500 people dancing. It smelled of late afternoon just before the sun sleeps. A smell particular to NY City, guys, I'm not talking about the stench from the subways, but that smell that says, YOU ARE IN NY CITY! Ever since a boy I can remember that smell, whenever someone opened his or her suitcase freshly arrived from NY City, you just knew where they’d been.

There was just something there that evening, for the very first time my energy didn't get lost in the vastness of an open air event. It wasn't the kind of dancing that is deep soul connecting, but rather the equilibrium of energy finally reached at a place where East, West, North, and South was infinite. That has been my favorite spot to dance in. The sight of the river, the tall buildings at one side, a zenith which was there but I couldn't see, yet became part of. That is definitely the bestest place, and to date, my mostest favortiest bestest place to dance. I think. hehe

6. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Geez, Boriken.....I missed out by going there, summer '99, for Tito Nieves gig :x ! It rained that day, and no one I knew could confirm whether it was cancelled or not........so I did something else instead :roll: .

Gotta visit NYC soon........

7. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

They definitely have some very sweet bands there, you have to come back!

8. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Was that the event where your dad demonstrated his great picture taking ability? :D :p

I haven't gone out to many Salsa venues...only 5 or 6 that I can think of in my few months of dancing. I'm not sure what my favorite is...my Salsa dancings spots are ever expanding and changing...but I do love my regular Sunday night venue...;)

SG

9. tj

tj New Member

This is interesting - when I think about my favorite settings, I tend to think more about my favorite dance experiences more than the actual setting. In that, having a particularly nice dance sticks out in my mind much more than how good the club/music/DJ/environment was.

But staying on topic, I really liked the Vancouver Rowing Club from last October's Congress. Nice floor, you could go outside and enjoy the fresh cool air right there on the bay. Very scenic.

My favorite local place would be the Century Ballroom. Huge floor, lots of dancers, no smoking, cheap entry fee.

10. Pacion

Pacion New Member

sniff, sniff Sabor :roll: the past is past. I will only think about the future and my favourite place to dance? Where ever you are :twisted:

:lol: :banana: :lol:

11. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Yeap, that's the one, I always look back at that day. Wondering how in the heck I managed to dance the way I did. At the end of the night a photographer from germany came up to me to say that he was taking pictures of me and used a bunch of roles on me and my lady, then went on to ask if I was a professional, and if I could sing a disclaimer form that if case he used the pics in his magazine. I laughed and said my friend, I don't even know my left from my right, but I did sign the form. Wonder if he ever used the photos. Hmmmm, I should have asked his name at least.

12. Vin

Vin New Member

I have not yet had my ideal salsa experience. There are certain things my ideal salsa experience would include:
    1) A good live band,
    something about a live band makes me feel more of the energy.
    2) An attraction, to a dancer
    There should definitely be a certain someone around. I think it may
    be better if you haven't gotten to know them too well, I wouldn't know
    since I have never had a serious relationship with a dancer before.
    3) Alchohol,
    Even though I don't drink very often the presence of alchohol makes
    the setting a bit livelier.
    4) A good amount of people for the venue,
    I can't stand too many or to few people,
    With too many people it gets to crowded, with too few it kind of gets
    depressing also I like dancing with alot of different people.
    5) I have never had an outdoor salsa experience, but I would imagine
    that an open air venue would be better than an enclosed one.

13. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Vin, your list is interesting.

1) A good live band,
    Danced to live music last weekend and weekend before. I definitely agree with you -- it was electric!

2) An attraction, to a dancer
    I have a feeling that I'd actually enjoy having all my favourite leaders in one place than just having a certain someone. Then again, having a relationship with a dancer might change that...

3) Alchohol,
    I can't say I've noticed...

4) A good amount of people for the venue,
    Yes -- not too quiet, not overcrowed.

5) I have never had an outdoor salsa experience, but I would imagine
    that an open air venue would be better than an enclosed one.

Er, depends on where you are. In Scotland (especially West of Scotland), open air may not work too well for dancing. Let's see, you can have:
    Wet,
    Windy,
    Wet and windy,
    Clear and cold (clear nights are never warm in Scotland), or
    Dry, warm(ish) and with swarms of midges about, ready to stink you dry.
    :lol:

My best salsa experience to date was at the Merlin in Edinburgh -- nothing spectacular to look at, but it has good music (95% salsa) and a good, large floor, most of my favourite dancers turn up there regularly, and hardly any non-dancers wander in. Just a good place for non-stop dancing. Now if they could bring in a live band and all my favourite Glasgow dancers without making the place too crowded, it would be pretty close to perfect for me!

14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

1) live band
    2) A good number of people, or a packed crowd that knows about dance etiquiette
    3) no alcohol
    4) good dance floor
    3) location--A place high up with good views, outdoors, or indoors with a good set-up

15. Sabor

Sabor New Member

i also love dancing on the beach when a wooden floor/stage is present! .. the atmosphere was fab.. the sun, sand, waves, breeze, palm trees, beach bar and the pikinis! :shock: 8)

16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Until now I've danced in smoky clubs with cruddy floors or dance studios which are sometimes a bit too "tame" for me(I prefer the club mood/atmosphere).

Ideally, I would like a live band, but a competent DJ would suffice, a full bar, a decent dance floor, a water fountain, clean restrooms where you don't have to "wade" in your dance shoes(yes, done that many times- YUCK!) and place to put yer stuff.(Some clubs have coin lockers here!)
    Good lighting (i.e. dimmer switches) to be able to adjust the mood to the dancers, would be nice, too!

17. tj

tj New Member

Recently, I've been enjoying the smaller venues in town. The floor tends to be less crowded and people seem to be less on edge, too.

I have an interesting observation - there seems to be a general consensus on DF that live bands are preferred over DJ's. In my experience IRL, it's the opposite. Most of my friends over the years prefer a good DJ over a band that plays 15 minute songs with bad acoustics and changing rhythms.

Not that it's important or anything, but I do find it interesting how different it is.

18. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Well for me a bad band is worse than a bad DJ, but a good band can't be beat!

19. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Same here!

I think DJ's are a safer bet though, since even if they're playing garbage each song is typically only 1/3 as long...

20. Vin

Vin New Member

I was going to agree, but then I realized I disagree, a good/mediocre dj is better than a bad band, but nothing upsets me more than a really bad dj.
    A really bad dj plays 10% salsa when it is a salsa night,
    will start to mix the salsa songs together,
    and all other sorts of really irritating things.
    My preference is
    Good band
    Mediocre Band
    Good DJ
    Mediocre DJ
    Bad Band
    Bad DJ