Salsa > Favorite Setting for Salsa!

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Sabor, May 18, 2004.

1. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Moi, j'adore le chocolat, l'amour, et la Salsa! (Mais, je connais que TOUT LE MONDE ici adorer la Salsa! Ahhh, j'aime beaucoup le francais!)

:D :cheers: :D

SK :kitty:

(PS- Just thinking about it now... That "cheers" emoticon reminds me of a Swedish toast my second cousin twice removed (mouthful, isn't it?) Jan taught me. Goes as follows:

"Miskol, Diskol, Alavaka flikaskol! (sp on any of it??)" Which means:
    "Here's to me, Here's to you, Here's to all the pretty girls!"

:lol: :lol: *shrugs* I know it's not exactly a girls' cheer, but I think it's funny! *thinks* Must ask him how to say "pretty boys..." :lol: :twisted: 8) )

2. Sabor

Sabor New Member

pas tout les salser@s?.. s'est normal aussi :wink:

3. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

ENGLISH PLEASE!!!!

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Tu ne parle pas francais, tu ne connais pas francais!! :shock: :wink: :)

Moi, j'ai etudie (supposed to be I studied, as in the past but I have forgotten how to conjugate my verbs :oops: ) francais pour sept ans, mais mais...francais ce n'est pas facile pour moi!

5. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:doh: Nous n'oublions pas tes salseras! :wink: Mais quoi de nos salseros? :D

Tes passe composer pour "j'ai etudie" est correctment! La a ete beau! (<--It was beautiful!) Bravo, Sagitta! Sept ans, t'utilises tres bien! 8)

Desolee, JS! --Er, sorry JS! :lol:

6. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Yo amo el espanol mucho mas, pero no puedo hablar muy bien :(

7. Sabor

Sabor New Member

ahhh pobrecito squirrel :lol:

8. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: PHWEEEEEE?!?!!? Je ne comprend pas!!!!!

9. Sabor

Sabor New Member

ahhh pobrecito Sakura.. lol

10. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I meant to say "I like Spanish better, but I cannot speak it well" :lol: :lol:

11. Sakura

Sakura New Member

QUOI?!? :shock: :shock: :shock: *confused* Is that supposed to be like, "Poor Sakura...?"

12. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

@squirrel - I agree!!! spanish is so much better :D

13. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Japanese and French all the way!!!! :D (Even though I'm SURE a two-year-old knows more Japanese than I do right now... =o_O= Not a very comforting thought... :oops: :wink: )

14. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

I dabble in French, but nothing to brag about. Japanese is cool, even cooler if you can read & write the confounded Chinese characters, though! :wink:

15. Sakura

Sakura New Member

=-_-=... Kanji... My eternal foe! :D I know some by recognition, and I can write a few. Can I read them in a sentence? Heck no... =>_<=

16. ThatHaitianSwede

ThatHaitianSwede New Member

the only spanish I know is 'me gusta', mais je parle francais tres tres bien :)

All I know is that ya'll been to all these exotic locations distant cruise ships in the Nile. (sorry if I'm getting off topic :lol: ) But I know that my favorite salsa setting consists of just regular people. I've only gone to one salsa nightclub in my life (I'm fairly new to this still) and I know that what I like so much about club dancing vs. other art forms is that it's just about you your partner and the music & feeling that is exchanged between you two. No showing off, or glory, just regualar working class people enjoying themselves. Yeah . . . a very humble setting is the best for me.

17. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

I can identify with this haitianswede....you should come to Jamaica sometime :D you'll feel right at home where I go salsa dancing :)

18. Lita_rulez

Lita_rulez New Member

Well, if it can give you any confort, you are still probably better in japanese then I am (never been able to get past lesson 7... :oops: )
    Just takes to much time for something I have no one to practice with !

Spanish is probably the next language I am going to learn though. I so want to understand the words I am listening to every night ! Not so much the salsa lyrics mind you, but rather the bachata lyrics. I have had a few songs translated to me, and boy do I relate ! Almost like reading country lyrics ;)

I hear you ThatHaitianSwede : one need be no place specific to enjoy a wonderfull dance with a great partner on a wonderfull song. I actualy went to a club yesterday that a friend has been trying to drag me to for a couple of weeks now.
    First of all, let me start by saying I really love the club I usualy go to. The main grudge many have against it is there is no clim there. So it is very very hot.
    Now as for that club my friend wanted to drag me to, he told me :
    the floor is terrible : just concrete, sticky as hell.
    It is very very hot in there, much hotter then where we usually go.
    The dance level is nowhere near the one at the place we go to.
    The sound system is not at good either.
    But I am having a great time every week, it is just a relaxed mood, most people are there just to have fun and enjoy themselves, every one is friendly

I ended up having a very good time, though it actually is hotter than hell, no room to dance, no outa-this-world follow (nor lead as far as I could tell)
    and the floor is so sticky that even with everyone gone, and giving it all I've got, I could not pass more than a double spin... And there was 80% cuban music !!!(I have turned to the dark side and only dance mambonowadays)

But the mood in the room was just... enjoyable. You are to hot ? Get a coke, kick back, relax, chat a bit with the lady next to you, and go back after a few songs...
    And anyways, the music was switching a lot faster than it usualy is in the clubs I go to : I got there at 10:30pm and it closed down (early because of a litle incident) at 1:30. Well we got 3 sets of Bachata, 3 sets of zouk, 3 sets of merengue !
    So after a few salsa, you get a drink, and after a while, when you feel like dancing again, wam, bachata my friend ! SO you dont get hot right away, you can just let it go... then a few salsa, a drink... merengue !

Yep, very good time indeed, I'll go back ocasonally !

So you see, the seting is not the most important thing, and I can have a blast anywhere.

But believe me, if I had my choice for "just one dance" I am not quite sure what partner I would pick, but most definitly it would be in cannes, on the beach, on a very good floor, with the sound of the tide next to us, a beautifull sunset, a light breeze, and... well, my favourit song of the moment (if I had to pick now, it would definitly be "Lady")

And a setting like that is so special precisely because it is something that you don't do very often. It adds to the dance, because it is not the usual surroundings, it is much better. It doesn't mean I don't enjoy the places I dance at otherwise (cause I do) and it doesn't mean I'd like to dance there all the time. I like it to be something exceptional, something to cherish, something to look forward to. I don't want it to become so usual, so much of a habit, that it is flavorless. I want each time I go there (so basicaly once a year) to go :
    "Wow, this is truely a marvelous setting. How could it get any better than that !"

19. squirrel

squirrel New Member

which are the places to go dance Salsa in Paris, Lita? I wanna go back to Paris and this time I shall have the list of the coolest places!!! Can you please help?

20. Lita_rulez

Lita_rulez New Member

Of course I can, and I will gladly do so, but I do have two litle questions first :

1. What style do you want to dance ? (Cuban, Mambo on 1, on 2, all of them, etc.)

2. When are you coming ? (dates for me to know if I'll be in paris or not, days to know what clubs are interesting on those days)